Author Topic: Graphics Drivers  (Read 1690 times)

Offline TheNH813

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6.0
Graphics Drivers
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:32:57 pm »
Which is the newest version of the Linux kernel that has version.h inside it's source code or headers package? Version.h is required for the drivers of my GPU to compile correctly. Maybe I could patch an older version.h to work on a newer kernel. I need to install either ATI Catalyst 9.X or AMD Catalyst 13.X from source (The ati-<version>-something-x86_x64.run file).

The builtin radeon drivers do not preform as well as the proprietary drivers by FAR for the ATI HD4350. In fact, I know from regular Ubuntu 14.04 vs Windows XP that most games get triple the FPS in Windows if I'm using the open source Radeon driver on Linux. The proprietary driver gets about 12.5% better performance on Linux relative to XP in my experience. I keep Windows for the very few things that I can't do on Linux, set up with different system profiles so the same real HDD partition can boot in either a VM or real hardware. I'd prefer to play my Steam games on Linux if possible, because all the ones I use have native versions available.

Could someone tell me where to get a compatible kernel version or tell me how to add a version.h and a few other files back? I really don't want to download 3.8 off kernel.org and apply the Ubuntu patches, compile, compile drivers and cross my fingers. I have other hardware that does not play nice with the legacy kernel 3.2 which is available in apt.

For now I'l post this, wait for the install to finish, and reboot then check on my post again.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Graphics Drivers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but there are multiple "version.h" files in the kernel headers .. including:
Code: [Select]
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-31/include/uapi/linux/dvb/version.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-31/include/xen/interface/version.h
and then there are other "version.h" files on the system, including one for virtualbox (if you have it installed)

So you'll need to  be a bit more specific.

Are the proprietary fglrx drivers not  being offered by "Additional Drivers" ?

[EDIT]

I could be wrong here, but I gather that support for the HD 4xxx series was dropped by ATI/AMD from their proprietary drivers after Ubuntu 12.04 so you're not going to be able to install them in Peppermint 6 without downgrading both the kernel and xorg version (the kernel would probably be easy, the xorg version not so much)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:30:12 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline TheNH813

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:13:19 pm »
It's the version.h found in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
Drivers installer complains of missing version.h because it's no longer there. I'v been researching old kernel release notes and I found out since kernel 3.7 it's been moved. This was because of a slight drivers API change or something.
The new location is /usr/src/linux/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
Supposedly a symlink of a few files fixes this problem and will allow most old drivers to build in up to kernel 3.14. And, of course, the source code must be configured for this file to be present, which I make sure of.

Do I really need to downgrade X? On Ubuntu 13.X forcing the driver to load regardless of ABI version complaints worked. The driver supports versions of Xorg higher then 6.9, but I'm unsure of the highest version supported. The current release is like version 7.5 or something, right?

No, the fglrx in "Additional Drivers" reports no supported hardware found. I need the legacy version. Support was dropped since about 2013, but this card isn't that old, probably like 5 years at the most. The HD4350 has 512M of RAM and a 128 core graphics processor running at like 650 something Mhz. It's actually "new" to my PC as of a few weeks ago because it's the latest card compatible with my motherboard. Previously I was using a card from the very early 2000s, A GeForce 3 Ti 200 with 4 cores and 64M of RAM. My CPU is a Pentium D Extreme (about Core2Duo equivalent) and works great for all my needs. I didn't know that AMD drops cards from Linux drivers after about 5 years, because there's actually a WHQL certified Win8 driver available. This'l be a first time I'v ever seen something still work on Windows instead of vice versa.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? If it compiles, should I try it or downgrade X immediately first?

I like your signature BTW.

EDIT:
Additionally, this will be my first ever 64 bit Linux install, despite having a 64 bit CPU for a few years.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:22:34 pm by TheNH813 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:02:20 pm »
Who knows :-\

I'd try adding your symlinks and see if the driver compiles and installs .. I assume there's a way of removing them again from the command line if necessary.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline TheNH813

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:04:41 pm »
The drivers built like I thought they would, but they are buggy. X starts perfectly, but as soon as I open something that uses hardware acceleration like a game or media player (even Chrome if acceleration is on) it drops out to the login screen. This is because X dies and lightdm restarts automatically. Lots of GPU lockups even just using file browsers, LibreOffice or Audacity.

The answer to will it run is, kindof, but NOPE.

Gonna download the version of Peppermint based on 12.04 and use that.
Still got 2 years of updates on that and when necessary I can dist-upgrade, but holding back the kernel and X.

EDIT:
Why are the DL links on the peppermintos.com site always ridiculously slow nomatter what internet connection I use? On a 6M connection and got 42K-80K/s. Could I get a magnet link for Peppermint OS 3? I'm NOT waiting 18 hours.

EDIT2:
Just gonna install Bodhi Linux on this PC, which is what I had before but I needed to reinstall so I choose Peppermint instead because I liked the features better. Peppermint works fine when I set it up on my Parent's PC a month ago or so for them to use alongside a reinstall of Windows 7. It just dosen't play nice with my D865GSA motherboard or my graphics drivers on my computer though, so I'm giving up for now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:09:53 pm by TheNH813 »