Choose style:

Author Topic: Salix (Slackware)  (Read 774 times)

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 Beta / P9 Respin
Salix (Slackware)
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:59:16 am »
As a non technical person, it is a real shame that Arch/Gentoo/Slackware remain so elitist.

Why do they not understand that so called "easy instructions" http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:software:google-chrome just turn some folks to jelly.   Seriously you might as well be talking Cantonese.

As it so happens - I did manage to follow these particular instructions - but not without trepidation and a load of butterflies regarding was I going to royally screw it up.  The answer is no and Google Chrome duly installed... but NO wait... where its it.  Oh there it is in the Internet section looking like a txt Document.   SERIOUSLY I go through all that and they don't even have the decency to include a bloody icon for it.   Here we go back to the forums to work out how to add a decent icon to the program that has been installed.

and yet there are people out there who say Linux is easier and more intuitive to use than windows. Seriously, come on.  OK OK OK, I get that I have chosen a really bloody awkward distro - I get that.. but the average Joe in the street just isn't interested in this awkward/techy/downrightunfriendly method of, what should be, a simple task of installing the browser of choice.

THANK GOD FOR PEPPERMINT6 OS - if there are any elitist linux users out there reading this.  PEPPERMINT ROCKS, who needs the above headache just because I wanted Google Chrome and not Firefox.

ps as a foot note.  Salix does run really well on my setup.  Just not sure I want the above headaches involved with running it.

Off to visit my Dr now and have a chat with him - this can't be normal behaviour, why do I put myself through this?  :-\
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:41:18 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 Beta x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Salix (Slackware)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »
LOL .. that *IS* Slack making it easy :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec