Choose style:

Author Topic: apt-get Vs apt  (Read 1293 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
apt-get Vs apt
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:29:51 am »
http://www.howtogeek.com/234583/simplify-command-line-package-management-with-apt-instead-of-apt-get/

OK Technical guru's...   answers on a post card please.    (for postcard please read "Reply here")

Good / Bad / Indifferent / Not wrong but not right either ???

Thanks in advance Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: apt-get Vs apt
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
If you're wanting to know if that works, yes it does.  I do it all the time.  Instead of running:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get upgrade

I just run:

apt upgrade

I saw a explanation on the Peppermint Facebook page a few months back that explains why it works.  I'm 99.9% sure it was PCNetSpec who explained it, so I'll leave that to him as I'll probably screw it up if I try explaining it.  But, I can attest to the fact that it works.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:10:12 pm »
apt-get  it is then   8)

Thank you.

Edit... how did this suddenly get before you replied lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:18:47 pm by zebedeeboss »

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:16:21 pm »
Good / Bad / Indifferent / Not wrong but not right either ???

I'll give you some of my *thoughts*...

I've used one OR the other, separately - and one AND the other, at the same time.

If you use one OR the other, yes, there's a learning curve involved, but in time you'll get comfortable and proficient in either. 

IMO, one isn't necessarily easier nor better than the other.  It just depends on WHAT your intended usage is. 

Considering the things that most 'desktop' users do, they are better served using APT-GET.  However, if you work in a NOC, for instance, and need to maintain remote servers across a network, APT is a much better choice. 

Because of the perceived limitations of APT-GET, when used in a professional environment, APT-GET has rightly or wrongly earned a reputation as being for noobs, I.E no bragging rights.  APT, on the other hand, has been crowned King of the Hill by snooty admins and amateur wannabes, ever since I can remember.  Nothing new here.

In regard to the article above, it sounds like Michael Tunnell is journeying down the primrose path, and wants to take us along for the ride.  That's fine.  More power to him.  I've read a zillion articles like this, for years, and been involved in many discussions on various forums, which eventually turn into flame wars, and are locked.

LET'S NOT DO THAT HERE, OKAY ?   ;D

That said...

I've found that both have their pluses and minuses.  In my mind, it's like salt n' pepper. 

For the things I do, I am better served by using both at the same time.  The problem is, you need to be very careful when using both of them at the same time.

I suppose the best way to describe it is...  It's like mixing n' matching repositories.  The trick is to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, using a gambling analogy.  If you forget which repos are enabled or disabled, you will pay the price eventually, believe me.  CHROOT will become your best friend, when you start playing this game.   8)

Anyway, my advice is to stick with APT-GET, and leave APT to those in the 'professional' circles.  And, if you decide to be adventuresome and use them both at the same time, don't be surprised at the occasional mess it will create.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »
There's no difference .. apt is a script that basically runs sudo apt-get (and some of the other "apt" tools in their true long format)

If you look at the contents of:
gedit /usr/bin/apt
you'll see it's basically just a bunch of aliases for "sudo apt-get" depending on the next part of the command.

so
apt install leafpad
really just runs
sudo apt-get install leafpad

IIRC, the apt script was added some time around 11.04 just to shorten what you had to type .. anyone who used Ubuntu from before that will generally use "sudo apt-get" because it's how they learned (and is also more flexible, though I can't off the top of my head remember what it can do that "apt" alone can't)

I use apt-get because I'm used to it, it's capable of more, and I figure if you're going to teach anyone teach them the correct way .. once they understand the correct way they can choose the shortcut if they wish ;)

It's neither better or worse .. but there are a couple of things it can't do, so I reckon why confuse matters and always use the full command.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:16:01 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Much like we used to do when on some Unix servers at work back in the mid 90's.    Show the new guys how to manually do something line by line and then 3 months later tell them...  "Oh run this script.....  It does all that for you"   That way when it went wrong they knew where and why 😛

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:26:33 am by zebedeeboss »

Linux User #565092

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:13:15 pm »
Egg-Zactly :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec