Author Topic: P6 network error "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused"  (Read 2778 times)

Offline nutrialex

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
I have just installed PeppermintOS 6 on an Asus netbook. I was very fascinated how light it was on this atom netbook.
However a problem showed.
I am not able to see network shares at all. The network shares are all on a debian machine and there are open for everyone in the network. I cannot also see the printer which is installed on this machine and ths is the biggest problem.

I have installed samba but nothing changed. I have nothing on this netbook willing to share. I just want to see the shared folders on the network which are seeing freely by others windows and android machines.

When I am on file explorer --> network, It gives me a network named "Workgroup" instead of "alex". When I try to open it gives me this error : "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused"  (I understand that "Workgroup" is the workroup set on debian machine, although all other windows and android machines see it as "alex" which is the user name on debian machine"

How to solve thiw problem. It's essential for me.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:58:49 am by nutrialex »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
What happens if you open the nemo file  manager, then hit Ctrl+L (to toggle the location entry), then in the location entry box enter
smb://<ip.address.of.debian-pc>
and hit enter

for example
Code: [Select]
smb://192.168.1.22
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nutrialex

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
What happens if you open the nemo file  manager, then hit Ctrl+L (to toggle the location entry), then in the location entry box enter
smb://<ip.address.of.debian-pc>
and hit enter

for example
Code: [Select]
smb://192.168.1.22

Simple amazing.
Ι can see everything this way !!!

Do I have to do something next? So as the printer also will work?

P.S. Sorry for the delay, I forgot to turn on the notifications.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:01:04 am by nutrialex »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Make sure EVERYTHING on the network is in the WORKGROUP workgroup (or some other workgroup as long as they're all the same, personally I set everything to the same as my routers SSID) .. then make sure your routers IP is set as the primary DNS.

The other option would be to give everything static IP's .. then either use IP's instead of hostnames, or set the hostnames --> IP's in your hosts file.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:14:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec