Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 Accurate Linux Theme Released for Almost All Major Desktops  (Read 6629 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Windows 10 Accurate Linux Theme Released for Almost All Major Desktops
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 02:38:23 pm »
Let me be the first then  :P  Can we have a Windows theme please

You do know the answer to that, right ? ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 02:39:51 pm »

Yeah... refer to the options in the 1st post on this thread  :P
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 02:49:41 pm »
I'd probably have phrased it slightly differently but yeah ;) .. Zebedee was always the smart one :)
(at least compared to Dougal, Ermintrude, and my personal favourite Dylan)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 03:00:47 pm »
Honestly making Peppermint look like Windows is a bit like wanting your Mercedes to look like a Morris Oxford, far better just to install Windows and you can have it run like a Morris Oxford as well

Graeme
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:04:06 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 03:24:29 pm »
Honestly making Peppermint look like Windows is a bit like wanting your Mercedes to look like a Morris Oxford, far better just to install Windows and you can have it run like a Morris Oxford as well

Graeme

I had to have my Morris "pimped" out to take all the HDD's    :o

but it still runs sweet as....
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 04:17:47 pm »
I had to have my Morris "pimped" out to take all the HDD's

That's nice very nice indeed and in peppermint red, it;s amazing what you can do with a few Minor alterations  :)

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 11:30:00 pm »

The answer is yes, provided you make it yourself.  :P

Well, it did.  I quit using that method in 2006 and haven't had a cigarette since.

I never said you didn't

I never said you said I didn't. ;)  I was merely pointing out that it does work.  Really, quitting is different for each person and different methods work for different people.  Whether or not a person is successful comes down to willpower.  Much like quitting Windows.  ;)  Hell, it was harder for me to quit Windows than it was to quit smoking.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 01:56:21 am »
I never said you said I didn't. ;)  I was merely pointing out that it does work.  Really, quitting is different for each person and different methods work for different people.  Whether or not a person is successful comes down to willpower.  Much like quitting Windows.  ;)  Hell, it was harder for me to quit Windows than it was to quit smoking.

I know what you're saying, I only used the gradual reduction analogy as a way of pointing out that I think it's often harder to come off something that way ie as far as I understand Nicorette patches (which is gradual reduction) has a 95% failure rate and I still believe for most people gradual reduction only makes it harder and ultimately doesn't work it certainly didn't for me and I think the same applies for people moving from Windows to Linux,

Linux is not Windows and it shouldn't look or feel like Windows and any attempt to do so is a deception, I've moved a few people over to Linux and I used to bend over backwards to help them adapt to it because I somehow felt responsible but now my outlook is

This is Linux this is how it works it's different from Windows but it's just as easy to use, there is a learning curve so if you need any help let me know but if it's too much effort to learn it then go back to Windows

Graeme

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
Yeah, Nicorette, Nicoderm, etc. is all bad because it still feeds the source of the addiction, the nicotine.  Then they have those electronic cigarettes now that also deliver nicotine but with "harmless" water vapor.  (my mom knows somebody who got seriously ill off of the "harmless" water vapor)  Substituting one addiction for another never works because the source of the addiction is still there.  Quitting smoking is mental and it requires the strength of will to power through some serious cravings.  Having something else to occupy your time helps, having another source of nicotine doesn't.  I had a hobby that helped me get through it.

As for the whole Windows/Linux thing, I agree with all of your points, Graeme.  Linux is different.  Not bad different, just different.  People need to realize that from the start.

Though, honestly, what keeps people in Windows isn't the way it looks.  Program compatibility is what keeps people there and no theme in the world will add that compatibility to Linux.  Switching to Linux is a matter of not only learning different ways of doing things, but also of finding software alternatives.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 11:04:45 am »
Though, honestly, what keeps people in Windows isn't the way it looks.  Program compatibility is what keeps people there and no theme in the world will add that compatibility to Linux.  Switching to Linux is a matter of not only learning different ways of doing things, but also of finding software alternatives.
+1

And Hardware compatibility (driver support)... but that's not the fault of Linux!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2015, 11:29:45 pm »
True, hardware support is an ongoing issue and one that is the fault of the OEMs.  However, when a piece of hardware doesn't work, they aren't always the ones who get the blame.  A lot of people point the finger at Linux itself, like it's Linus Torvalds' or other Linux coders' responsibility to create drivers for everything.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 02:12:44 am »
True, hardware support is an ongoing issue and one that is the fault of the OEMs.  However, when a piece of hardware doesn't work, they aren't always the ones who get the blame.  A lot of people point the finger at Linux itself, like it's Linus Torvalds' or other Linux coders' responsibility to create drivers for everything.
That's the truth.  It's something the Linux critics love to falsely use and spread.  This is why the majority of Windows only users believe that the hardware and software incompatibilities are a deficiency of the Linux kernel.   Rather than merely, the shortsightedness and laziness of the OEMs and their bean counters.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 09:22:02 am »
That's the truth.  It's something the Linux critics love to falsely use and spread.  This is why the majority of Windows only users believe that the hardware and software incompatibilities are a deficiency of the Linux kernel.   Rather than merely, the shortsightedness and laziness of the OEMs and their bean counters.

Right.  Plus, those same users completely ignore the fact that there are plenty of incompatibilities with Windows.  I mean, who doesn't remember the Vista roll out, where hardly anything, especially printers, had Vista drivers?  That was fun.  Though, in all fairness, I do believe many of them did blame Vista itself, as most computer users don't know (or care) where their drivers come from, they simply want their stuff working.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 09:28:42 am »
...Right.  Plus, those same users completely ignore the fact that there are plenty of incompatibilities with Windows.  I mean, who doesn't remember the Vista roll out, where hardly anything, especially printers, had Vista drivers?  That was fun.  Though, in all fairness, I do believe many of them did blame Vista itself, as most computer users don't know (or care) where their drivers come from, they simply want their stuff working.
Vista - Vista was a walk in the park compared to Windows ME.  What an unmitigated piece of garbage that was  >:(!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:10 am »
...Right.  Plus, those same users completely ignore the fact that there are plenty of incompatibilities with Windows.  I mean, who doesn't remember the Vista roll out, where hardly anything, especially printers, had Vista drivers?  That was fun.  Though, in all fairness, I do believe many of them did blame Vista itself, as most computer users don't know (or care) where their drivers come from, they simply want their stuff working.
Vista - Vista was a walk in the park compared to Windows ME.  What an unmitigated piece of garbage that was  >:(!!

Yes, indeed it was.  Windows ME is the worst version of Windows I've ever used.  It was a hot mess that seemed like half 98SE and half XP and the two halves didn't agree with each other.  I hated that piece of garbage with a vengeance.  I bought the "upgrade" after it was released, not knowing anything about it other than it was the new Windows.  After dealing with an endless stream of BSODs, I finally upgraded back to 98SE.  That was when I started being wary of new Windows releases and stopped getting them right after they were out.  Instead, I started waiting for reviews to be up before spending $100 on a potential dud upgrade.

The only reason I even had Vista was because I needed a new computer in 2008 and that was what was available.  I tried to find XP, but to no avail on anything that I actually wanted to buy.  Though, since Vista's compatibility issues pushed me towards Linux, I can't say it was a totally bad thing.  ;)