Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 Accurate Linux Theme Released for Almost All Major Desktops  (Read 6627 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Windows 10 Accurate Linux Theme Released for Almost All Major Desktops
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 03:24:44 am »
Morning update...

No matter how "Cool" it looks if the back end system is not upto scratch then then the "Look n feel" is a mute point.

Not sure how many spotted or even looked at terminal window in the screen shot - the title bar permanently says
"Use update Manager to Update System, Do not use ..."  and then it gives the usual upgrade and dist upgrade commands - this is explained on the website - sort of but is a serious limitation for the system.  Wake up foggy one morning, auto takes over  ctrl+t sudo apt-g...    blah blah blah   oh bugga    one borked system.

So I used the supplied driver manger to install the recommended nvidia drivers... rebooted -   :o FAIL
this mornings Update Manager.... FAIL    due to the above... Took my usual sledgehammer approach - re-install

Left it on graphics drivers it comes with.... Update Manager now working again

Oh wait... now Clementine is not working and not listing all the music I drag into it....   pause....     wait....    :o  :o EPIC FAIL... sorry but I have stated many times before and I will again.  The Basics have to work to get on my "approved list" to recommend to my friends.

Peppermint is still No1   :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 05:42:48 am »
As a relatively new Linux and Peppermint user I like to give my opinion on the subject...

Before I installed any Linux distro on a real machine, I've installed many flavors in VirtualBox (on Windows 7) to test. If it looked like Windows or not was NEVER a requirement! It just has to do the things I wanted and was used to do in Windows.

The only criteria I had where a nice and useful (start)menu, plenty of software with a User Interface and the fact that the whole OS was stable. I find it normal that things are done different but if you have the same (or better) functions at the end, I don't see a problem... It's just a learning curve like you have with ANY OS. You can search the internet for solutions or ask for help on a forum.

Ok, I like a nice desktop but I'm not going to dress my Peppermint as any Windows, not now, not ever!
And you know why? Because it makes me search for my C-drive and I can't find it...  :D

For the same reason I'm not going to dress my Windows 7 (I'm dual booting) as any Linux...
Because at that point I open CMD and type "sudo apt..." fail...  :D

If other people find help in making a system look like another, I'm ok with that.
I don't because it makes it more confusing for me!

Integrating ideas of other OS's is great but just copying the look of them falls too short for me...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:52:48 am by GNULINUX »
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 05:49:12 am »
Maybe these Windows look alike desktops should be labelled: HCDE's  :D!!

Only in Peppermint forum would you ever learn what these DEs are really called!

Good one, AndyInMokum!

:o... 8)... :D
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:37 am »
Oh wait... now Clementine is not working and not listing all the music I drag into it....   pause....     wait....    :o  :o EPIC FAIL... sorry but I have stated many times before and I will again.  The Basics have to work to get on my "approved list" to recommend to my friends.
Disaster - no Clementine, no go!  Clementine is always one of the first packages I install.  In my opinion, it's the best audio player on any platform  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 07:50:34 am »
Maybe these Windows look alike desktops should be labelled: HCDE's  :D !!

Hi AndyInMokum,

I guess I am out of touch with the real world ... I don't have a clue what HCDE means!?!  :-\

I googled HCDE and found two candidates:  1. Human Centered Design & Engineering (the most reasonable, I suppose); or 2. Hamilton County Department of Education (rather unlikely).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 09:31:10 am »
Dressing up your Linux OS to look like Windows is a lot like turkey bacon.  Bacon is yummy, one of the best tasting meats on the planet.  However, bacon is also very bad for you.  It's loaded with fat, bad cholesterol and sodium.  Turkey is also yummy.  It's a hell of a lot better for your health than bacon is.  Now, if you tell a bacon eater that they can't eat bacon anymore because it's bad for their health and that they have to switch to eating turkey instead because it's good for them, they'll whine about it and say it's not as good as bacon, but they'll eventually learn the merits of turkey on their own and be better for it.  However, some companies make what's called turkey bacon.  Turkey bacon is an attempt to make turkey look, smell and taste exactly like bacon.  They use natural and artificial flavors to try and make the turkey as much like bacon as possible.  However, it doesn't taste like bacon.  (I know, I've had it)  It tastes different.  Now, some people will claim it tastes exactly the same as bacon, but those people are full of crap.  It's not bacon and it's never going to be bacon.  So, some people will limp along trying to delude themselves into thinking that the turkey bacon is bacon, whereas others will be miserable and will wind up going back to the real thing.  However, had they just substituted the real bacon for regular turkey in the first place, they may have just stopped eating bacon entirely and gone to turkey instead.

That's what dressing up your OS to look like Windows is.  It's not Windows, it's never going to be Windows.  It may look like Windows, but it won't act and feel like Windows.  However, if you give a Windows user a completely different DE and flat out tell them the OS isn't Windows and will never be Windows, they may try it with Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, or whatever (Peppermint DE is pretty awesome)  and wind up finding they like it just as well as or even better than Windows.

anyone who has tried to give up smoking by gradual reduction will tell you, it just makes it harder

It worked for me.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 03:05:47 pm »
It worked for me.

I wondered who'd be the first to say that  ;D

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 03:26:03 pm »
Maybe these Windows look alike desktops should be labelled: HCDE's  :D !!

Hi AndyInMokum,

I guess I am out of touch with the real world ... I don't have a clue what HCDE means!?!  :-\

I googled HCDE and found two candidates:  1. Human Centered Design & Engineering (the most reasonable, I suppose); or 2. Hamilton County Department of Education (rather unlikely).

Regards,

-- Slim

Let me answer this one, Andy, please --since Slim.Fatz is fortunately busy with his own life in another location on this planet.

Here in the States we're getting hot into a presidential campaign season, and there is one quite famous gal who's been talking up a tough game lately --especially against ISIS.  The HC you see in HCDE is this famous politician's first and last initials -- a woman who you may read about in the news every now and then.

Therefore an HCDE is any DE masquerading as another OS's DE.  It's a pretentious DE --pretending to be like (or trying to create the appearance to be like) something that it is not.

Andy was spot on with this observation.  May his karmic points now grow by leaps and bounds! :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 04:02:36 pm »
Hi perknh,

Ahaaa !! Now it is clear. Thanks for the help! As I recall, back when Bill was in the White House, people said that he was always one jump ahead of many Repoob plans -- simply by adopting them as his own before they had a chance to claim the idea as their own. Whether that is true or not, I really don't know ...  ;D

Regards,

--Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 04:32:48 pm »
It worked for me.

Graeme
'twas cold turkey for me three years ago on 9 Dec 2012.  Never touched one since.  I had a heart attack and the quack told me to quit.  Fear is a marvelous motivator  ;D!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:26:27 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »
Hi perknh,

Ahaaa !! Now it is clear. Thanks for the help! As I recall, back when Bill was in the White House, people said that he was always one jump ahead of many Repoob plans -- simply by adopting them as his own before they had a chance to claim the idea as their own. Whether that is true or not, I really don't know ...  ;D

Regards,

--Slim

Hi Slim.Fatz,

Actually that's true.  Bill did move the Democratic Party further to the right, and HC actually began her political life as a Republican!  So, who knows?

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:38 pm »
He says he made it cos he simply had so many requests.

Not sure I believe that .. AFAIK nobody has ever requested Peppermint have a  Windows theme  :-\

I'm guessing he probably posted a screenshot of one he did for a joke .. THEN people requested it, and he mistook their also wanting it as a joke as "enthusiasm"

Either that or maybe the Makulakululu hippo attracts the wrong kind (age?) of user ;)
(not taking the pi**, just can't remember its proper name)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:40:20 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 01:43:37 am »
Not sure I believe that .. AFAIK nobody has ever requested Peppermint have a  Windows theme  :-\

Let me be the first then  :P  Can we have a Windows theme please so I can tell people not only is Peppermint OS the best out there but if you're feeling lonely or winsome *Cough *Cough you can flick the switch and and spend an hour realising why you made the change to Linux in the first place  :D

Either that or maybe the Makulakululu hippo attracts the wrong kind (age?) of user ;)

Erm...   turned 57 here today... so age has nowt to do with it  :D (altho my wife does say I act like a big kid most days :D :D :D )
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 09:27:19 am »
It worked for me.

Well, it did.  I quit using that method in 2006 and haven't had a cigarette since.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 12:27:11 pm »
Well, it did.  I quit using that method in 2006 and haven't had a cigarette since.

I never said you didn't
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation