Choose style:

Author Topic: Gmail Ending? Google Starts Migrating Users  (Read 2461 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Gmail Ending? Google Starts Migrating Users
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:26:23 am »
Don't know how many of you have been involved in Google Inbox beta testing, but...

Google is evidently starting to migrate regular users to Inbox now, without asking permission.

SOURCE (5-Dec-2015):  http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/05/google-ending-gmail/

Here's how it looks:

If you're migrated to Inbox and you don't like it, I guess Google is giving you the option of opting-out.

My understanding is, the only users that are being migrated, at this point, are ones that have tried Inbox beta at least once.

Anyway, don't be surprised if Google Inbox pops up the next time you use the Gmail web interface.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:16:16 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Gmail Ending? Google Starts Migrating Users
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:48:37 am »
My gmail account just forwards stuff to my regular (Zimbra) email account, so though I have a gmail account I never use its UI

As long as they don't break forwarding I couldn't care less.

What does bother me is the trend to change (usually for the worse) / ditch stuff that isn't broken .. 32bit Chrome / G+ (UI) / Thunderbird / and I guess now this ::)
(maybe I should have added Gnome and KDE to that list ?)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:18:30 am »
How is it different from the standard GMail web interface?  It looks basically the same to me.  (I use Thunderbird or the apps on my phone and tablet to access GMail)

Of course, when they tell you that users can opt out of the new thing, you can.  That is, until they decide to completely replace the old interface with the new.  It happens every time.  I remember when Yahoo did that.  It didn't agree with the older computer I was using at the time, so I switched to GMail.  Also, I remember when GMail changed their contacts and composition things.  You could use the old one until they decided to end the beta cycle on the new one, then you no longer had a choice.  The same with WordPress and its composition thing.  (I hate the newer one)  So, people who use GMail's web interface may as well start getting used to it as, eventually, you'll no longer have a choice.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:21:54 am »
They're doing that with the new G+ UI .. you can opt out (for now), but it then throws a popup offering the new UI every time you use G+, and there's no way to disable the popup >:(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:26 am »
My gmail account just forwards stuff to my regular (Zimbra) email account [...]

Only time(s) I use the web interface is when I'm sitting at a public kiosk, my workstation, a friend's machine, et cetera.

Also, I never use POP3.  I'm an IMAP fanboi.  I don't save mail locally.  I store all my mail on 'the cloud', so called.

That said, the Gmail ui has saved my bacon many times.  Still, it's good to have, in a pinch !

What does bother me is the trend to change (usually for the worse) / ditch stuff that isn't broken [...]

Yes, it's a balancing trick, like all things computer.  Same applies to Peppermint Linux OS, my Conky script, and so forth. 

Add to that the fact that people generally don't like change.  Some things are just better left alone, that's for sure.

The Google devs are well aware of this, so they're treading lightly on this one.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »
How is it different from the standard GMail web interface?[ ...]

Inbox was a little spartan at first, but it looks more conventional and modern now.

I DO like the new look n' feel better than the old ui.   ;)

I was invited to test Gmail way_back_when.  Remember those days ?  Only reason I tested it was because it became a status symbol.  People were actually selling Gmail invitations on Fleabay, and devs were desperate enough to pay for one.  LoL   :D

Anyway, Google kept adding features and menus, and more features and more menus, until it became a bloated nightmare.

IMO, Google Inbox is a much cleaner and more intuitive ui.  We'll see how long it takes them to mess it up, too.

Of course, when they tell you that users can opt out of the new thing, you can.  That is, until they decide to completely replace the old interface with the new.  It happens every time.  I remember when Yahoo did that.

I don't know how you feel about the current Yahoo! mail interface, but I H-A-T-E it.  Only reason I keep it active is because I have mail stored there, going back to the last century.  Yahoo! also bought Rocketmail, some years back, and I own the much ballyhooed 'computing@' username, soooo...

Yahoo! is strongly considering selling its core products, including the mail service, so hopefully the new owners will cleanup the mess that Yahoo! has made of it.  We'll see...

EXTRA CREDIT READING:  http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/business/international-business/361125/yahoo-board-in-final-talks-on-future-of-company
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:19:21 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Update »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 01:20:36 pm »
It looks basically the same to me [...]

Doh !  Fixed...   8)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 04:03:19 pm »
I have a Gmail account but recent revelations regarding privacy has made me look elsewhere and I've been trying out Zoho it has a clean easy to understand UI and it seems to do everything I want from email without the privacy concerns, and as it now looks like Mozilla is gonna ditch Thunderbird it could be Zoho webmail for me in the near future

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:23:07 pm »
Yandex is the closest email service I've found to Gmail.  I do have a Yandex account, but I can't tell you how good it is for privacy.  I still use Gmail as my primary email service, and Yandex as my secondary.  To me, Yahoo mail, Yahoo news, or Yahoo anything isn't very good any longer.  Strangely enough, old-fashioned AOL email remains basic but good.

Thank you for posting this VinDSL.  I hope Google doesn't destroy Gmail now.  I've come to depend upon it a great deal over the last several years.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 11:12:52 pm »
It looks basically the same to me [...]

Doh !  Fixed...   8)

OK, that new thing looks freaking stupid.  It looks like a mobile app, which I hate seeing on a desktop or laptop computer.  I'll switch e-mail providers before using that.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:29 am »
More of this damn stupid "convergence" cr*p I guess  ::)
(how long till it sinks in .. people don't want convergence)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:58 am »
(how long till it sinks in .. people don't want convergence)

I know, right?  Get it through your thick skulls!

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 12:05:09 pm »
Change is not always a good thing.

I don't want my emails to sort themselves. I have used Gmail filters a lot in the past.

I might test inbox, but am not currently looking to change the way I handle email.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 12:39:52 pm »
Change is not always a good thing...
I might test inbox, but am not currently looking to change the way I handle email.

I hear you 10i:  I have no interest in starting all over again with another email provider either.  I've got about 2,000 emails saved --a lot of which are family photos.  To move and sort through all that stuff is a royal pain in the tuchis.

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum