Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 Accurate Linux Theme Released for Almost All Major Desktops  (Read 7425 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Windows 10 Accurate Linux Theme Released for Almost All Major Desktops
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 06:13:25 am »
::) .. Why do people do this .. ::)

I'll now sit back and wait for the inevitable distro claiming it somehow makes life easier for Windows 10 converts .. will it be Zorin or will someone else beat them to it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:27:09 am »

I was thinking the same thing.  If you want your OS to look like Windows 10, just run Windows 10!  Then it will look like Windows 10.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:42:33 am »

I'll now sit back and wait for the inevitable distro claiming it somehow makes life easier for Windows 10 converts .. will it be Zorin or will someone else beat them to it.
They don't learn that it makes no significant difference.  In fact I think it turns more people away from Linux because many people perceive it as a cheap knock off  Windows wannabe OS.  When I moved to Mac, (yes I used to use a G4 PowerBook) I didn't want it looking like Windows XP.  It's the same for Mac users moving to Windows.  They want a Windows machine not a Mac look alike.  If you move to Linux, get stuck in and use it as a Linux machine.  If you're unable to do that, then Linux is the wrong platform for you.  These Windows shells are not even very clever because the similarities are so superficial.  I think if as much effort was put into promoting the Linux desktop for what it is, as is being put into tricking new users.  We'd have a lot larger share.  Not that I particularly care how many users there are.  I just don't like attracting potential new users by dangling false hopes in front of their eyes ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:49:38 am »
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, Andy.  It does make Linux seem like a cheap knockoff.  The Linux desktops are strong enough to stand on their own, they don't need to try and emulate Windows, or Mac OS, or anything else.  When I first started making my move to Linux in 2009, I loved the fact that Ubuntu's Gnome 2 interface was so radically different from Windows Vista.  It was all fresh and exciting to me.  Then I tried some of the other desktops and liked how different they were too.  I personally never needed it to look like Windows, because I knew I was trying something way different from Windows.  If new users don't feel that way, they're definitely in the wrong place.

When I moved to Mac, (yes I used to use a G4 PowerBook)

Don't worry, we forgive you.  :))

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 10:04:13 am »
When I moved to Mac, (yes I used to use a G4 PowerBook)
In my defense, it was a nice machine, built like a tank   :o.  The 80GB HDD finally died a couple of years ago with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS PPC installed ;).

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:07:08 am »
Yeah, I've heard some of the older Apple stuff is really well built.  I don't know about the newer stuff, I don't know if their quality is where it once was.  (I've read some bad stories)  I know their prices are.  ::)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 02:28:18 pm »
Yeah I don't see any point in windows clone/lookalike themes and I don't think it makes the transition from Windows to Linux any easier in fact I would argue it makes it more difficult in a paradoxical sort of way.

I've moved a few friends a family members over to Linux and I've I've always tried to make sure it doesn't look  or feel like Windows because I think it's important they know they're using a different operating system

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 03:02:01 pm »
Basically why ? .. if they can't figure out it's point and click like Windows and that the menu is on the panel/taksbar .. they shouldn't be allowed ANY PC/OS

I mean is it really that different to "use" :-\ .. it has clickable icons, it has a cursor, it has a panel/taskbar, it has a start/menu, it has right-click context menus .. where's the difference that a skin is going to help with ?

Sure, digging around Linux internals reveals major differences, but if you're going digging would you want to be confused by it looking like Windows ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:04:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 03:47:35 pm »
Ask and you shall receive PCNetSpec

- http://makululinux.com/aero/

Looks like the first one has arrived, although in fairness to Makulu it has been in development for several months...

Why do they do it  - cos they can

Does it hurt that they try - No.      Now I know most of you here are dead against it... but there are people out there who want it.   They are not Die Hard Linux fans, they just want something other than windows but yet they want to feel "at home"

Does it look good...   Dunno only just installed it...    Is it fast... it seems to be...

Now... Can anyone spot the really weird thing about this distro ?

and it listed my HDD in a way completely different to every single distro I have ever hopped.  It shows my 1st HDD as /dev/sdc and my SSD as /dev/sdd       they are usually a and b.   It picked up two USB ext Seagate Backup drives and they are sda and sdb respectively.  So I wonder how they scan for HDD differently than everyone else.

Lets use this for a day or two and see what other oddities it throws up.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:19:38 pm »
That looks more like Vista/Win7 than Win10

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I'd not be presumptuous enough to tell people what they should or shouldn't do .. doesn't mean I have to agree it's useful in ANY way though.

but there are people out there who want it.   They are not Die Hard Linux fans, they just want something other than windows but yet they want to feel "at home"

There's not even anecdotal evidence there .. and assuming people want it to look like Windows just because people download it would be a circular argument where you're drawing a conclusions from the premise itself.

and "because they can" was never really a strong or reasoned argument now was it ;)

Simply show me HOW it helps people ? .. and I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:41:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »
That looks more like Vista/Win7 than Win10
If you watch his "Aero taster" video he shows the themes and how you can select all  XP  or Vista or Win 7 or Win10  items to give you your prefered view of things.

There's not even anecdotal evidence there .. and assuming people want it to look like Windows just because people download it would be a circular argument where you're drawing a conclusions from the premise itself.
again read his website. He says he made it cos he simply had so many requests.

and "because they can" was never really a strong or reasoned argument now was it ;)

It doesn't have to be a strong and reasoned argument, when it's your passion.  Where would we be if someone back in the day didn't put a sidewinder exhaust on a truck or a subwoofer and other sundry "ICE" costing 000's of pounds in the boot.  Doesn't need to have any reason other than "I enjoyed doing it"

Simply show me HOW it helps them ?

Different strokes for different folks - all our brains read things and learn things differently. Show somebody Linux but make it "look" familiar and they soon forget its not Windows cos they get "used" to it.  Then show them how they can change things to suit themselves even more and before they know it, they are simply USING Linux and how it looks or how its styled is neither here nor there.  I have been teaching, or trying to teach, Joe Bloggs to get the most out of their PC at work (and with friends) for nigh on 25 yrs and I will take any tool at my disposal to help in that goal so that eventually they don't need me any more cos they have found their own way. Now if one of those tools is "PsychobabbleBSLooknFeel" then give me a few bucket loads please  ;D

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 05:15:07 pm »
I don't think there is one practical reason why a Windows lookalike theme makes moving to Linux any easier although there may be psychological reasons but that's where I would argue it actually makes it more difficult as anyone who has tried to give up smoking by gradual reduction will tell you, it just makes it harder, it's  really easier to stop completely,

in my view the easiest way to transition from Windows is to use a distro that looks as different from Windows as possible because no Windows clone no matter how well done can ever be as good at being Windows as Windows, and if they can't learn how to use any modern mainstream Linux distro they should have never tried transitioning in the first place and just go back to using Windows because they were obviously never serious about transitioning in the first place or were talked into it against their will

imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery, do microsoft really deserve that

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 05:40:13 pm »

I don't know.  I have a very smart friend who always sees this principle at work in American politics.  There will always be some Democrat running for office who will try to talk more like a Republican, and act more like a Republican, than a real Republican --and it never works.  A Democrat just can't out-Republican a Republican --nor should she or he try.

And this same principle applies to Linux:  Linux just can't out-Windows Windows  --but why would we want to?  MInt's Cinnamon edition is as close to a Windows look in Linux as we need to go.

Now swiping a few of  Windows wallpapers, in the name of good sportsmanship (which helps educate our Windows friends about open source principles) --now that's an entirely different story! ;D
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »
I don't know.  I have a very smart friend who always sees this principle at work in American politics.  There will always be some Democrat running for office who will try to talk more like a Republican, and act more like a Republican, than a real Republican --and it never works.  A Democrat just can't out-Republican a Republican --nor should she or he try. :- perknh
Maybe these Windows look alike desktops should be labelled: HCDE's  :D!!