Choose style:

Author Topic: Logitech USB Headsets A-00044 Causing Problems [Solved]  (Read 3082 times)

Offline benfnov

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): six
Logitech USB Headsets A-00044 Causing Problems [Solved]
« on: November 26, 2015, 12:38:42 pm »
Instead of Thanksgiving Football I have installed 64 bit P6 in a dual-boot configuration on my HP 450 G1 "ProBook."   All went very well until I plugged-in my Logitech USB headset (Model A-00044)   The moment I plug this headset in, bad things happen.  The pointer icon changes, things freeze, menus won't come up, and application windows will become transparent.   The behavior isn't consistent, but is bad.  And the second I unplug the headset, everything goes back to normal.   I have checked, and the headset works fine with Windows 10.   Interestingly, if I start Pandora before I plug the headset in, they work beautifully, but I can do nothing else until I unplug them.

I have learned from other People On the Internet, that USB headsets sometimes do not play well  with LINUX.  But since using them is a key function of my computer, I am hopeful there is a solution out there.   I am not a noobie with computers, but I am with LINUX, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:06:55 pm by benfnov »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Logitech USB Headsets A-00044 Causing Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 01:11:24 pm »
So it's as though you're getting a constant mouse click, or looking mouse clicking altogether ?

Does the keyboard still work ? .. eg. does hitting Ctrl+Alt+T still open a terminal ? .. and if so, what's the output from:
Code: [Select]
lsusb
and does:
sudo modprobe -r usbhid; modprobe usbhid
make any difference.

Looking around the web there seem to be a LOT of problems where Logitech (and other HID) headsets are causing the mouse clicks to stop working, such as:
https://lists.launchpad.net/aims/msg01404.html
and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/993655
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline benfnov

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »
Yes, I was able to open the terminal and lsusb yielded this:

benfnov@benfnov-HP-ProBook-450-G1 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 05c8:0359 Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink)
Bus 003 Device 011: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc. M-BT96a Pilot Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 010: ID 046d:0a38 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

(I should note I am also using a logitech mouse. When I use lsusb without the mouse all is the same except "Pilot mouse"  line is missing.)

When I typed in the command you suggested I got an error " Could not insert "usbhid"; operation not permitted.  "

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:15:00 pm by benfnov »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »
did the weirdness stop when you ran that last command ?

how about when you run this:
sudo modprobe -r usbhid; sudo modprobe usbhid
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline benfnov

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Logitech USB Headsets A-00044 Causing Problems [Solved]
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:09:12 pm »
Yes!  When I pull up the terminal and enter that command with the second sudo (plus password of course) it all works great!   Until, of course, I unplug the headphones.   Thank you very much!  Looking around the internet I do see several complaints about the 340 (which is, evidently what I have.)  I guess I will mark this solved although if there is any more robust solution than using this command each time I would appreciate it .  (Or, I could just get a new headset.)   In any case THANK YOU so much. 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Logitech USB Headsets A-00044 Causing Problems [Solved via workaround]
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 04:35:38 pm »
If we knew they worked in 15.10 we could try upgrading the kernel .. but not a lot of point if they're still broken in 15.10

Any chance you could try them in a 15.10 live session ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline benfnov

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 05:57:08 pm »
I am nut sure what is meant by 15.10.  (Is this a new release?)  What I did do just now is try using the headset with the live session of the latest 64bit Respin version.  (15.09??)  When I plugged in the headset nothing happened - at all.  There was no weird phantom mouse clicks, but the system did not immediately switch from  the speakers to the headphones as normally happens.   But the system did recognize the speakers because I could switch output to the headset via the pulse audio application.  This worked fine - although volume control was through pulse audio.  I have no idea if this is the expected behavior.    I entered the double-sudo  modprobe command that worked with the installed version, but it had no apparent effect.

Okay, now, where things seem  quite odd is that when I rebooted the system just bow and when through Grub to P6, I was amazed to see that the headset now works fine. I had sound from the speakers until the headset was plugged into the USB, at which point the music went to the headphones (which is the expected behavior.)   I did this several times with no problem.  I have no idea why this problem seems fixed for good.  And not sure how, exactly it happened.   But if I can be of an assistance at all, please let me know. 

Cheers

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 06:05:51 pm »
Maybe your system got some updates, and just needed rebooting to load the new kernel ?

Because other than the UEFI stuff there's no difference between the original spin and the respin other than the respin already contains the updates .. so a fully updated original spin is the same as the respin.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:09:33 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline benfnov

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 08:08:20 pm »
That makes sense.  Something certainly changed.  Thanks again for all the great help.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:25:48 am »
No problem .. happy it's now working whatever the cause :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec