Author Topic: Screen Tearing w/Nvidia Geforce 7000 series (SOLVED)  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Curly-Bacon

• Newly Subscribed
  • I'm Getting Good at This Peppermint Stuff :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Screen Tearing w/Nvidia Geforce 7000 series
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
Sorry again for the delay.  :-[  I had some hardware failure issues on my side.  I found out shortly after my last forum post that my hard drive failed on me and I couldn't log into Peppermint anymore. This is not surprising since the hard drive has been through a lot (install, reinstall linux distros, etc.) and not to mention it was 8-9 years old.  I expected it to fail sooner so was quite surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Anyway, I found a good deal on eBay for a smaller capacity SSD for $US20. I ordered it and it took a little while to get here but have it now and reinstalled Peppermint 6 on my new SSD. 

After reinstalling Peppermint 6 on the new SSD I was experiencing the same screen tearing as previously which was expected.  I proceeded to install compton as per your instructions from previous post.  There was no noticeable change in screen tearing. 

For comparison purposes to rule-out Peppermint-specific issues, I created a separate partition (and kept Peppermint) and installed Linux Lite, a comparable linux distribution IMO.  I encountered the same screen tearing dilemma.  The screen tearing was not worse or better, but same on LL.

This integrated nvidia chipset on my laptop is driving me crazy.  >:(  It's old and nvidia doesn't support it anymore. It's not even classified as legacy  :'(

Windows 7 runs fine on the machine from a previous load.  There was absolutely no ST'ing on that.  Once again, it's a situation where nvidia makes the drivers more compatible with windows than it does linux.  Not a suprise since the machine was made for windows....XP.

So there.  That's where I'm at now.  I'm not sure if it makes sense to put anymore effort into this.  Peppermint is all fine except the ST'ing. So I can still use it.  I'm thinking of giving it to my Mum for basic internet, email, and grandchildren picture viewing.....and calling it a day.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
- Mark

Offline Curly-Bacon

• Newly Subscribed
  • I'm Getting Good at This Peppermint Stuff :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Screen Tearing w/Nvidia Geforce 7000 series
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 12:08:00 am »
UPDATE 12/22/2015:  Got it to work.  It's not the best and there's just a tad screen tearing in highly intensive graphic videos (i.e. action scenes in movies with explosions) on YouTube and playing movies from DVD using VLC, but for the most part compton has significantly improved my situation. 

Okay, here's what I did.  I uninstalled Compton and reinstalled using the command line. Previously, I used synaptic package manager to install compton.......maybe it missed some dependencies on the synaptic install, I'm not sure what the deal was.  Regardless, having used the command line to install this time it did wonders for the screen tearing.  Must have installed properly this time.

I'm going to consider this issue closed (SUCCESS!) and close out the ticket on this one.

BTW - My new SSD is fantastic!!  I had absolutely no idea this old rig (8-9 yrs. old) could move so quick. The difference is night and day.  I'm now going to add some maintenance steps to my workflow (i.e. trim, etc.) so that the speed can continue into the unforceeable future.

THANK YOU!!!!

Regards from the States -

Mark 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Screen Tearing w/Nvidia Geforce 7000 series (SOLVED)
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 08:04:27 am »
Yeah, I'll never go back to a hard drive for the OS and Applications .. The only HDD's I now use are in a NAS :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Screen Tearing w/Nvidia Geforce 7000 series (SOLVED)
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 10:03:23 am »
Yeah, I'll never go back to a hard drive [...]

Dittos ...   8)