Author Topic: archiving photographs and exif data [SOLVED]  (Read 3437 times)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
archiving photographs and exif data [SOLVED]
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:12:44 pm »
Hey guys... don't really see any posts relating to my query so am starting a new thread. The ONE windows program I miss tremendously and haven't found a suitable linux replacement is IrfanView. I keep a 2003 Compaq laptop running just so I can use its functionality on occasion. http://www.irfanview.com/

Whenever I transfer folders full of photos from the windows machine to a linux machine, I find the exif data gets lost and I lose the ability to sort photos in the order they were TAKEN, that being overwritten by the last date of modification which becomes the day they were moved for all photos in the transferred folder.

I also become frustrated when moving photos to my cell phone which seems not to read exif data at all, and decides all photos transferred were taken on that day...

Any photo archivists/buffs/professionals care to enlighten me on:

a) their preferred software or:
b) what I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:48:00 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: archiving photographs and exif data
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:40:03 am »
Have you tried Shotwell yet?
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell

It's similar in appearance to iPhoto but I expect it will have the features you need.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:49:20 am »
Maybe take a look at XnViewMP
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

It's cross platform, so I'd expect it to be able to keep exif data across those platforms .. particularly if you use it in Windows (and/or OS X) and Linux.
(I underlined "expect" because I can't say for sure)

[EDIT]

XnViewMP is also freeware:
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/#downloads
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:54:34 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline peejaypep

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 64bit 6
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 08:30:53 am »
Hi Spence, you are perhaps happy to have followed the advice above, but just in case some more info would be of help, here's my experience.

Like you I was a keen Irfanview user and found it invaluable, but unlike you I've never had any problems importing photos from Windows folders. I think the trick is to use another photo manager rather than rely on a File Manager - they reveal exif data for each photo under Properties but I've never yet used them for e.g. sorting photo files by exif data.

Shotwell is quite OK as a program and a bit like Irfanview, but likes to create albums similar to Windows 7 libraries, and these always confuse me totally as to where my photo actually is, so I can't say I find it congenial.

Another lightweight alternative is gThumb, and I'd say its photo management facilities are a bit stronger and a bit easier to use than Shotwell. Sometimes I found its menus a bit baffling but I generally got there OK and always knew where my photo was!

The best photo-manager for me is undoubtedly digikam - comprehensive stuff, well executed.  It managed a 10 year photo archive for a Rotary club of over 1000 and more photos with no trouble at all.  BUT it doesn't sit too well with Peppermint because it relies on the KDE desktop, so to use it you have to include a ton of KDE libraries too, with disk and memory space consequences - but the actual installation is normally just as easy because the package manager takes care of all that.

I'm currently trying Fotoxx, which manages photos in a similar way to digikam - i.e. based completely on your directory structure - and able to use tags and standard exif data. It seems lighter weight than digikam but still semi-pro in approach. Its editor is probably the strongest of the 4 programs I've tried. Still too early for me to give a clear recommendation but very promising.

All four programs are in the Ubuntu repositories, though the Fotoxx one is old and the newer one from the developer's site is worth getting. Its developer is also very approachable and will help sort out any problems (did for me, anyway).

I'm a bit surprised about your experience with mobile phone photos. I've certainly not had that trouble with the ones I've taken on the phone and I would think a photo manager would handle it OK, unless as you say the phone is stripping the data out?

I hope this quick run through is of some help. Or are you perhaps now already happy with XnViewMP? ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:08:10 pm »
or maybe geeqie, which is in the repos

or see the links here:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12660.msg103672#msg103672
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 11:17:03 am »
thanks for all the suggestions folks... haven't had a chance to play with any of these yet... lots of distractions here at home have my mind anchored elsewhere... hope to play with them soon...

@peejaypep before i traded in my windowsphone, i plugged it directly to the peppermint laptop and transferred all the photos... every single photo was renamed 1000 to 4000 instead of taking the name which included a date and gave me a frame of reference (wp_20140809003.jpg... but at least it was a name with a linear progression... while the new samsung android phone names photos randomly and the native peppermint file manager can't seem to give me a sort by name or date that makes any sense... especially in icon view mode, there's no additional sort method applicable which allows me to see the photos i just imported... nor can i easily re-orient photos from vertical to horizontal and back? #wtfiuwt?

increasingly, i'm encountering the inability to even preview the photo... just being shown a generic green icon with JPEG written on it, especially when attempting to insert a photo into a comment or an e'mail... forcing me to open file manager in a separate window in order to find the particular photo i'm trying to access...

in the end i give up and go get more coffee...

so some day when i don't wake up feeling exhausted I'll start playing with the programs suggested...

thanks one and all, hope y'all have a very Merry Christmas...

#whathappenedtotheabilitytochangecolorsoffonts?
#whycan'tisleep?

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 11:31:25 am »
Have you enabled USB debugging in Android .. it *should* allow the phone's storage to be seen as a USB mass storage device rather that an MTP device .. so as far as a computer is concerned it *should* just be seen and behave as a USB stick

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 01:05:22 pm »
Have you enabled USB debugging in Android .. it *should* allow the phone's storage to be seen as a USB mass storage device rather that an MTP device .. so as far as a computer is concerned it *should* just be seen and behave as a USB stick

no... hadn't known i was able to do that... i'll have a look see...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 01:14:30 pm »

It's cross platform, so I'd expect it to be able to keep exif data across those platforms .. particularly if you use it in Windows (and/or OS X) and Linux.

I have been messing around with this one quite a bit, overwhelms me a tad, but I'm more able to find what I need. I'm now understanding that my frustration isn't just springing from which platform stores exif data... I've only just realized that the peppermintOS native file manager has a size limit on what can be displayed as a preview/thumbnail... which then requires me to open xnviewmp to search for the photo I'm attempting to embed in whatever e'mail I'm working on at the moment...

See even my simple carb overloaded old brain can still decipher, albeit much more slowly...

even as I'm reeling from the announcement that one of my buddies is retiring.... after 41 years at the same job..... 
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: archiving photographs and exif data [re-SOLVING]
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 01:24:31 pm »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
Hi Spence, you are perhaps happy to have followed the advice above, but just in case some more info would be of help, here's my experience.

snipped

I hope this quick run through is of some help. Or are you perhaps now already happy with XnViewMP? ;)

I really haven't had a lot of free time to play with all of these... but am intending to as time allows... I appreciate your time in detailing them all to me....

I was really dismayed by the stripping out of exif data and the renaming... especially as I was referring to a windowsphone and a windows laptop doing the dirty deed, you'd think MS would make sure their devices played well with one another, but noooooooo......

Ironically, when doing the same thing with my prior palm device, all filenames remained sorted as I expected... but don't get me started on this damn samsung... might be time to root it... but that's an order of magnitude move beyond which I don't have the level of comfort I usually require ;~)

12/30 edit... XnViewMP doesn't really give me anything i'm looking for... no ability to force the program to sort the photos other than randomly while viewing inside each folder... as in i'd like to not jump between photos taken in Dec June and February, but progress chronologically thru the year...  ugh...   

i did find in the settings a place for checking to ensure the program uses exif data for orientation, but apparently m phone doesn't give proper orientation data?

When moving on to try out other programs, I'd really rather not slow down this low powered machine any further by introducing GTK, qT & gnome dependencies... but perhaps that really won't make a difference?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:03:54 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 05:15:25 pm »
I distracting myself by sorting the millions of photos stored in my archives... all is well until i hit the year where the smart phones start taking multi megabyte photos. is there a way to get Nemo to preview photos larger than 1 MB? Or do I need a different file manager to view them all at once? I hate sorting one by one.... 
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:32:32 pm »

I have been messing around with this one quite a bit, overwhelms me a tad, but I'm more able to find what I need. I'm now understanding that my frustration isn't just springing from which platform stores exif data... I've only just realized that the peppermintOS native file manager has a size limit on what can be displayed as a preview/thumbnail... which then requires me to open xnviewmp to search for the photo I'm attempting to embed in whatever e'mail I'm working on at the moment...

See even my simple carb overloaded old brain can still decipher, albeit much more slowly...

even as I'm reeling from the announcement that one of my buddies is retiring.... after 41 years at the same job..... 

Thumbnails are not an issue in Nemo.  Go to Edit>Preferences>Preview>Previewable Files>Only for Files smaller than: and change the size and you'll see many more thumbnails.  Now one of the Peppermint Gurus may need to answer how much more memory does this process use?

p.s. I'm 37 years with the same company hoping to retire at my 42nd year.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: archiving photographs and exif data (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:22:11 am »
Many Many Thanks @stevesveryown For some reason, I had never seen, nor stumbled upon edit/preferences in Nemo... I guess there's truth to the idea: if you are looking for something, you'll never find it, but it will appear when you remove your attention from it.

Not sure where the retirement comment springs from but, I became a house husband when my last job ended in '02. While my other half retired after 24 years at VOA, two days before he turned 50. Only only need serve 20 years when working for US #BigFedGov. Two months later we skedaddled for Tucson. where he recently turned 60...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
Now one of the Peppermint Gurus may need to answer how much more memory does this process use?

I'm not sure it uses significantly more memory to display them (though it will a small amount), but obviously it'll:-

a) Use some RAM whilst they're being generated for the first time

b) Use a little disk space where they're cached

c) Significantly slow the displaying of the contents of remote network shares, particularly whilst the thumbnails are being generated for the first time .. because there will be a lot more network traffic whilst they're generated. (particularly from say a shared folder on a NAS or another PC that has hundreds of photos/videos)
(hence why Nemo has the option to only generate local thumbnails)

The question isn't so much one of RAM usage as much as the speed of loading/displaying a directory with loads of images/videos .. specially on a network share.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:21:50 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec