Choose style:

Author Topic: Apple IPad solved  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Sportvägen

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Apple IPad solved
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:07 pm »
Hej helt ny sedan idag, hur kan man synca IPad och IPhone på min dator via peppermint, finns det typ en Peppermint ITunes, tacksam för hjälp
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:49:03 pm by Sportvägen »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Apple IPad
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:38 pm »
HI Sportvägen, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  I'm sorry I don't speak Swedish and this is an English only forum.  I hope you can understand me  :)

Mac software is proprietary and very locked down.  It does not work well with other systems.  Apple only want their products to run on their devices, the exception is iTunes on Windows.  You will not be able to use iTunes with any Linux distro.  I haven't heard of anyone successfully syncing an iPad or iPhone with Linux.  There's software that's designed to work but Apple continuously change things with their updates.  This makes it useless.  You should be able to read files and manually transfer them on your devices but syncing them is next to impossible.  Someone may know something different and be able to advise you better.  As far as I know, using Apple with Linux is like trying to mix oil and water - good luck  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:23:04 pm »
Not to mention it'll likely corrupt your iPhad (or would iPane be a more apt portmanteau of iPad/iPhone).. trying to sync my sons iPod in Linux corrupted it to the extent it needed  wiping back to default.

My advice would be to not even try .. libimobiledevices4 may work for a while (if it's caught up with the latest Apple database format), but when Apple next change the database format it'll  corrupt the iDevice.
(not a Linux issue .. more an unnecessarily created one from Apple)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:29:37 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sportvägen

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:20:07 am »
Ok, thanks for your advice, and there is now way of like having a windows slave program to run the update!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:34:53 am »
Yeah sure, you could run iTunes in Windows (or OS X for that matter) in a Virtualbox VM 'inside' Peppermint .. or simply dual boot.

If using Virtualbox just be sure to add yourself to the vboxusers group, so "USB passthrough" passes the USB ports to the virtual machine.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:38:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sportvägen

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Apple IPad solved
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 12:48:13 pm »
solved