Choose style:

Author Topic: Irksome Sites And Outdated Technologies  (Read 3342 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Irksome Sites And Outdated Technologies
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:57:56 am »
CBS is on a list of irksome sites that need to join the rest of us in the year 2015 and offer HTML5 videos.  Hulu is another one that, last time I checked, doesn't have HTML5 either.

A pet peeve of mine, that seems to be getting worse instead of better, is the lack of proper encryption to protect customers while participating in online shopping.

I ordered four 2016 calendars from two sites last Saturday.  One site had https --which is a clear warning do not enter one's credit card number on that site.  And on the other site, I was warned by the color yellow that the encryption method of that online shopping site is out-of-date also --although not nearly as bad as the pervious site was.

I ended up writing and checks, using snail mail to make my orders.  I did insert a note to both retailers saying that their online security needed to be updated.

I have the same issue too with my online account for my mobile phone --out-of-date encryption.  I've spoken to the company twice about this matter too, but I appear to have wasted my breath.  My mobile phone company's online encryption methods remain out-of-date.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:03:11 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: Irksome Sites
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:51:54 pm »
Security is not important to everyone. Sadly they risk their users security and finances, not their own.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:43:15 pm »
Security is not important to everyone. Sadly they risk their users security and finances, not their own.

Hi 10i,

I pretty much agree with you, except for the part about risking their own finances. As soon as a significant number of users becomes more aware and STOPS using the services of these stupid companies, then these companies will experience financial consequences too!

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:44:58 pm by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Irksome Sites and Outdated Technologies
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:01:02 pm »
HI 10i and Slim.Fatz,

I think you're both right.  I would think that not caring about a customer's security would eventually hurt a company's bottom line --especially if the customer sees, time and time again, Chrome's, or Chromium's, warnings about the retailer's site. 

After a while a long-time customer will begin to find other places to shop.

perknh
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:03:48 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:23:19 pm »
Well you'd *think* so wouldn't you .. but obviously most people don't think like we do  ???
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
Well you'd *think* so wouldn't you .. but obviously most people don't think like we do  ???
Sad but true  :(.  The number of people still using Windows XP is testament to that.  I had an argument with an XP users the other day.  He wouldn't, or more to the point, didn't want to accept that he was not only putting himself at serious risk but others too.  His reasoning was, if the US Army and Navy are still using it, he's in good company.  At that point I didn't even bother to ask how he's getting access to the multi million dollar extended security updates and fixes the US Government is paying for.  Some people are just plain stupid  :-X.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Irksome Sites and Outdated Technologies
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
Sad but true  :(

The number of people still using Windows XP is testament to that.  I had an argument with an XP users the other day.  He wouldn't, or more to the point, didn't want to accept that he was not only putting himself at serious risk but others too.  His reasoning was, if the US Army and Navy are still using it, he's in good company.  At that point I didn't even bother to ask how he's getting access to the multi million dollar extended security updates and fixes the US Government is paying for.  Some people are just plain stupid  :-X.

The poor bugger doesn't have a clue, and that's probably a large part of the reason why these sites don't take security more seriously.  It really does look as if these companies don't know what they're doing. :(

I wonder what I will see first --the Invisible Pink Unicorn, or commercial web sites smartening up when it comes to practical online security? :-\

Peppermint forum should be required reading for anyone who operates a web site. 

There!  Problem solved!! ;)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:04:19 pm by perknh »

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:15:04 pm »
[...] His reasoning was, if the US Army and Navy are still using it, he's in good company.  Some people are just plain stupid  :-X.

Maybe he should downgrade to Win 3.1   ;D

Nobody will believe this, so I'll just post a link (ZDnet, November 16, 2015)...

A 23-year-old Windows 3.1 system failure crashed Paris airport   :o

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:41:02 am »
[...] His reasoning was, if the US Army and Navy are still using it, he's in good company.  Some people are just plain stupid  :-X.

Maybe he should downgrade to Win 3.1   ;D

Nobody will believe this, so I'll just post a link (ZDnet, November 16, 2015)...

A 23-year-old Windows 3.1 system failure crashed Paris airport   :o
That's incredible.  It doesn't inspire confidence in Government ministers and their holier-than-thou attitude towards anything pertaining to IT.  After all their pontificating, it's as always, the bean counters that win the day  :(.

Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:18:44 pm »
I read an article somewhere about a computer that still runs on punch cards. Some people still use DOS, and are determined not to upgrade.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Irksome Sites And Outdated Technologies
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 03:10:22 pm »
I guess some people believe the oldies are still the best!  What do you bet a lot of these folks clinging on to old computers and outdated operating systems are the same folks who are still using rotary telephones and driving vintage cars. 8)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:28:09 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »
In my humble opinion, the only reason to even hang onto something that old is if you're a home user and you have some piece of software that you think you need to run (specifically: games) and you use that computer for that and only that.  Companies and especially government agencies should always use newer and more secure stuff as they're not only protecting themselves, but their customers as well.

Websites that refuse to upgrade their security should be boycotted until they do.  But, alas, that won't happen as most people don't give a turkey's butt about security, as long as they can access whatever service(s) offered by such sites.  ::)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 04:03:29 pm »
Websites that refuse to upgrade their security should be boycotted until they do.  But, alas, that won't happen as most people don't give a turkey's butt about security, as long as they can access whatever service(s) offered by such sites.  ::)

Yes, I'm actually trying to do exactly that whenever I can  --boycott los bastados!  But, I really needed to watch a political debate on CBS the other night.  I knew I would need to discuss it with a member of my family shortly thereafter.   Therefore, whether I liked it or not, using Flash suddenly became a must for me,

scifidude79, we both know that fighting CBS is an uphill battle.   Thankfully our Adobe Flash is up the job, but I know we'd both wish we could get rid of it once and for all.  ;)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 11:38:06 pm »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/249951/if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it_ancient_computers_in_use_today.html

how is this for living in the past?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:35 am »
Interesting article, 10i.  Good one! ;)