Choose style:

Author Topic: P6 as dual purpose server  (Read 1476 times)

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
P6 as dual purpose server
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:15:30 pm »
Hello all,

I am about to upgrade my gaming rig and was going to use the old parts for a server build. I want the server to have two purposes. I want it to be a file server and also a media server. As for the media server goes, I am going to use UMS, or Universal Media Server. It runs on Windows, OS X, and Linux.  I also need the server to be a file server. I checked out FreeNAS, but installing programs in there seems to be a pain, plus I already have experience with Peppermint.

I am going to rip all of my DVDs and do away with them. So I have a DVD ripping program. Then use UMS for the disc images to the client devices. I've played with UMS on my Windows build to test it. I can use my Chromecast, Android phones/tablets, even other laptops to load media files. I only thought about FreeNAS because a NAS looks like a good option for my wife when doing homework on her laptop and switching over to the desktop. But I want Peppermint for UMS. I have no experience with file sharing. Is there a way to set up Peppermint so I can have both functions? UMS is just a stand alone program I install, nothing else. So I really need the easiest file sharing solution for my wife, we're talking about drag and drop simple. Only the server is Peppermint. Her laptop and desktop are running Windows 10.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: P6 as dual purpose server
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:45:07 pm »
If it's a NAS you're looking for have you considered Openmediavault
http://www.openmediavault.org/

It's very Freenas like only much easier to use and Linux based (Debian) there's a multitude of plugins such as rsync, plex, syncthing, transmission it can also do raid arrays and I believe ZFS is coming soon if it isn't already available and much more, I've had mine running for almost a year now without a reboot and it's been bullit proof, there's also a really good community supporting it

Since being taken over by ixsystems freenas went very enterprise centric and at least for me became unusable for the average home user,  Openmediavault on the other hand is aimed at the home user and is a piece of cake to set up and maintain

anyway good luck whatever way you go

Graeme
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:47:15 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 03:47:08 pm »
What's wrong with just sharing a folder on the network via samba ?

install system-config-samba:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
then share a directory via

menu > System Tools > Samba
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 08:38:52 pm »
What's wrong with just sharing a folder on the network via samba ?

install system-config-samba:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
then share a directory via

menu > System Tools > Samba

Nothing at all. Never used it. Will it act the same as a network drive, or plugging an external HDD into my router?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »
It will act the same as sharing a directory under windows .. you'll be able to access any directories you share on the network from any other PC (including Windows PC's) .. you can then (if you choose) set the shares up as "network drives" on the Windows PC's (or access them via whatever Microsoft now call "network neighbourhood"), and on Linux  PC's either access them via "networks" or automount them at bootup as a directory anywhere in the directory tree.
(either user/password protected or not)

You'll also be able to share any printer attached to that box.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:05:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec