Choose style:

Author Topic: Are Microsoft violating Sections 1 and 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 ?  (Read 3267 times)

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: Are Microsoft violating Sections 1 and 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 ?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 05:15:15 pm »
Although I think Microsoft are in contravention of the law here if they're taken to task on it they'll fight tooth and nail because all this spying is an essential part of their new business model,

Microsoft is no longer simply a software company they are (amongst other things) a spying/data mining company, that's why they're giving away Windows 10 for free, it's just pure spyware, and anyone who chooses to sign up to it deserves all they get,

The point I'm trying to make is the law should  really be irrelevant here because Microsoft seem to be quite open about what they're doing  and why they're doing it yet millions of people worldwide will still choose use it

I'm very careful to use the word "choose" in this context because for me the real victims are those who can't be expected to make an informed choice for themselves such as children ie my daughter bought a new Windows 10 surface laptop thing for my 8 year old Grand-Daughters Christmas and she asked me to help her set it up so it was good to go on Christmas morning, I refused on the grounds that I will not help Microsoft spy on my Grand-Daughter, at first she thought I was joking but I made it clear that this was something I felt very strongly about and I wasn't joking then she just shook her head and laughed

like it was funny
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »
Yep, the missus totally agrees with me on Win10 .. then keeps on using it  :o

I must disagree with this though:-

the law should  really be irrelevant here because Microsoft seem to be quite open about what they're doing

So as long as I tell you I'm going to burgle your house, it's then okay for me to do so ? .. I'm pretty sure that's not how the law works ;)

Besides which, they are NOT being open about it .. they led millions to believe they could disable phoning home via the privacy settings .. only AFTER millions chose to install did they admit that won't work.

On a side note - Have you seen the TV commercial for Win10 "one of these kids may be the next one to change the world, let's make sure they have the tools to do so - Windows 10"

Well one of those kids may come up with the next big idea .. but I'm betting (via Win10 reporting keystrokes home) Microsoft are the ones to patent the idea first ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:17:36 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 06:47:22 pm »
So as long as I tell you I'm going to burgle your house, it's then okay for me to do so ? .. I'm pretty sure that's not how the law works

Bad analogy
If you told me you were gonna burgle my house I'd be waiting on you with a baseball bat, but Windows users are giving Microsoft the bloody keys FFS what do they expect

here's my analogy
Imagine a big company saying to you here's a lovely new house for you and your family to live in rent free  you'll never own it but we'll keep it well maintained all you'll have to do is pay your utility bills, in return all we ask is we get to watch every thing everyone does in that house, listen to every conversation, every phone call you make, every phone call you answer, every TV program you watch, every book, newspaper, magazine you read, every visitor who comes to your house we'll be watching

would you take that offer ?
Do you think anyone that does has a right to expect any privacy ?
Do you think that would be fair on the children in that family who are too young to understand or have say in the matter ?

It's the children who are the victims because they are the ones who are going to grow up into a world where all this privacy abuse and data mining will be the norm because we couldn't do anything to prevent it

Personally I'd rather live in a cave

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 06:54:06 pm »
...Personally I'd rather live in a cave
I hear you loud and clear, Bedrock here I come - yabba dabba doo  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:24 pm »
here's my analogy
Imagine a big company saying to you here's a lovely new house for you and your family to live in rent free  you'll never own it but we'll keep it well maintained all you'll have to do is pay your utility bills, in return all we ask is we get to watch every thing everyone does in that house, listen to every conversation, every phone call you make, every phone call you answer, every TV program you watch, every book, newspaper, magazine you read, every visitor who comes to your house we'll be watching

But again that's not the point .. that's a lawful agreement, and yet another boring "reality" show rolled into one.

If they then broke into the house and did something illegal, say killed your grandmother whilst you all slept, they're still breaking the law (even if you agreed they could).

Probably why nobody's ever been bumped off in the Big Brother house .. Hmm, I think I'm beginning to see the other side of this  :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 02:37:02 am »
I agree they're breaking the law through deception in as much as giving the impression of privacy that doesn't really exist and their use of vague terms such as "core data" and "fair cause" makes it all a little bit muddy, so the question could be is Microsoft misleading their users into an illegal agreement, well I've no doubt they're misleading their users (nothing new there) but I'm not so sure about the legality if the users agree to it and Microsoft can prove there's no deception

to get back to the burglary analogy if you said to me you were gonna burgle my house and I said don't bother Mark here's the keys help yourself it's no longer burglary is it  and would I have a right to complain if you took something I wanted to keep

Microsoft Windows belongs to Microsoft they've spent $millions developing it and they now give it away for free and anyone who uses it should have no expectation of privacy and that could well be how a court would rule at the end of the day but what a court case could do is raise public awareness of what Microsoft is all about and that wouldn't be a bad thing
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:54:52 am by emegra »