Choose style:

Author Topic: Do you need to stay true to your desktop core design?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Do you need to stay true to your desktop core design?
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:46:23 am »
So what do I mean by this?

My question is based upon software that I install as I have gotten used to the interface/design/look-and-feel. Call it what you will.

Leafpad is my go to editor, I just like it as I do all the following apps
Clementine, Deluge, Shutter, Catfish (ps I so wish searching was as quick as "SearchEverything" on Windows)
but by installing all these am I impacting on the integrity of my system.  Is this mix and match of programs and how they are written, slowing my system down in any "pure" sense.
Should I just be installing them from the Repo or is adding their own PPA ok ?

Should I be trying to find the "Native" desktop application that works for the task at hand.  A perfect example of this is in the KDE desktop arena where you get things like Konsole, KMail, KTorrent - all written, I assume, to "fit" nice and snugly in the overall look and feel of the system and how it all hangs together at the core.

Does it matter that I prefer Google-Chrome over Chromium and or Firefox.  The fact that a distribution comes with Chromium lets say.  Is that because it "works" better with the core system and overall look and feel of the distribution or is it just a "preference" ?

I look forward to reading the responses  :-\ I think  :)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Do you need to stay true to your desktop core design?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:41:03 am »
If sticking to a DE's standard apps was any kind of requirement Peppermint wouldn't exist .. we mix and match a LOT, in fact there's very little remaining from a stock LXDE install, we're a mix of LXDE / Xfce / Cinnamon / Gnome / MATE /others

Linux in general, and LXDE in particular is designed to be very modular, so use whatever suits your workflow ;)

Some of the newer DE's might be less modular .. I'm assuming it'd be more difficult to use say the LXPanel in Gnome Shell, Unity or Cinnamon .. but there'd be nothing stopping you using it in say Xfce or probably MATE.

Applications on the other hand should run no matter where .. but expect KDE apps to need to pull in a LOT of dependencies when used elsewhere as they'll require a lot of the Qt supporting libraries, they *may* also look a bit odd in other desktop environments and require more resources as they load those dependencies, but they should work.

Obviously there may be little quirks, such as Nemo not automounting a USB stick when it's plugged in in Peppermint 6 requiring you to click on it in Nemo to mount it (Nemo requires other Cinnamon components to do this), but "generally" nothing show stopping.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:47:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:42:48 am »
Hi zebedeeboss how's it going?  That's a great question.  No, I don't think it really matters.  If you can get the mix and match to work together - go for it.  Peppermint is a base system and is specifically designed to be built upon.  It's also itself a mix match of software.  How you use software, is up to you.  Sure, if you decide to use KDE with Peppermint, (why on earth you would want to do this is beyond me  :-\).  Things are going to get slow and get memory hungry for sure.  They're also going to look out of place.  Saying that, I have installed, Clementine 1.2.3. via a ppa.  This is a qt piece of software.  I use it because I find Clementine suits my audio needs the best.  So I have the latest and greatest version and very nice it is too  ;).  I also have Shutter.  Sure it's a chunky piece of software but it's also a great piece of screen capturing software.  I've also installed via a ppa, Stellarium because I find it very interesting.  It also blows people away when you demonstrate it as an example of Open source software.  It really shuts up people who think Open source means cheap and low quality.  I've got Handbrake installed and htop, youtube-dl and Google Chrome because I use Netflix.  They all work for me, so they're also the right mix.  This is why I love Linux and especially Peppermint because it allows me to make my own system  ;).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:45:42 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:03:35 am »
Sorry I forgot PPA's....

PPA's are a difficult one, personally I use them where they're

a) a PPA of the official project, so I feel I can trust the software in it
AND
b) the PPA only contains a single application, not a ton of stuff unrelated to what I'm after.

The reason for (a) is obvious

The reason for (b) is this .. let's say I want a latter version of say VLC from somewhere like noobslab / webupd8 .. if I add a PPA that also contains a ton of other software (and forget to disable it after installing VLC) the next time I update my system it may update some applications and/or libraries I didn't want updating .. if one of those updated libs breaks somethng from the default repos I may have a devil of a job sorting things out, even when I track down the errant lib and remove it that will immediately break whatever updated app called it as a dependency.

So I tend to stick to self contained single app PPA's from the official app author .. where I want something from multi app PPA's I'll either make sure I disable the PPA after installing only what I wanted, or more likely I'll just download the .deb file from the PPA and install it manually, and if it needs some dependency from the PPA I may get that too but at least I've understood what I just changed/added and I can be sure it's not going to do something unexpected next time I run an update.

What I'm trying to say is PPA's are a godsend, but if you're not careful with them they can easily drop you into dependency hell and tie your system in so many knots nobody will be able to help you unravel it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:11:41 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:16:41 am »
Thank you both for your answers 😊.  It has now clarified a number of things I only previously guessed at.
As for KDE. It has its place and some of the new stuff looks real cool.  If you have a machine big enough to run it full bore.
I'll be sticking with Peppermint and will only "play" with the otherstuff cos I can't stop... but also so that when asked I can speak from experience.
Cheers 😃

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:43:55 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 03:31:08 pm »
Great question, zebedeeboss!  Terrific answers, too!!  ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 03:30:17 pm »
What I'm trying to say is PPA's are a godsend, but if you're not careful with them they can easily drop you into dependency hell and tie your system in so many knots nobody will be able to help you unravel it.

And, if one LIKES breakage (some ppl do) may I suggest leaving 'proposed' enabled ?

It'll teach you a lesson that can't be taught any other way - with the except of swinging a cat around your head by its tail.   :D