Choose style:

Author Topic: A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff  (Read 5262 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »
All good points, zebedeeboss!  ;)

As for the Budgie desktop...  it is still wayyyyyy to young in its development to be considered a daily user. IMHO.  The main developer has a tendency to flit from pillar to post like a butterfly in a Garden.  That said, there has always been a certain "elegance" to Ikey's work and if he sticks with it both the Solus Project and Budgie could become very popular.  It is an interesting one to watch and whilst I have it installed, it only gets used for an hour or so.... just to see how its coming and what the updates bring.

Yes, it is an intersting one to watch.

As for Gnome and xfce... I think Cinnamon has to be up there too as there are more and more distro's out there offering it.   If pressed, I don't think I could really say which DE is "the standard" for Linux.

Yes, I don't really know which one is the "standard" any longer.  For the longest time I thought it was GNOME.  Now the "standard" Linux DE seems to be either GNOME or Xfce.  Cinnamon, however is very popular, and, from my understanding, Cinnamon really is really a GNOME spin off.  So, maybe GNOME is the standard Linux DE after all.  (Many people do not like having to configure Xfce, but I still think it's a wonderful DE.)

LXDE's development has stopped, and LXQt's development is now at who know's where?  I'm very happy with Peppermint has done with the LXDE style of DEs.  Is our style of LXDE more Xfce than GNOME, or is it an excellent mix of both within an LXDE desktop environment?  :-\

I really don't know, but it sure works like a charm on our laptop computers in this house.

Now, zebedeeboss, you have me wondering what it would be like to put Cinnamon upon Ubuntu's GNOME DE instead of Unity"s UI.  I bet that combination would work very, very well.  I may experiment with that idea just for the heck of it.  I suspect it would me a less cluttered DE than Mint's Cinnamon edition, or putting Cinnamon on top of Unity --which makes it another cluttered desktop environment.

Yep, I can see it coming now --another mad experiment of mine! ::)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 01:07:32 pm »

Yep, I can see it coming now --another mad experiment of mine! ::)

I love it - let us know how you get on please  :)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:49 pm »
Well Gents I did it without adding the PPA --for better or worse, I don't know.

First I installed Ubuntu GNOME 15.10, and then I updated, upgraded, and dist-upgraded.  After this I removed Empathy, and a program or two I knew I was never going to use. (Sorry I forget their names, but there were in my default GNOME favorites.)  After enabling Canonical partners in Software and Updates, I added both Skype and Chromium browser through the terminal .  Then, I simply ran sudo apt-get install cinnamon in the terminal, and rebooted.

I soon found then that enabling Cinnamon (Software Rendering) worked better for me than simply enabling only Cinnamon.  I then added Numix-Circle icons from GitHub, and went into Cinnamon's Themes to enable them. 

The good news is:  Yes, it works! 8)

The bad news is:  I still get the same old error messages I had gotten before with GNOME proper, and I still was not able to use Chromium without being continually being asked if I'd like to make Chromium my default browser --even though I had made Chromium browser default in my default applications. >:(

Cinnamon did seem to run lighter and cooler than GNOME proper, but I know now without a doubt that Xubuntu 14.04.3 works better than Cinnamon 15.10 on my computer.  But a tiny mystery has now solved.  Yes, it can be done! :)

This said, to any readers interested in trying this, please listen to what VinDSL says here on how he would go about doing this.  VinDSL was once part of the development team for Ubuntu GNOME  --that is before Peppermint kidnapped him away from los bastados de Ubuntu.  He's the guy to listen to here --not me!

Now, between GNOME or Cinnamon, which DE do I prefer better?  I prefer GNOME!  So thank you, Mr. Five Year Old. and Mr. Clown, for working so well together to create GNOME's unique DE.  Your work is good.  I strongly urge you two to keep this productive partnership going. ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 08:30:14 pm »
@Perknh

Run:
Code: [Select]
sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
and choose the number that corresponds with /usr/bin/chromium-browser

Then do the same with
Code: [Select]
sudo update-alternatives --config gnome-www-browser
and see if that sets chromium-browser as the default web browser
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
Oh, while I'm on my amends kick, I've been wrong saying that Xubuntu's memory usage is about the same, or even less, than Peppermint's.  Reading htop again, I'd say that Xubuntu's memory usage on my computer is about double that of Peppermint's --while the CPU usage is about the same. (This still means that Xubuntu's memory footprint is very light.) This, therefore, makes Peppermint one of the most resource-friendly Linux distributions there is for everyday use.

Hi perknh,

You are correct with your conclusion that Peppermint Six is lighter (in terms of memory usage, by about a factor of 2) than Xubuntu. If you really want to go light then I am sorry to tell you (given your failed trials recently) that I have gone back to using one of my first window managers (WMs): Fluxbox.

It is really light on memory (at least on my computer) and uses about the same amount of RAM as the ultra-light i3wm -- approx. 74-75 MB. Of course, I must also say that I do not use any desktop icons or lots of desktop candy (other than conky).

I have just finished annotating my Fluxbox config files for anyone interested in using Fluxbox with Peppermint Six and will be contacting PCNetSpec about providing a link to them for downloads within this forum (most likely in the section containing "User Tutorials"), so stay tuned if interested...  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 05:49:49 pm »
see if that sets chromium-browser as the default web browser

Thank you, PCNetSpec, but I had no luck.  I was given two options for Chromium browser, 0 and 1, and I tried them both --but nothing happened.  I know I took all day with this, but I also tried installing the mini iso of Ubuntu 15.10 (to use GNOME core) --but that wouldn't install either for me.

Mind you I do not have these problems with Chromium browser with 14.04, and I don't have problems with the mini iso for GNOME core of 14.04 either.  Although it's true I've been in and out of the house all day, I've also done about 4-5 different installations too in the meantime.  I'm having a rough time with 15.10 concerning Chromium in GNOME, and the 15.10 minimal iso itself.

Nonetheless, thank you for sharing with us that terrific pair of commands and that great idea.  Trusty works for me with Chromium in GNOME, and Trusty's mini iso works for me too --even when opting for the 15.10 LTS kernel!  These are strange happenings, aren't they?  :-\

I know this Peppermint forum, and we can't dig too deeply into this here.  But thank you very much for these ideas. ;)

@Slim.Fatz

Thanks, Slim.  I'm happy to know I'm starting to read these numbers correctly.  :)   

Good to hear about Fluxbox.  I'll be paying attention to PCNetSpec''s announcements and links.  Thank you, Slim.Fatz, for doing this for us.

perknh

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 03:12:19 am »
@Slim.Fatz

Thanks, Slim.  I'm happy to know I'm starting to read these numbers correctly.  :)   

Good to hear about Fluxbox.  I'll be paying attention to PCNetSpec''s announcements and links.  Thank you, Slim.Fatz, for doing this for us.

perknh

Hi perknh,

You are very welcome. I just hope that the finished tutorial is easy to understand and that it works!!  :P I hope to be finished with it by the end of the week (work has a bad habit of eating away all of my spare time  :D ).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 05:42:55 am »
@Slim.Fatz

Sure mate, just PM me when you're ready and I'll attach the configs for you :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 05:57:52 am »
(work has a bad habit of eating away all of my spare time  :D ).

I understand, Slim.Fatz.  Most people I know are as busy as can be these days --myself included.

I have had some more time, however, to look at GNOME 15.10, and my conclusion is that it's buggy.  Its sign-in doesn't work correctly.  I don't need to put in my user name --any word will do, including my password, and, Presto!, I'm in!  Also, last night I was watching a YouTube video when everything just stopped abruptly  --taking me instantly to my sign-in page.  That experience came right out of nowhere!

I don't think these issues are GNOME issues per se; I think they're GNOME issues coupled with 15.10.  Also, the terminal doesn't work right within Openbox and Fluxbox within GNOME's 15.10 either.  There's no command line where you can enter a command!

scifidude79 is right:  If it's not LTS, then the distribution will be, by default, a testing version of Ubuntu --and that will mean lots vexatious little bugs! ;D