Choose style:

Author Topic: A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff  (Read 5272 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:29 am »
It wasn't really that funny.  I mean, he repeatedly said "it's stupid" and "Bozo the Clown made it."  That was the whole video.

I hated Gnome 3 at first, but I've used the more modern version with the newer Shell extensions and whatnot and, in my opinion, it's not bad.  With a few minutes spent with the tweak tool, you can put a regular menu on there, deactivate that side panel and activities overview thing, add a bottom panel (if so desired) and address the thing he most crapped about:  add a workspace switcher to the panel.  Everything he complained about:  there's a tweak/Shell extension for that.  Is it my favorite DE available?  No, not even close.  Is it usable if necessary?  Yes, it is, in my opinion.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
It's strange that what causes one user problems is working perfectly for someone else. I have now been using it constantly and heavily this morning (uptime 5H 12M) without a single blip.  Will reboot shortly following installation of Nvidia drivers and a system update and see how it goes.

Hi zebedeeboss,

Besides all of the error messages, I was getting, I actually enjoyed trying GNOME 15.10 out.  And, now that I've tried both GNOME and MATE, I have to say I found GNOME to be a lot more fun than I had expected.  Oh, another thing I experienced, which was driving me nuts, was that I could not make Chromium my default browser --even after uninstalling Firefox (which I didn't really want to do.)  Even though I had Chromium set as my default browser in Default Applications, and even without Firefox on my computer, I kept getting the message to make Chromium my default browser time and time again.  It just wouldn't stick after doing so.  (But, in Settings I always had the message that Chromium could not determine what my default browser was. :-\)

I'm glad you've had no blips, zebedeeboss.  In my case I hardly ever have a blip with either Peppermint or Xubuntu --thank Goodness!  :)

@ scifidude79

Yeah, name calling, or calling anything stupid, is rarely ever helpful.  That did catch me by surprise.  Usually Otherstuff's videos are positive and upbeat.  Maybe it was bad call on my part to post that video review.  I confess, the first minute of it hit my funny bone --because it caught me totally off guard with the pictures of the 5-year-old boy and Bozo the Clown.  But after that it wasn't nearly so funny.  Believe it or not, I'm actually going away from this thread with more respect, and a higher opinion, of the GNOME project than with what I had had before this discussion.  VinDSL actually sold me on the GNOME project, even if I had problems with it on my own computer.

I now know I do disagree with Otherstuff's opinions about GNOME (or Xfce for that matter.)

@PCNetSpec

You can clearly see that GNOME is the foundation for Unity.  Honestly, I think Unity is easier to use than GNOME because you don't have to go up to the top left corner of your screen to make the side panel emerge.  That said, and with the exception of many error messages, I actually found GNOME 3 to be a cleaner and more transparent distribution than Ubuntu's Unity in general.  Unity would, or could be good, if the user could modify the UI more, get rid of the all the bloat, and if Ubuntu Unity would respect its users privacy by default.  But I'm beginning to doubt I will ever see these things happen.

[EDIT for a more accurate representation of Otherstuff's views.]

Still, at the end of the day, I'll probably be back with my loyal combo of Peppermint and Xubuntu.  Although Otherstuff doesn't like Xfce's Whisker menu, I personally think it is extremely user friendly.  Also, Xubuntu has an LCD clock that I consider the best around.  I also like its automatic wallpaper changer.  Otherstuff, himself personally, sees no reason to run Xfce when we now have MATE DE which he considers superior to Xfce DE and less quirky. 

Me?  I still like Peppermint better than Ubuntu MATE.  I like our menu better, and I personally like Peppermint's appearance better than MATE's too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:39:50 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 03:44:09 pm »
Xfce is now unnecessary because of MATE.

Did he really say that ?

<PCNetSpec bites his tongue and contemplates the term "Bozo the clown" ::)>
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:46:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 04:06:00 pm »
Xfce is now unnecessary because of MATE.

Did he really say that ?

<PCNetSpec bites his tongue and contemplates the term "Bozo the clown" ::)>

He sees no reason to use it because of MATE.  That was the impression I got from his review.  I don't know, maybe you'd have a different take from his review of Xfce than what I had had. :-\

This is the review on Xfce from Otherstuff of which I am referring:

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »
Oh okay, that's a completely different statement ;)

Maybe a bit harsh blaming Xfce for a non standard theme though  :-\
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:46:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:03 pm »
I'm sorry to say, I tried to endure three of this bloke's videos.  Other than his liking to the sound of his own limited vocabulary.  The only things I can gain from them are.  He doesn't know how to make an objective critique and likes to make personal attacks on hard working developers.  In my opinion, they're a waste of time - far too corky, (whatever hell that is) and stupid to be taken seriously.  Videos like this just annoy me, as they contribute nothing positive to the advancement of Linux as a viable desktop OS.  They'll no doubt appeal to the lower end of the Linux gene pool. 
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »
Oh okay, that's a completely different statement ;)

Maybe a bit harsh blaming Xfce for a non standard theme though  :-\

Thank you, PCNetSpec.  I watched the video again, and edited my post.  Hopefully, I've now represented Otherstuff's views more accurately as to why he personally chooses not to use Xfce.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I hope you'll agree that this is a better representation of his personal views concerning Xfce.  I also got a chance to throw in my admiration for Xfce's automatic wallpaper changer -- a feature he didn't happen to mention within his review of Xfce.

@AndyInMokum

Videos like this just annoy me, as they contribute nothing positive to the advancement of Linux as a viable desktop OS.

Good point!  You'll be seeing far fewer of Otherstuff's videos from me, I promise. ;) 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:15:12 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 06:05:15 pm »
I'm sorry to say, I tried to endure three of this bloke's videos.  Other than his liking to the sound of his own limited vocabulary.  The only things I can gain from them are.  He doesn't know how to make an objective critique and likes to make personal attacks on hard working developers.  In my opinion, they're a waste of time - far too corky, (whatever hell that is) and stupid to be taken seriously.  Videos like this just annoy me, as they contribute nothing positive to the advancement of Linux as a viable desktop OS.  They'll no doubt appeal to the lower end of the Linux gene pool.

Pity because the first couple of videos I saw by this guy were quite good .. where he explained how to theme MATE like Peppermint, and how to fix the dark calendar text in the theme .. but these "my opinion of  the <insert> desktop environment" videos are not constructive in any way, and purely egotistical.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:07:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 06:28:33 pm »
[...] since we on the subject of Gnome 3, how is it?  Does anyone around here like it at all?

Yes, I like it just fine.  Allow me to explain, though...

I do a LOT of testing and haxoring - been doing it since the early 80s - DEC VAX mainframes at work, multi-line dialup BBSs out of my home, shared hosting websites (since Al Gore invented the Internet), blah, blah, blah.  It's what I like to do.  Pushing, pushing, pushing, all the time - can't stand it when things just work.

When Canonical came out with their whizz-bang Unity UI (which is actually just a Compiz plugin) I searched for a tool to customize it, and I couldn't find any better way then using Gnome Shell.... 

VinDSL, I was glad to find this review after what I posted at the beginning of this thread.  It's nice to hear something positive about GNOME, especially after I had posted Otherstuff's video  --a video review I wish now I had not posted here in Peppermint.

I wonder:  Could Ubuntu ever go back to GNOME as a default DE?  Probably not, but I bet a lot of people would prefer GNOME DE to Unity UI.

perknh

Review: Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 is what vanilla Ubuntu should be:  Reviewing Ubuntu GNOME 15.10, the most impressive release since Ubuntu made the switch to Unity.

by Bryan Lunduke for NETWORKWORD

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3007257/opensource-subnet/review-ubuntu-gnome-15-10.html

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 07:38:15 pm »
If I had to choose between Unity and Gnome3/Shell, I'd choose................... Drum roll................... wait for it................... here it comes................... Cyanide  :o
(or possibly sticking my head into a 400 ton stamping press and turning it into a set of spoons)

Seriously, "task/activity" desktops drive me nutz, so you can guess what my thoughts were when I read an article claiming KDE are also going down the "activity" route (not that I've liked KDE since 3.5 anyway).

LXfcDE4innamon suits me just fine :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:05:03 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 08:10:15 pm »
If I had to choose between Unity and Gnome3/Shell, I'd choose................... Drum roll................... wait for it................... here it comes................... Cyanide  :o

Seriously, "task/activity" desktops drive me nutz, so you can guess what my thoughts were when I read an article claiming KDE are also going down the "activity" route (not that I've liked KDE since 3.5 anyway).

LXfcDE4 suits me just fine :)
Here, here - I don't understand this trend with Linux developers to make desktops as complicated and cluttered as possible.  They need to get back to Linux grass roots and keep things simple.  Here's an idea, we need some Japanese developers and classically trained graphic designers to shake things up.  They'd have things looking simple, elegant and very tasteful in a hurry  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 09:28:31 pm »
(or possibly sticking my head into a 400 ton stamping press and turning it into a set of spoons)

I know that we all have personalized ad choices here in Peppermint, but, PCNetSpec ....OUCH!  My ad choices in Peppermint have now proven to me that there are many better ways to go than that! ;D

Here, here - I don't understand this trend with Linux developers to make desktops as complicated and cluttered as possible.  They need to get back to Linux grass roots and keep things simple.  Here's an idea, we need some Japanese developers and classically trained graphic designers to shake things up.  They'd have things looking simple, elegant and very tasteful in a hurry  ;).

I do believe that Steve Jobs took a lot of ideas from Japan by flirting around with Japanese philosophy, which, by its very nature, includes an emphasis on simplicity.   Simplicity can then lead to a wonderful sense of aesthetics.  I get what you're saying here, Andy.  ;)

I never even heard of these Japanese distributions, but here's a list:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=Japan&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&status=Active

Andy, do you by any chance like the aesthetics of a very famous distribution called Deepin?   It is of Chinese origin --not Japanese.  It does have a new aesthetic that many people find appealing.  I would look at it again if President Xi Jinping of China hadn't said that he wants the Chinese government to have a backdoor to all computer programs operating in China.  I figure could mean that Deepin could possibly become a surveilled Linux OS.  And, if not Deepin itself, than I would suspect its forum would be under surveillance.  But this only a guess.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:52 am »
Yeah, I see Elementary's pantheon DE always gets good reviews for that exact reason .. simple and elegant, a lot like G3/GS but without the clutter and bits shooting out sideways all over the place.

And before someone suggests a Peppermintheon spin .. it normally gets rave reviews right up until they notice all the bugs and limitations (I'm also betting it's heavy, though don't know for sure).

Might be interesting to see if they have any components worth cherry picking and how they licence them though  .. anyone used Elementary much ?

[EDIT]

As an aside, Ikey Doherty (as a joke) recently asked on his G+ page if anyone thought there'd ever be an official Ubuntu version with the Budgie desktop .. Bubuntu :o

Someone pointed out it's much more likely than a version with Pantheon :))

[EDIT2]

We need a DE that starts with the letter "F" .. FU buntu
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:27:32 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 07:59:26 am »
Yeah, I see Elementary's pantheon DE always gets good reviews for that exact reason .. simple and elegant
As an aside, Ikey Doherty (as a joke) recently asked on his G+ page if anyone thought there'd ever be an official Ubuntu version with the Budgie desktop .. Bubuntu :o

Someone pointed out it's much more likely than a version with Pantheon :))...

[EDIT2]

We need a DE that starts with the letter "F" .. FU buntu

You know what's funny about all these DEs?  We write about all of them from the comfort of Peppermint! ;D

You know since I've added the Variety wallpaper changer to P6, I haven't even wandered much over to Xubuntu at all.  Simple and elegant is already here with Peppermint 6.  The trick with an LXDE-style DE is learning how to customize it to one's own personal wants and needs.

Oh, while I'm on my amends kick, I've been wrong saying that Xubuntu's memory usage is about the same, or even less, than Peppermint's.  Reading htop again, I'd say that Xubuntu's memory usage on my computer is about double that of Peppermint's --while the CPU usage is about the same. (This still means that Xubuntu's memory footprint is very light.) This, therefore, makes Peppermint one of the most resource-friendly Linux distributions there is for everyday use. (I know there's Tiny Core, Slitaz, and Porteus for flash drive distros that can run off of memory.)  But, for any everyday, practical distribution Peppermint, and old-fashioned Xubuntu, are still the best I've found.

I've never tried Elementary.  From what I remember, its site first starts by asking for a $10 donation, and then you learn that its default browser is Midori.  After seeing those two things, I've never proceeded any further to investigate the distribution.

Bubuntu would have been excellent name for the Unity UI --since most old time Linuxites don't like it at all.  And we did have at one time a well-respected distribution that began with the letter F --Fuduntu.  But, nice as it appeared to be, it too went belly up.  It had a GNOME DE, and I always thought it looked pretty nice.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Fuduntu

I've never tried the Budgie DE.  Was it you who once said that the future of Linux DEs seemed to be headed in the direction of Budgie? :-\

Budgie would give the Linux world a fresh new start for a DE.  There would be no need to patch and repatch.  Right now I still think the two standard DEs for Linux are considered to be GNOME and Xfce --Xfce being the much more resource-friendly DE of the two.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 09:32:11 am »
With Elementary you can choose a "Custom" donation and pick 0 and then proceed to download.     I have distro hopped it and it was one of those that "failed" my criteria.   Now these are very specific to me and if one aspect fails - I can't be bothered to spend hours and hours reading how to get it right.  There are too many other distro's out there that just work for my selection of programs I need and the way I use them.

That said, it has been a while and I may take another look just to check it out as I have also learnt more tricks to get my required setup working.  A lot of people (google+'ers) give it  good feedback when people ask "What Distro should I choose"

As for the Budgie desktop...  it is still wayyyyyy to young in its development to be considered a daily user. IMHO.  The main developer has a tendency to flit from pillar to post like a butterfly in a Garden.  That said, there has always been a certain "elegance" to Ikey's work and if he sticks with it both the Solus Project and Budgie could become very popular.  It is an interesting one to watch and whilst I have it installed, it only gets used for an hour or so.... just to see how its coming and what the updates bring.

As for Gnome and xfce... I think Cinnamon has to be up there too as there are more and more distro's out there offering it.   If pressed, I don't think I could really say which DE is "the standard" for Linux.

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080