Choose style:

Author Topic: A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff  (Read 4984 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff
« on: November 07, 2015, 10:31:51 am »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
Re: A Funny Review of Gnome 3 by Otherstuff
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:37:03 am »
Bozo the clown, I think clowns would be insulted

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:54:17 am »
It bothers me that "reviewers" are quick to give such negative reviews based on half an hour with the DE, and before learning how to use it .. his "problem" was really with the workspace switcher, and IIRC you can get it to display all open apps on one screen then select the one you want and be taken immediately to it

the whole point in the G3 shell was that it's "task" oriented .. so different tasks types could be easily grouped together under their own workspaces .. then you'd use the keyboard to switch between groups.

Now don't get me wrong, G3 shell drives me nutz too .. but at least learn to use the feature you're about to slag off .. THEN slag it off :)

This seemed akin to where people say Windows is "easier" than Linux  just because they're "used to" Windows and can't be bothered with a learning curve .. the G3 workspace switcher is "different" in fact it's that different that I can't be bothered with it either, but I won't call it stupid just because I haven't learned to use it, for all I know it could be the best thing since sliced bread once you get to grips with it.

[EDIT]

I gave it a good 9 months before deciding it was one of the most frustrating DE's I'd ever tried :))
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:06:40 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 11:50:41 am »
LMAO !   :D

The funniest part of the video, to me, is the Bozo who made it.  He needs Docky on G3 ?  Really ?

He obviously hasn't got a clue HOW to use G3.  All he's doing is pointing out his stupidity.

How embarrassing ?!?!?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 02:36:06 pm »
This review caught me off guard, and completely by surprise.  Otherstuff has been very gracious to Peppermint --several times, in fact.  And, really, I've never seen him say a mean word about any distro --ever-- until he reviewed Ubuntu's Gnome 3, and Ubuntu's Unity UI.  Then, when Otherstuff reviews these two particular distributions, he seems to go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde in a heartbeat.  Those two particular distributions just hit him wrong.

But, since we on the subject of Gnome 3, how is it?  Does anyone around here like it at all?  A while back, I remember doing an awful lot of clicking with Gnome 3 to get anything done.

Still, I have to say this about the developers of any distribution, Gnome 3 or otherwise;  it is very easy to criticize a distribution, but it is another story altogether to create one.  My hat is off to any developer of any distro.  A lot of work goes into creating a distribution.  I know, truthfully, I'm in no position to criticize any of them ever --although I certainly do have some I prefer to others.  (One exception:  I do reserve the right to criticize Windows.  This is only my opinion, but I believe Windows has become one gigantic con game --the leasing, the phone calls, etc. ad infinitum... and I've grown to hate it.)

But, if anyone has anything good to say about Gnome 3, please do.  There has to be somebody here who likes Gnome 3, or can a least rattle off a few of Gnome 3's virtues. 

I'll begin here:  Gnome 3 does have a classic look and feel, and Retro can be very, very cool! ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:16:34 pm »
Here's one .. it's not KDE or Unity .. beyond that someone else will need to jump in ;)

These so called task/activity oriented  DE's (which are really just "touchscreen/desktop convergence" DE's) are not for me .. I tried to like them but just couldn't.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:19:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 03:25:51 pm »
[...] since we on the subject of Gnome 3, how is it?  Does anyone around here like it at all?

Yes, I like it just fine.  Allow me to explain, though...

I do a LOT of testing and haxoring - been doing it since the early 80s - DEC VAX mainframes at work, multi-line dialup BBSs out of my home, shared hosting websites (since Al Gore invented the Internet), blah, blah, blah.  It's what I like to do.  Pushing, pushing, pushing, all the time - can't stand it when things just work.

When Canonical came out with their whizz-bang Unity UI (which is actually just a Compiz plugin) I searched for a tool to customize it, and I couldn't find any better way then using Gnome Shell. 

At first, I hated Gnome3, like everyone else, but after a couple of years of using it I started preferring GS to Unity - so much so that I signed onto GS Staging with Jeremy Bicha at the helm.  When Jeremy decided to move on, so did I (let's just leave it at that).

If you're interested in this sort of stuff, check out this archive:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097359

Anyway, I've got a lot invested in GS - like it - and use it the majority of the time when testing Ubu code.

That's why I find the video above so amusing.  Anyone that *thinks* they're going to figure out Gnome3 in a few sessions is delusional.  It took me a couple of years.   :D

I might also mention, G3/GS is a work in progress.  Initially, they removed a lot of features that were present in Gnome2, which immediately pissed off their user base.  GS and Unity have become better products for the changes though, IMO. 

Here's a snappy of my GS desktop sitting idle - no trickery - 3 hr runtime.  As you can see, it doesn't use a lot of resources these days, and the performance is acceptable on my ancient iron.

How does it compare ?  No contest.  Peppermint flies like the wind on this machine, but G3/GS is head n' heels above Unity, in both handling and performance.

I'll stop now...   8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:28:58 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 04:56:24 pm »
I *really* should take another look at G3/GS as I've heard it's much improved from when it was released (and when I last tried it) .. but I just know I won't like it.

That may say as much about me as G3 though.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 09:20:31 pm »
All that video told me is that guy doesn't know how to work in Gnome 3 or that he personally prefers another desktop environment or if a DE doesn't work the way he thinks it should work it must be crap

so presumably he's an expert who's developed desktop environment that is far superior to Gnome 3

The problem is I can't find any evidence of his expertise

so presumably I'm just looking in the wrong places

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 09:50:59 pm »
Everyone's entitled to an opinion .. but it oversteps the mark if you publicly get personal about the developers.

By all means draw attention to perceived weaknesses (even though others will disagree), name calling is a step too far.

He didn't like it, I get it (neither do I) .. but then it didn't cost him anything, nor did the devs force it on him under false pretence.......

Also it should be stated that no matter how much you dislike G3/GS .. a good chunk of what people generally consider "Desktop" Linux wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Gnome project (in fact I'll pretty much guarantee that he uses some of their libraries on his system, no matter which DE he prefers) .. they deserve respect even if you dislike the current Gnome DE.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:16:49 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 03:08:51 am »
All that video told me is that guy doesn't know how to work in Gnome 3 or that he personally prefers another desktop environment or if a DE doesn't work the way he thinks it should work it must be crap

Hhmmm ... sounds like Veggie!?!  :o

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 Beta / P9 Respin
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 04:14:14 am »
OK - Lets get this out of the way first...   "Shut it!!!!!"    I hopped OK... You knew I was going to do it - I knew I was going to do it - So lets leave it at that   :P

Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome runs really well... but you all knew that anyway.  Yes the interface is difference but its very usable - I suppose I should watch the video to see what he is griping about, but do I need to. As we all keep saying... its about choice, don't like it - move onto the next one. Criticism needs to be constructive and preferably with a solution to the problem or dislike you think you have found.

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 Beta x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 07:53:11 am »
Also it should be stated that no matter how much you dislike G3/GS .. a good chunk of what people generally consider "Desktop" Linux wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Gnome project (in fact I'll pretty much guarantee that he uses some of their libraries on his system, no matter which DE he prefers) .. they deserve respect even if you dislike the current Gnome DE.

It's funny you say this, because I've been watching Otherstuff's videos ever since he first reviewed Peppermint.  And his absolute, favorite distro of all time is Ubuntu's MATE --which has to be using nearly everything from the GNOME project.  So your point, PCNetSpec, in this particular case, might even be understated!  Otherstuff has said, in one of his MATE videos, that anyone, from a beginner to an advanced user, need look any further than Ubuntu MATE.  He also gives high marks to the LXDE desktop evnoronment --Peppermint's in particular.  He also finds finds Manjaro's Fluxbox a very interesting project.  And, finally, he finds the Xfce desktop good, but quirky and unnecessary, because of MATE.

So, yeah, I'd say the GNOME project is foundational to Otherstuff's online life, and he wouldn't be using MATE without it.  So, clever and colorful as Otherstuff may be, he may end up having to do a mea culpa on this one! 

Me?  I'm getting lots of error messages with my installation of Ubuntu GNOME 15.10, but it does have a lot less bloat than Unity.  Really, other than a gazillion error messages, I'm not finding it all that bad.  And it's not nearly as nosy as Unity either.  Still my biggest beef with Ubuntu GNOME is that I don't see that cute little Gnome footprint symbol anymore.  I had liked knowing that little fellow had been around! :)

After going about a year without looking at Ubuntu's MATE project, I'm now going to take another look on MATE.  I guess I'm on a GNOME kick now.  If I see any footprints over there, I'll know where that little fellow has gone! ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 08:11:54 am »
If you think of Gnome Shell as for a touchscreen tablet, and consider that on a tablet you're highly likely to run ONE application per desktop, their slide out "task switcher" makes a lot of sense (maybe less so as a "desktop switcher" on a traditional PC).

That said, I'm not a fan of "convergence" desktops .. desktops and tablets have VERY different requirement .. IMHO a DE that's designed for both will always be a "jack of all trades, master of non" affair.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 Beta / P9 Respin
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 08:18:19 am »
Me?  I'm getting lots of error messages with my installation of Ubuntu GNOME 15.10, but it does have a lot less bloat than Unity.  Really, other than a gazillion error messages, I'm not finding it all that bad.  And it's not nearly as nosy as Unity either.  Still my biggest beef with Ubuntu GNOME is that I don't see that cute little Gnome footprint symbol anymore.  I had liked knowing that little fellow had been around! :)
Hi perknh

It's strange that what causes one user problems is working perfectly for someone else. I have now been using it constantly and heavily this morning (uptime 5H 12M) without a single blip.  Will reboot shortly following installation of Nvidia drivers and a system update and see how it goes.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 Beta x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080