Choose style:

Author Topic: The Decline of Linux Diversity  (Read 3775 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: The Decline of Linux Diversity
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:08 am »
What I'm gathering from this discussion, however, is that the actual number of Linux distributions is unknowable.

Precisely .. and even if it were, it'd not be a reliable indicator of the health of the Linux ecosystem or its "diversity" .. only the amount of "people" (again unknowable) involved in that ecosystem could be used reliably.

That said, it's pretty plain to see there's no slowdown in Linux development or the amount of *people* interested in it, in fact quite the opposite.
(though I'll not call that "evidence" then go write an "article" using nothing but my own observation and interpretation ;))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 04:00:44 pm »
Actually the more I read by this guy, the more I question it
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/choosing-a-linux-desktop-for-beginners.html

Quote from: Bruce Byfield - Datamation
If I Had to Make a Single Choice

I am reluctant to name a single choice for everyone. Instead, I would start with what matters to the new user I was coaching, and narrow down the choices from there.

Yet, if I had to choose a single recommendation, it would be a recent Cinnamon or MATE release with KDE installed. This choice rates high in all the categories mentioned except first impressions

Is it just me, or does that make no sense ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 04:08:39 pm »
No not just you

It's the last line that gets me  ???

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:03 pm »
I'm with you, PCNetSpec. He not only makes little sense: he also does not seem to grasp the difference between a Desktop Environment and a Linux distro.
Definitely not the right kind of person to be introducing Noobs to Linux::)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
In addition, a distribution with advanced features shows Linux at its best. The most advanced desktops today all run on Linux, and, aside from free- licenses, are the most important features that a desktop or a distro can offer. Give users room to explore, and you will be presenting Linux in the best possible perspective -- to say nothing of introducing new users to what Linux is supposed to be about.

Sorry...   I have re-read and re-read this and I still don't see what the important features are that he mentions in this paragraph.

He talks about picking the right distribution for the right audience.  So whether that is "Full Featured" or "Light" it's right for the user and therefore important. "Advanced features shows Linux at its best"    I disagree!  The flexibility of Linux shows it at its best. Light and fast, full featured and flashy, robust and plodding or any combination you wish to choose. THAT is the power of Linux. In my opinion.

His article is not well thought out and meanders around topics and ideas without true direction.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k