Choose style:

Author Topic: LTS for Peppermint?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline mj

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
LTS for Peppermint?
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »
I have downloaded Peppermint Four and tested it as a live USB (not persistent) on my Samsung N130.  I have a friend who is wanting to be able to use her Dell Mini 10 (1011) that has Windows XP Home on it and thought Peppermint might do the trick for her.  I would really like to put an LTS version on her netbook.  Does Peppermint have one or one in the making?

The friend lives out of state and I'm planning on doing this during her next visit here which is still in the planning stage.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: LTS for Peppermint?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:51 pm »
Peppermint 5 is in the works and it is an LTS version should be coming out soon, we are all waiting for it...   :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mj

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:32:54 pm »
 :) That's great!  :)  I will play with P4 on my Samsung N130 to get acquainted with it and keep my eye open for P5. 

Will P5 be a 5 yearer? 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:29:40 pm »
Let's be clear about this .. Peppermint 5 will not "technically" be an LTS

The Peppermint specific stuff will only receive updates for 1 year (until Peppermint 6), but as 99% of Peppermint comes directly from the Ubuntu repositories, it can pretty much be treated as an LTS.

The stuff that's in the Peppermint specific repository is generally Peppermint settings, artwork, the Ice application,  a few other odds and sods that make Peppermint different, and bug fixes  for the odd package that needs tweaking at the beginning of the release to fit with Peppermint changes.

By the end of the year, everything in the Peppermint specific repo is usually very stable, so would be unlikely to need updating anyway.

So although 99% of Peppermint 5 will receive updates in line with the Ubuntu base .. it can't "technically" be called an LTS.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mj

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:39:27 pm »
Sounds good to me.  Thank you.