Choose style:

Author Topic: Kernel 4.3 and ext3  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Kernel 4.3 and ext3
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:14:44 am »
Hi boys and girls,

I have noticed that the newly released Kernel 4.3 no longer supports the ext3 file system. However, I also have read that those who have a partition or two formatted with the ext3 file system should not be worried as ext3 is a subset of the ext4 file system, and therefore the "pain shouldn't be acute" (as Mr. Chirgwin wrote in this article in The Register). Does he mean that although no acute pain will occur, chronic pain could still be expected??  :'(

Having a notoriously low threshold for pain, I am wondering what all of this exactly means. Perhaps that if someone with an ext3 partition installs the 4.3 kernel they can carry on as usual? If that were true then there would not only be no acute pain, there would also be no chronic pain either.

Or perhaps one would only need to change the fstab file entry from type ext3 to type ext4 and everything would be hunky dory ...  8)

Whatever, if someone out there knows what the answer is (in terms more explicit than Mr. Chirgwin used), I would be very pleased to hear it.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Kernel 4.3 and ext3
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:08 am »
You can quite easily convert ext3 file systems to ext4 .. and quite why anyone would still be using ext3 is beyond me, I see no point to it.

That said ext3 is also a subset of ext4 .. so the ext4 driver can be used for it without the need for a separate 'driver'.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:33:03 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:04:28 am »
You can quite easily convert ext3 file systems to ext4 .. and quite why anyone would still be using ext3 is beyond me, I see no point to it.

That said ext3 is also a subset of ext4 .. so the ext4 driver can be used for it without the need for a separate 'driver'.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt

Hi PCNetSpec,

Thanks for the info!! On my oldest computer that is running Peppermint Six I have my old DATA partition with all of my personal files from a hundred years ago ( :-X ) and it is using the ext3 file system. I have been too lazy to reformat it to ext4 and was just wondering about ext3 being "dead" as of kernel 4.3.

Although it looks like I don't really need to do anything, I guess that it is actually best (in terms of performance, etc.) to reformat the partition to ext4. I guess I'll use these instructions from the ext.wiki.kernel.org pages.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:31:15 am »

I was thinking the same thing.  EXT3 is being dropped because it's obsolete.  Join the EXT4 side.  It's not the Dark Side.  ;)