Choose style:

Author Topic: Are Docky and Cairo-Dock Considered Resource Hogs? (SOLVED)  (Read 14152 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello my fellow Pepperminters,

Since I intend to be installing Peppermint 5 on two old XP desktop computers when Peppermint 5 is released,  I was wondering if, in fact, Docky or Cairo-Dock are really resource hogs?

Both of these docks are so handy, and they really do help make the use of the computer a breeze.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:40:58 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Are Docky and Cairo-Dock Considered Resource Hogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:08:10 am »
In my opinion Cairo-Dock is resource hungry .. I wouldn't use it on a limited system.

Docky not so much.

Plank even less so.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:15:05 am »
Hello  PCNetSpec,

Plank?  Never heard of it before today.

I will look in the software center for this.

This is good information.

Thank you,

perknh

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:00:57 am by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:20 am »
PCNeetSpec,

I looked in Lubuntu's software center.  I could not find Plank.

Is this a Mint repository item?

I've now read that Plank is the underlying architecture for Docky.  I like Docky very much, but it does a its own disappearing act every now and then, and it also lacks an important log off button icon.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:06:22 am »
You have to add a PPA.

BUT

Currently the PPA doesn't contain a version for "raring" (so therefore Peppermint 4), so you're not "eassily" going to get it to work in Peppermint 4.

Should be easy when Peppermint 5 comes out though.

if you REALLY want to try it in Peppermint 4 .. see here:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,263.msg1882.html#msg1882
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:54:26 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

You were giving instructions about Peppermint 4, and that's what I was working with until last night.  But late last night I installed Lubuntu 14.04 to give it a look-see, and a spin.  This is why, I'm sure, your instructions did not work for me this time around.

I found this to install Plank however:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/docky

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install plank

Well, it worked, but now I can't rid of the shadowing.  I've tried the first Compiz from Lubuntu's Software Center, and that did not help.  I also did:

sudo apt-get install xcompmgr

gksudo leafpad ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu /autostart
add line

@xcompmgr -c

But that did not get rid of the shadowing either.  I'm stumped,  but this is Lubuntu's 14.04, which for the most part, I believe, will be on which Peppermint 5 is to be based.

Anyway, I've had no luck getting rid of the shadows, but I do have Plank installed right now, and it's pretty cool.  It seems to be a very lightweight version of Docky.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »
Yes those instructions (first 3 commands) will be exactly what you'll need to do in Peppermint 5 .. the "shadowing" shouldn't be a problem in Peppermint 5, as unlike Lubuntu we have a compositor out of the box  ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:06:01 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I've tried compositing on my own, but no luck.  I went to Lubuntu which sent me to Ubuntu One.  What a nightmare.  I started an account and then canceled it within 15 minutes.  The must be over a million posts -- way too many for me to explore.

I want Peppermint to grow, but I hope it will never becomes like an Ubuntu forum.

What a shocker -- really.  And, believe it or not, there was even a "jail" for people who had posted the wrong kinds of posts  -- a jail!  What's next, flogging?   No thanks.

As for compositing, I've tried Metacity, and Compitz.  I've got one more trick -- installing xcompmgr --which I thought I already did.  Let me see how I do on my own first.  I'm on the edge of getting this.  Don't worry, you always say if I need help just ask, and I will.

I going to  try:

sudo apt-get install xcompmgr

gksudo leafpad ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart

add line

@xcompmgr -c   

But what I saw tonight at the Ubuntu forum shocked me.  In my opinion, their forum is hurting Ubuntu, and its derivatives, from getting ordinary people to try Linux.    :'(

Thank you,

perknh

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:25:34 am »
Well PCNetSpec, this is what I did, and these are the results:

I changed @xcompmgr -c  to  @xcompmgr -F, in order to promote fading of the shadows -- so I thought. 

So what happened?  I got the black screen of death.  Still Alt+ SysRq   reisuo did turn off the computer, but the screen went black.

I just reformatted  my flash drive that had Lubuntu 14.04 on it, and, tomorrow morning, I'm going to try re-installing Peppermint 4.  If my external hard drive is not dead, it will have Peppermint 4 on it again tomorrow.

Still I'm curious if you speculate on what I did wrong?  I would think compositing should not be so difficult.

Tomorrow I'll try adding Plank to Peppermint 4, or would I be wiser going with Docky or even Cairo-Dock for now?

Might you have a compositing resource link nearby I could read by chance?   Compositing has been much more difficult for me than I would have imagined.

And if I was too hard on the Ubuntu forum, please tell me so.  I'll be happy to remove my opinions.  I was just very startled with what I saw there tonight, especially when I know that Ubuntu One, within which I had to register, is soon to be no more.  And I could not believe that Ubuntu forum has a jail.  That's not very cool.   I know this is the general discussion area of Peppermint, but I will be glad to edit or remove my comments if I'm saying something that is uniformed, naive, or taboo.  Still I had never seen such harshness within Linux before.  Maybe Ubuntu is so big now that it is being trolled.  This I do not know, but I certainly hope not.  But, if it is being trolled, this would be another good reason for the Ubuntuites  to come over to, and stay with, Peppermint.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 05:11:45 am »
I also think the Ubuntu forum can be a bit much. Though it's a VERY handy resource if you know what to look for, it is full of useless and even harmful "advice" as well as the gems .. I'm afraid that's (as you say) symptomatic of becoming too large,. if you cater to the masses don't be surprised when they turn up and get out of hand.

Anyway .. xcompmngr has AFAIK not been in development for some time now, but luckily someone forked it and fixed most (if not all) the bugs .. I give you (drum roll) Compton :)

Instructions for adding compton in Peppermint can be found here:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=10662.msg80989#msg80989
Obviously if you're using something other than Peppermint you'll have to adjust the path to the /etc/xdg/..../autostart file.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:16:41 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »
First of all, thank you very much PCNetSpec,

That was a tough night for me last night. I did not win that battle over the Plank shadows in Lubuntu, but I could feel I was so close to doing so.  Needless to say, I'm back here on home turf with Peppermint.  Also, I followed your instructions,  and I now have Plank sitting comfortably, without shadows, on my home screen within Peppermint 4.

Also thank you for helping me to muster up the courage to give the Ubuntu forum another try.  They accepted me back again without floggings or jail time  And unlike the nutty rules of Google, I even got to keep my password!  Also thank you for the link which will become a welcomed homework assignment for me.  I love learning all I can here.

Lastly, and you'll enjoy this, my wife looked at Plank and said, something to the effect, "Finally, no nonsense!"  Obviously she likes it too. 

So this is a direct thank you from both of us on giving us Plank.  Plank is so simple, and it makes so much sense   Why others are not talking about it, and why it can not be found in the repositories, I do not understand.

There is beauty in simplicity, and Plank is both beautiful and simple.

Thank you, PCNetSpec.

perknh, and his wife, ecuaperk

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:44:24 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 07:19:25 am »
It's light, but does have its down sides, such as configuration needs to be manually applied through a config file
(such as if you want the dock on the side of the screen, etc.)

and getting rid of the "plank" dock item isn't easy unless you know how.

There's no GUI configuration .. but hey, that's part of what makes it so light :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:50:32 am »
Yes, but I think overall it's a winner.  I know we really like it.   :)

But I do have a question for you.

Would  you know, PCNetSpec, if there is a line of I code I could add within the terminal to make Plank appear after continual, or daily, log offs or shut downs?

Right now, after a log off, a reboot, or a shut down, I need to go into the menu to reinitiate Plank again after every reboot.  I would think there must be some trick to give Plank persistence over frequent log offs or reboots -- or it that one of Plank's downsides too?  I think I got Plank to persist in Lubuntu -- but then I could never get rid of those pesky shadows hovering above Plank there.  Here, in Peppermint 4, there are no shadows, but I do no longer have persistence.

What I know to be true is, if it ain't one thing, it's another!

(My solution has been to put Plank's icon onto the desktop  so I don't have to dig deep within the menu in order to reinitiate Plank every day.)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:52:05 am by perknh »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 10:03:33 am »
Hi perknh,
In pcmanfm (File Manager) go to /usr/share/applications, find the Plank icon, right-click the icon and choose copy.  Navigate to /home/yourname/.config and open the autostart folder.  Find a blank space, right-click and choose paste.

Reboot to see if Plank will start up for you.

NOTE: You'll have to invoke View > Show Hidden to display the .config folder (or you can Ctrl + H in pcmanfm)
NOTE-2: "yourname" (/home/yourname/.config) is, of course your user name (just making sure)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:51:35 am by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 03:01:41 pm »
Mac,

I can't find an autostart folder within  /home/yourname/.config.

This is Peppermint 4.  Might the folder we are looking for go by another name?

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:03:32 pm by perknh »