Choose style:

Author Topic: Fun lighthearted desktop  (Read 2407 times)

Offline miker107

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Fun lighthearted desktop
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:47 am »
Good morning all, brand new user of Peppermint 6 for a couple of days now. Loving this distro. Here is my attempt at a fun light hearted desktop inspired after watching the kids play cut the rope. I thought how this little guy "om nom" just fits the peppermint theme perfectly. I don't know if anyone else has ever thought of this but thought it was cute.

I'm using the Numix circle light icon set: http://www.noobslab.com/2014/04/install-numix-icon-packs-in-ubuntulinux.html
The wallpaper is from deviantart.net: http://orig08.deviantart.net/40f7/f/2012/315/9/7/om_nom_by_keeler-d5knvk7.png

I installed plank for docking my quick launch icons.
I have also change the color of the panel to red and adjusted the opacity to 140.

For theming I'm just using the peppermint-light theme throughout, including window boarders. I tried the peppermix-dark and it looks nice as well along with the Numix Circle icons.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:07:20 pm by miker107 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Fun lighthearted desktop
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:09:38 pm »
Hi miker107, and welcome to the forum .. thanks for the kind words about Peppermint, and we're happy to hear you're enjoying it

Great looking fun desktop .. I love it :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline miker107

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 01:38:25 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. I've been dabbling in linux for about a year now, distro hopping between the likes of mint, manjaro, fedora, and even arch, but I think I found a keeper in Peppermint. In fact I was in the process of attempting a fresh arch install on actual hardware for the first time and ran into network problems. Then I remembered how much I liked peppermint when I tested it in virtualbox a few months ago, decided to install it on an old windows 7 machine that was given to me recently, and I'm very happy with this distro. Great job to the team that put this little gem together. Love the Ice app.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »
Cute !

Looks very similar to the way I setup Gnome-Shell -- Numix Circle, Plank, et cetera.

Welcome aboard, miker107 !!!   :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:19:00 am »
Hi miker107, welcome to Planet Peppermint.  I hope you're enjoying our world  :).  Cute desktop - it gave me a good chuckle  ;D!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:24:25 am »
Great wallpaper.  It's both fun and cute.  The setup definitely has a Unity/Gnome Shell look to it, but at nowhere near the weight.  :D

Offline miker107

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 09:40:22 am »
Thanks for the welcome folks.

I've been distro hopping for about a year trying all different styles and flavors, but I just can't get used to gnome for some reason. I do like the dock on the side like the gnome desktop, but love the simplicity of LXDE or XFCE. I have mint XFCE on an old Gateway laptop, and I have arch (cinnamon), and manjaro (XFCE) installed in virtualbox on one of my windows 10 machines. However, since I've installed peppermint I seldom touch those other machines. customization is fun as well.