Choose style:

Author Topic: And people say Windows is "easier"  (Read 4993 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
And people say Windows is "easier"
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:50:37 am »
And people say Windows is "easier"  ::)

What a difference, concerning ease of use, between Peppermint (or any of the --buntus for that matter) and Windows OS.

I'll try not to ramble or rant here, because I could go on and on with this.  So, in no particular order, and using Peppermint as an example, I'd like to begin here with a few observations I've made between having used Peppermint for a few years after having used Windows for several years before discovering Linux --especially Peppermint in particular.

Peppermint is fast and easy to install.  In the time it would take one to start one's day in the morning (bathe, clothe, and eat, you can install and update Peppermint.  Windows is not fast and easy to install.  In the time it takes to one to drive from Boston to Washington, D.C., you MAY be able to install and update Windows without a hitch --MAYBE!

Peppermint is easy to update.  There a fewer updates within Peppermint than Windows, and security updates can be downloaded and installed automatically.  Windows can take all day to update, and that's if you're lucky.  I've had to sleep next to a Windows computer before in order to update Vista throughout an evening and an entire night.

Peppermint does not requite an antivirus program which must be kept updated, and set for system scans.  Windows does require this --and this can be stressful, very time-consuming, and still leaving you without a good sense of security and protection.

Peppermint does not require CCleaner if you do not want your OS to get bogged down within weeks after installation.  Windows does need some such apparatus if you desire to keep humming along at a decent clip.

Peppermint has no registry that can be a source of all sorts of difficulties.  Windows does.

Peppermint can be easily customized to to suit personal preferences.  The panel can be re-sized and moved.  And although you can re-size the panel in Windows, you can't move it.  It is much easier to work on a computer that is customized to fit your predilections and needs. Never mind all the DEs that are available from a plethora of other Linux distributions.  Windows offers none of this.

When you need to install a program in Peppermint, you go right to the Software Center, or Synaptic, and you download and install it.  What's more, you know it's secure!  With Windows, you can go to the store, and hope that you're choosing wisely.

Peppermint is yours.  Windows is leased.  When you have a problem with your Linux OS you can easily come to this support forum and actually get help from people you can trust.  Since Windows is NEVER yours, when you have a problem with Windows you have several different options --none of which are easy to deal with --perhaps beginning a phone call that may eventually require you typing in long batches of letters and numbers to prove you are the legitimate lessee of the software your are using.  Sound easy?  Try it sometime. >:(

Etc... ad infinitum...And, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface here comparing the ease of use between Linux (Peppermint, in particular) and Windows.

Point being, the people who say that Windows is easier to use than Linux really do not have a clue about what they are talking about.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: And people say Windows is "easier"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:32:34 am »
Yep, all excellent points.  As I said in the thread where PCNetSpec posted that, Windows is only "easy" when it comes preinstalled on a computer.  That's because the OEM has done all of the install, driver install and whatnot that get the computer into a working order.  Though, on the flip side, they tend to crap it up with bloatware when they install.  Plus, you still are responsible for handling updates and drivers for any hardware you add.

Here's couple other points in favor of Peppermint:

Peppermint's file system doesn't fragment.  Windows' NTFS and FAT file systems put files right next to each other so that, when you save the file again and it's larger, the "extra" bit is put at the end, past the other files.  These are file fragments and they're not good.  The ironic thing is that Microsoft created this system so that the files can be accessed faster, but it's a double edged sword.  Files that become too fragmented can take longer to access, slowing the system down, or no longer be accessible.  If you have system files that are no longer accessible, you will run into massive issues and have to reinstall Windows.  So, you have to defragment every so often to prevent major issues, but they still crop up anyway over time because even defragmentation isn't a 100% stop measure.  Peppermint's EXT (and other) Linux/BSD file systems don't fragment because they spread the files out along the disk space.  They're not right against each other, leaving room for expansion and not causing fragmentation.  So, Peppermint never has to be defragmented.

Windows has to be restarted so dang often.  Installing the system has several reboots in it.  Install updates, reboot.  Install certain software, reboot.  The first step suggested in many Windows fixes is a reboot.  Peppermint, meanwhile, hardly ever has to reboot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:34:30 am by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:56:16 am »
Excellent point, scifidude79 --and with an excellent explanation.  Hasta la vista, disk defragmentation.  I don't miss it!
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:54:45 am »
Hasta la vista, disk defragmentation.  I don't miss it!

I'd imagine nobody misses it.  ;)

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:27:13 am »
Hasta la vista, disk defragmentation.  I don't miss it!

I'd imagine nobody misses it.  ;)
allready 7 years disk defragmentation free :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:07:33 pm »
Yep, windows is easier  ::) :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »
Yep, windows is easier  ::) :-\

For installing games and a few apps :P

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 12:39:06 am »

Depends on what you mean by "installing games."  I think finding the games in the repositories and installing them via Synaptic, a terminal or even the Software Manager infinitely easier than installing games using CDs/DVDs in Windows.  It takes less time too.  And, don't even get me started on the Windows store they introduced for Windows 8.  Ugh, that's so horrid.

Otherwise, you have Steam, which is no easier or harder to use in either OS though, again, you can install the Steam app itself by simply using a terminal, Synaptic or the Software manager and download and install it in one fell swoop.  That's as opposed to opening your browser, going to Steam's website, downloading the app, going to the download location, clicking on the .exe file and installing it.  Way too many steps in that process.  Games sold on other sites that are Linux compatible are no easier or harder to run than a .exe file, in my opinion.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »
That's as opposed to opening your browser, going to Steam's website, downloading the app, going to the download location, clicking on the .exe file and installing it.  Way too many steps in that process.  Games sold on other sites that are Linux compatible are no easier or harder to run than a .exe file, in my opinion.
5 steps as opposed to opening synaptic, inputting your password, searching for whatever, right clicking what you find, then ticking the install box and then clicking apply... err that's 6 steps!!  How many steps is too many?  and yes I know you can use terminal and install it with one line.
As for windows you sometimes get the option to run instead of dl and then why navigate to your download location when you can run the file from the browser status notification bar. So that makes the windows way now 4 steps... How many steps is too many?

I get it...  you don't like windows... but if you are going to have a pop at windows - please do so with an example that is not so easy to put holes in  :P
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 12:21:06 pm »
Ok shall we add that the Windows game may require something like updated graphics drivers or possibly .net installing/updating requiring a dozen reboots, and possibly allowing through your firewall, or for Win10 access to your contacts and location (even when it doesn't really need them for the gameplay).

I don't think scifidude was saying Linux is necessarily "easier", just that Windows shouldn't be considered "easier" either (even for gaming) .. that's purely a misconception proffered by people that have used Windows for YEARS and have spent 10 minutes with Linux.

When I first came to Linux sure I found it harder .. now I've used it more than Windows I find Linux easier .. if I used them both the same amount who knows, but i do find Linux more logically laid out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:28:58 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "installing games."  I think finding the games in the repositories and installing them via Synaptic, a terminal or even the Software Manager infinitely easier than installing games using CDs/DVDs in Windows.  It takes less time too.  And, don't even get me started on the Windows store they introduced for Windows 8.  Ugh, that's so horrid.

Otherwise, you have Steam, which is no easier or harder to use in either OS though, again, you can install the Steam app itself by simply using a terminal, Synaptic or the Software manager and download and install it in one fell swoop.  That's as opposed to opening your browser, going to Steam's website, downloading the app, going to the download location, clicking on the .exe file and installing it.  Way too many steps in that process.  Games sold on other sites that are Linux compatible are no easier or harder to run than a .exe file, in my opinion.

Windows user:

1. Get Windows pre-installed on PC/Laptop
2. Buy/download game.
3. install "setup.exe"
4. play

Linux user:

1. buy a PC/Laptop
2. Install a Linux Distro of choice
3. Update the system
4. download and Install game from repository or download steam
5. play

However we have to consider the fact that an user who has used windows all his/her life will have a little bit of trouble using a Linux Distro at first. But the reverse is not usually true. Most full time Linux users have had used Windows before and hence, they are already familiar with it. So installing games and a few apps (the ones that come in paid DVDs)  is easier for an average computer user. Because they just want things to be simple and usual. (speaking of which, they also need to turn their Antivirus alerts off for a while or those crappy notification pop-ups which disturb the gameplay).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:09:35 pm by sk_sarmapmx »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »
You missed out "update the system" for Windows .. let me fix that for you

Windows user:

1. Get Windows pre-installed on PC/Laptop
2. Turn it on and fill in your credentials
3. if >= Win8 figure out how to create a microsoft  account before it'll let you log on
4. log on
5. Update the system
6. Reboot
7. Find that there's still more updates
8. Install them
9. Reboot
10. Find that there's STILL more updates
11. Install them
12. Reboot
13. Find that there's STILL more updates
14. Install them
15. Reboot
16. Buy/download game.
17. install "setup.exe"
18. discover the game install throws an error message that you need .net installing
19. go get .net
20. install .net
21. Reboot
22. Notice that there's suddenly more updates
23. Install them
24. Reboot
25. go to bed because it's now too late to play the damn game
26. wake up and play the game

[EDIT]

Oh and I forgot to add -
After creating your microsoft account, wait for Microsoft to phone/text/email you a confirmation code and enter it
and
go buy antivirus software
install it
Reboot
Update AV definitions .. which pulls in an updated version of the AV software
Re-Fekin-Boot

[EDIT 2]

I also forgot -

Discover in the middle of an interesting part of the game that the PC suddenly reboots and looses your progress because Windows downloaded yet another update in the background and you didn't see the "This computer will automatically reboot in 15 minutes .. Reboot now / Cancel" messege. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:22:29 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »
Yawn...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 03:44:32 pm »
LOL ..

Tired ? .. go to bed my friend, you can always play that Windows game in the morning ;)

[EDIT]

For clarity I'm not *really* a Windows hater (I no longer use it so why hate it) .. I reserve that special distain for Microsoft (and Apple) as a company, and OS X as an OS

Linux main problem is getting pre-installed, so (2) is a BIG problem for Linux "ease of use" .. but you can't argue with the points I brought up above, and if you bought a Windows preinstalled and Linux preinstalled system and you understood them both, you'd HIGHLY  likely be playing the game sooner in Linux.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:57:14 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »
I honestly don't think any one system is easier to use than the other it's more about familiarity and the comfort that comes from knowing you're doing the same thing as everyone else, yet not doing what everybody else is doing is one of the biggest attractions of Linux for me and I have a feeling I'm not unique in that on this forum because it's things like that that bring like minded people together,but we are the minority and I'm ok with that, 

I never moved away from Windows because I was fed up of viruses, malware/spyware slow up, crashes losing data through Windows, update BSOD's or any other of the maladies that plague MS Windows, I was bored with it and When I first decided to try Linux I thought I was just trying a different operating system but soon learned differently, moving to Linux introduced me to the concept of free software and what it really means, Linux has actually changed the way I think and how I look at the world

We can go on bashing Windows till the end of time and it will make no difference to those who simply don't like change,dont care or just can't be bothered to think for themselves.

I've introduced various friends and family to Linux and everyone has adapted without any problems at all but the one area I find there's a problem is installing software, somehow they just don't get package management, to me this is crazy because the package manager is probably the biggest advantage Linux has over Windows in terms of ease of use, personally I think it's because it's just too radically different from how it's done in Windows regardless of how easy it is,

How many of us have switched someone over to Linux only to find Windows .exe files in their Downloads folder,

Graeme
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:15:14 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation