Choose style:

Author Topic: USB-drive not seen in GParted and not able to format  (Read 8727 times)

Offline EdgarTorres

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: USB-drive not seen in GParted and not able to format
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 04:58:34 am »
Tough works,  ;)

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 07:49:22 am »
Tough works,  ;)

Hi EdgarTorres,

What do you mean by that?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:19 am »
Tough works,  ;)

Hi EdgarTorres,

What do you mean by that?
It looks like a lost in translation moment.  Tough luck or bad luck  ;D.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Midas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »

Hi....

Just a last minute suggestion: if your pendrive problem still lingers, and you want to establish beyond doubt that it absolutely works (and you can have a go at it from a Windows system) you should Google for the single executable freeware utility called Bootice and use it to examine your USB drive.

(You will find trustworthy download links at portablefreeware.com, for instance)

For a summary explanation, Bootice lets you format pendrives using at least 5 different schemes, it lets you change partition identifiers, and much more. You can't get much more low-level than that...

Tapatalked from my V500
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:39:40 pm by Midas »

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 02:29:16 pm »

Hi....

Just a last minute suggestion: if your pendrive problem still lingers, and you want to establish beyond doubt that it absolutely works (and you can have a go at it from a Windows system) you should Google for the single executable freeware utility called Bootice and use it to examine your USB drive.

(You will find trustworthy download links at portablefreeware.com, for instance)

For a summary explanation, Bootice lets you format pendrives using at least 5 different schemes, it lets you change partition identifiers, and much more. You can't get much more low-level than that...

Tapatalked from my V500

Hi Midas,

Thanks for helping!

In Windows the USB-drive is only recognized as in Drives: it is only an empty vessel, "without a disk", so it says. It is "Removable disk E:" in Windows, but asks for inserting a disk when double clicking on the icon.

I tried to approach it with Bootice, but there it is not seen at all! Nevertheless I tried the command line option, but it didn't help.

Anyway, thanks for sharing: in that way I was able to make another attempt to revive the USB-thumb drive, but unfortunately without success.

So I invite anyone who has any idea to do the same as Midas: share what you think might lead to a solution! :o

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): I've used 4,5,6,7,8,9
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 02:54:04 pm »
It looks like you have access to a Windows Machine. In Windows 7,8 and now 10 they have a command line function called diskpart. It might be available back as far as XP..
You may want to try the diskpart from the command line. It might be worth a try. You can find instructions on this Seagate Website.                                                  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en?language=en_US
Here is a site that goes through a step by step approach to trouble shooting a flash with Windows.                            http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/troubleshoot-windows-wont-recognize-usb-hard-drive-fix-unassigned-drive-letter.122125/
It may well be that you have a spent flashdrive. The manufacturer Alcor Micro has a website.                                       http://www.alcormicro.com/en_content/d_contact/contact.html
You may have to contact them for advice and see if they will stand behind their product. I had this trouble with a brand new flashdrive from Adata. They had a tool to check a drive and but it back to factory state. If it passed it was good and if not a RMA was in order. Maybe Alcor has something similar.
Good luck.
BTW. I understand the desire to get that sucker to work but for all the time you have spent on this you could buy an new USB 2.0, 8GB for a couple of bucks.
A little knowledge is dangerous, I'm proof of it.

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »
It looks like you have access to a Windows Machine. In Windows 7,8 and now 10 they have a command line function called diskpart. It might be available back as far as XP..
You may want to try the diskpart from the command line. It might be worth a try. You can find instructions on this Seagate Website.                                                  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en?language=en_US
Here is a site that goes through a step by step approach to trouble shooting a flash with Windows.                            http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/troubleshoot-windows-wont-recognize-usb-hard-drive-fix-unassigned-drive-letter.122125/
It may well be that you have a spent flashdrive. The manufacturer Alcor Micro has a website.                                       http://www.alcormicro.com/en_content/d_contact/contact.html
You may have to contact them for advice and see if they will stand behind their product. I had this trouble with a brand new flashdrive from Adata. They had a tool to check a drive and but it back to factory state. If it passed it was good and if not a RMA was in order. Maybe Alcor has something similar.
Good luck.
BTW. I understand the desire to get that sucker to work but for all the time you have spent on this you could buy an new USB 2.0, 8GB for a couple of bucks.

Hi Ralph,
Thanks for trying to help, but I already tried that and it didn't help. But again: thank you for sharing your idea! ;)

paulus