Choose style:

Author Topic: BROFORCE  (Read 2380 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
BROFORCE
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:21:56 am »
Oh, how I have waited for this game to get a Linux release and it finally did.  I'm talking about Broforce, a wonderful, violent side scrolling shooter with pixel graphics, available on Steam.  If you were around in the '80s and/or you love '80s and '90s action movies and TV shows, this is the game for you.  It's got most of the major action stars represented in it.  Rambo, McGuyver, Mr. T's character from the A-Team, Bruce Willis from Die Hard, Blade and many more.  (though, everybody's name has "Bro" in it :)) )  It's both an homage to '80s video games and  '80s and '90s action movies and TV.  Plus, it's ultraviolent (pixelated blood, so it's not that realistic) and has other fun features like destructible scenery.  Though, that last one can be a pill sometimes as you can blow away scenery that you may need to access something. Anywho, check out their site:

http://www.broforcegame.com/

I knew I wanted this game, I was just waiting for the Linux release.  Back when I was still running Windows, I played a freeware version called The Expendabros, which was based on the characters from The Expendables.  It was fantastic, so I knew I had to get the full game, but I don't buy Windows games, so I waited.  Anyway, yesterday, I found out it was available for Linux, so I waited again, this time for my paycheck to be deposited to my account.  It hit over night, so I just purchased Broforce, downloaded it and played a bit.  Unfortunately, I'm about to go to work in a bit, so I couldn't play long, but I'm diving into that Campaign tonight.  I just played a quick Arcade game to make sure it runs good in Peppermint and it was fantastic.  Full controller support, by the way. (in my opinion, essential to this type of game)

Anywho, here's a screenie:

(click image to enlarge)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:24:22 am by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: BROFORCE
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:14:10 pm »
It looks cool. This game brings  mixed feelings of excitement and nostalgia :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:06:37 am »
Yeah, pretty much.  Plus, it's fun as hell to play.  Though, the Campaign is currently buggy (crashing issues) and there are a few minor issues with the controller sometimes when I first launch the game.  So, I've just been playing in Arcade mode and using the keyboard to start a game and everything is fine with all of that.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:37:06 am »
I hope the crashing issue gets fixed soon. the campaign should have a good storyline

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 12:46:10 am »
I don't know how much story it actually has.  Arcade Mode works great, though.  I unlocked Brobocop and Indianna Brones as playable characters earlier.  The names should tell you who those are.  ;)  I love this game.  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 01:04:00 am »
Well, they released an update today that seems to have fixed the campaign crashing issue.  No, the game doesn't really have a story to it.  The only thing you can do on the campaign is go to different parts of the world to do different sets of levels.  Plus, you get a brief explanation of the issue, but not much.  But, it's still an awesome game.  :D

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
That's pretty cool! :) I have steam installed on my machine but it's prompting me to download something and I'm almost out of my data for this month. so I'm gonna have to wait until November or later until I get my hands on this game :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:14 am »
I sure am glad they fixed Campaign mode.  You don't want to miss a single line of these highly informative mission briefings:

Offline s4w3d0ff

• Spray and Pray
    • View Profile
    • Github
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7even 64bit UEFI
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 01:23:25 am »
Oh that is too good...  :D
Linuxize IT!
BTC: 15D8VaZco22GTLVrFMAehXyif6EGf8GMYV