Author Topic: Maverick Meerkat  (Read 1929 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Maverick Meerkat
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »
Why can't, or why won't, the GNOME branch of Ubuntu create an updated version of Maverick Meerkat?  Any guesses?  From everything I've read, Maverick Meerkat was Ubuntu's masterpiece of all time.  What's missing from Maverick Meerkat --other than an updated kernel-- that couldn't be duplicated, or updated, for today's marketplace?

I'm sorry I never had the Maverick Meerkat desktop experience.  I really do believe I missed something that Ubuntu once had that was very special.

[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Maverick Meerkat
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
There's a bunch of reasons

Gnome considered the Gnome 2.x desktop code far too tangled to keep maintaining/updating (patches on top of patches on top of patches) so opted for a complete rewrite and at the same time impliment a change of direction they'd already planned.

There's NO WAY they could maintain both versions on their own so they dropped the old code.

Luckily it was picked up and forked as MATE .. but there's no way Gnome will go back to that code, it's too limited, if they chose they could do the same desktop UI on top of the G3 code (and they kind of are .. it's getting easier to make G3 emulate G2.x but without the limitations and tangled code base)

Maverick WAS the pinnacle of Ubuntu .. but if you've tried Ubuntu MATE, you've pretty much already tried Maverick with an updated kernel ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:25:01 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 10:40:57 pm »
Which one was Maverick Meerkat?  I can't keep up with Ubuntu's code names.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 11:42:18 pm »
Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverick Meerkat - Tech / Rel - October 10, 2010 - April 10, 2012

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:46:03 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 12:51:27 am »
There's a bunch of reasons

Gnome considered the Gnome 2.x desktop code far too tangled to keep maintaining/updating (patches on top of patches on top of patches) so opted for a complete rewrite and at the same time impliment a change of direction they'd already planned.

There's NO WAY they could maintain both versions on their own so they dropped the old code.

Luckily it was picked up and forked as MATE .. but there's no way Gnome will go back to that code, it's too limited, if they chose they could do the same desktop UI on top of the G3 code (and they kind of are .. it's getting easier to make G3 emulate G2.x but without the limitations and tangled code base)

Maverick WAS the pinnacle of Ubuntu .. but if you've tried Ubuntu MATE, you've pretty much already tried Maverick with an updated kernel ;)

Thank you, PCNetSpec.

I've have tried and I do like Ubuntu MATE, but I don't get more from it than what I find right here in Peppermint.  In fact, I prefer Peppermint's menu to MATE's menu.  MATE's menu consists of three categories --Applications, Places, and System.  But, for whatever reason, I seem to find whatever I'm looking for much more easily in our menu than than in MATE's.*

Still, I'm sorry I missed the Maverick Meerkat experience.  I'm certain I'd understand Linux better if I had started my computing earlier with it.  I'm happy these days going back and forth between our style of LXDE and some other Debian-based, or Ubuntu-based, Xfce distribution.  And, I'm also awaiting the day when Ubuntu will "see the light" with its Unity UI.  But that day has not arrived yet --not even with Wily Werewolf 15.10.

Even with all the complaints concerning Trusty Tahr's (14.04) and Vivid Vervet's (15.04) Unity UI,  Ubuntu's Wily Werewolf still continues to gather your search information (unless you know how to opt-out), and it still includes Amazon as an installed program.  With Ubuntu's Unity UI, I can't help but think of a line from Peter, Paul, and Mary's song Where have all the flowers gone? --the line that asks, "When will they ever learn?"  I wonder when Ubuntu will ever learn to listen to its users.

*My all-time favorite menu style is Xfce's Whisker menu.  There you can put whatever programs you use the most in a Favorites category --which is the way I use our Application Launch Bar in Peppermint.   Also with Xfce's Whisker menu you get a search box to help you find wherever program you may be looking for, as well as a category called All which lists all of your programs in alphabetic order.  Xfce's Whisker menu is the cleverest menu style I've ever seen.  It's almost impossible not to find what you are looking for with a Whisker menu!
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:26:25 am »
Maverick was the first Linux distribution I ever tried & used I installed it alongside Windows XP and soon made the decision that Ubuntu was the way I wanted to go, everything worked out of the box and soon found myself booting into it in preference to XP more & more as I gradually found alternative programs to replace existing programs I was using in Windows, I never found it difficult to use and enjoyed the challenge of learning how it worked, it was different but that's all

Then I was offered a live update to the new version which I ran and it broke everything including my faith in Linux anyway I wiped it and reinstalled the latest version which was the first with the Unity desktop and although it worked ok I hated it in fact I hated it so much I almost wiped it altogether and went back to Windows, it was about then I discovered alternative distros and in particular Linux Mint , which restored my faith in Linux and rescued me from the evil grip of Microsoft, since then I've moved on to Peppermint and never looked back

Yet in spite of the above I sometimes feel the bashing Cannonical gets for the Unity desktop is a bit unfair it seems to me Unity was neccessary for Cannonicals vision of convergence across different platforms ie would Gnome 2 or 3 run on a tablet, smartphone, TV, so it seems to me that a one size fits all desktop was essential to their vision and in all fairness with Unity I don't think they've done a bad job, far better than Microsoft did with Metro (or whatever they call it now)

Graeme
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:10:46 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 04:02:51 am »
I'd agree with you if I thought "convergence" was a good idea, but I don't.

Canonical took a great PC desktop and screwed it up in the same way as Metro and Gnome 3 chasing a vision that'll never work .. Microsoft have realised it's NOT what people want quicker than Canonical, even Gnome have been back peddling with Gnome 3 (shell) making it much easier to "de-touchscreen" it .. Canonical on the other hand continues it's march down that same unpopular road, completely ignoring all the signs including the people that helped make them great.

The world has gone insane when Microsoft listens and reacts to its user base faster that a supposed "open" source project.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:04:22 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 06:22:53 am »
Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverick Meerkat - Tech / Rel - October 10, 2010 - April 10, 2012

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Ah, thank you.  I was wasted last night (from working, not alcohol ;) ) and too damn tired to look anything up.  Yeah, Ubuntu 10.10 was a good release.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 07:26:00 am »
The world has gone insane when Microsoft listens and reacts to its user base faster that a supposed "open" source project.

PCNetSpec, congratulations!  You just invented a new definition for insanity!!!!  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 11:25:01 am »
:) 8) :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec