Choose style:

Author Topic: Retro gaming on Peppermint  (Read 5997 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Retro gaming on Peppermint
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:39:15 am »
Hello gamers! So just wanted to share a list of games that I have installed on Peppermint so far. Most of them are either from Ubuntu repositories or emulated games.

To play some famous GBA and Nintendo 64 games, I have installed emulators "Visual boy advance" and "mupen64plus" both of which are easily available on Synaptic and Software center. ROMs can be downloaded from numerous sites (you can search on google). I have been playing "Mortal Kombat 4" since this afternoon and this game brings back a lot of memories. :)  ::)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Retro gaming on Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:14:23 am »
Yeah, some of those Nintendo 64 games don't work as well as the originals.  Some flat out won't work, while others will have graphical glitches and other things because the 64 is still a very tough system to make stuff for and emulate.  Mupen64Plus is definitely a good emulator, but it's a shame there's no Linux version of Project64.  Project64 is king of the heap as far as N64 emulators.

For other systems, these are all available in the repositories:

Nintendo Entertainment System:  fceu: install gfceu from the repos to get everything you need, including a nice GUI.
Super Nintendo:  zsnes:  available as zsnes:i386 for 64-bit users
Arcade:  mame
Multiple Systems: mess (to me, this is like the name says, a mess, but it can apparently emulate everything)

There are some others too, but their names elude me.  Unfortunately, there's not much in there for Sega systems, (Gens might be available for 32-bit, but it's not for 64-bit) though there are some you can find on the web to download for Sega.  Kega Fusion is a really nice one that emulates multiple Sega systems.

Ironically, the use of emulators and Roms is kind of a "gray" area of legality.  Some people call it copyright infringement, yet others call it the preservation of classic games.  Ironically, the creation of free emulators and (some) use of Roms is actually protected under the US Copyright Law.  And, there are emulators available for every operating system, including Android.  Nintendo even has some available for the Wii.  There are even some licensed classic consoles being sold today that use emulators and game Roms.  To me, there's nothing wrong with using these simply to enjoy classic games, many of which could be considered "abandonware" at this point.  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:40:51 am by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:53:27 am »
Thank you Scifidude79 for sharing detailed information on console Emulators for Linux. it is very helpful for me and other Peppermint users who are looking forward to enjoy some great games on Linux. It's so cool that even though most of the games in the menu are supposed to be run from the emulator, I can easily create menu shortcuts as if they are stand-alone apps. :)

Yes I have a lot of articles on Project64 and some Recommend using wine to run it. Mupen64plus doesn't even have a GUI,  so I had a little trouble trying to figure out how to make it work. visualboyadvance is great with its front end visualboyadvance-gtk but it has some issues sometimes (slight lag). I tried to run the same ROM on my android phone using "MyBoy" and I had no problems at all. the game run very smoothly.

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:04:22 pm »
Yeah, Project64 is the gold standard of N64 emulators.  Unfortunately, it's definitely not available for Linux.

I don't know why Mupen doesn't have a GUI front end.  There's a package in the repositories called mupen64plus-ui-console, which I think is supposed to be the GUI for it, but it doesn't seem to work.  But, at least you can run it from the terminal.  I actually still have a Nintendo 64, though I need to get some games I used to have but no longer do.  Ironically, we were talking about that and other consoles at work the other night.  :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »
Yes Mupen64plus runs fine from the terminal and it's very easy to configure the games to appear on the menu. so far I have had no performance issues but some graphic glitches (lines) appearing in some games.

I'm searching for more Emulators right now. gonna give em a try :)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:09 pm »
If I remember correctly, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter has a weird graphics issue where you can see objects that are hidden, like power ups and whatnot, through scenery.  Star Wars:  Shadows of the Empire also has some weird issues, like screen flickering and other stuff.  Last time I played, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron wouldn't even run.  Those are just a few I know of and can think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:16:54 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:10:57 pm »
If I remember correctly, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter has a weird graphics issue where you can see objects that are hidden, like power ups and whatnot, through scenery.  Star Wars:  Shadows of the Empire also has some weird issues, like screen flickering and other stuff.  Last time I played, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron wouldn't even run.  Those are just a few I know of and can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for telling me about them. I haven't tried any of them yet :D Turns out those are issues with Mupen and not the ROMs. Project64 runs them without any issues. I would have got myself wine but perhaps that wouldn't allow me to keep them games on my menu :( It'll be more like an emulator inside an emulator (project 64 inside Wine)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 02:47:09 pm »
It may have been Duke Nukem that had the issue with hidden obects visible.  Either that one or Turok.  It's been years since I played those.  Besides, I have Duke Nukem 3D in Linux native on Steam.   :D

Yes, not all emulators are created equal.  I was also thinking of trying Project 64 in Wine.  I have an Atari 7800 emulator that ran great in Wine last time I tried it.  By the way, Wine isn't an emulator.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:36:20 pm »
By the way, Wine isn't an emulator.

lol that's what WINE means right? Wine Is Not an Emulator :P Yesterday I came to know that there is a PS2 emulator for linux. Is there anyway I could get a cheap USB game controller online and play all those games console-style? ;)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »
I don't know what you consider cheap, but Logitech has been making Dual Shock-style controllers for years.  I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US, this one is decently priced:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY/ref=sr_1_1

99% of the time, Logitech stuff works with Linux, even though they're iffy about listing Linux system requirements.   ::)  There are also USB controllers for the NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, etc., if that's your type of thing.

Yes, WINE is an acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:32:59 pm »
Logitech accessories are very expensive although I do accept that they are of superior quality. My keyboard and mouse are both Logitech bought along with this PC in 2009 and still running like it's new :)

Actually I'm low on budget so I have found this really cheap local-made USB joystick online which has a lot of good reviews. "Enter" has a good reputation of making cheap-yet-superior products.

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/enter-egpv-usb-wired-gamepad/664320796156?tag=

If it doesn't work, I am going to gift it to someone :P no pain no gain lol

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:28:26 am »
Well, it's got 4 out of 5 stars, which is the same average rating that most of the Logitech gamepads have.  Honestly, I'm not really sure Logitech is of the same quality they used to be.  After burning through several of their mice in the past few years and at least one of their game controllers, I'm about done with them.  When my backup mouse goes out, (because my main died a few weeks ago) I'm thinking of trying a different brand.

As much as it pains any Linux user to say it, Microsoft actually makes superior game controllers.  I have a wired XBOX 360 controller "For Windows" that I've had for several years.  It works flawlessly in Linux and, ironically, is the only controller some Steam games for Linux support.  It was pricier than a Logitech controller, but it's more sturdy and works great.  Plus, since I have a 360, if I have an issue where I don't have charged batteries for my wireless controller, I can just plug it in and use it.  Though, I'm thinking of trying that new Steam controller, which is due out on November 10th.  It's something fresh in the somewhat stale PC controller market.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »
Reminds me of our discussion a few days ago when we talked about how hardware today is extremely substandard compared to what we had about 6-7 years ago. I haven't bought a mouse or keyboard since that long :D

cool! Looks like steam is bringing new life to the PC gaming market. Talking about hardware, Microsoft is okay but too expensive. The first ever mouse I bought in 2001 (I was 10) was Microsoft (It had Microsoft printed on it). It was one of those mice with a ball. And although I can't recall how much it cost but it worked very well until one day it got replaced with an optical mouse. But back then, there weren't many options available. Now, there are hundreds of manufacturers everywhere. And every one has its own way to lure customers. I'm more of a cheap-but-good kind of guy so I go well with cheap stuff :P

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:40:46 am »
Hey, that wired 360 controller was $40 well spent.  Though, I won't touch their keyboards or mice.  When I was looking for a inexpensive basic USB keyboard a few years ago, I looked at M$ and Logitech and a lot of people complained of the buttons being "mushy" on the M$ ones.  I went with a Logitech one and I'm glad I did.  (I'm using it now ;) )

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »
Yeah Logitech accessories are the best as far as my personal experience is concerned :) I have seen keyboards puking out their keys and mice getting dead but mine are still functioning properly ;)