Choose style:

Author Topic: TIME TO UPDATE: Adobe just fixed ANOTHER major security flaw in Flash  (Read 6008 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
LINK: https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb15-27.html (Release date: October 16, 2015)

Just a little over a day after Adobe confirmed the discovery of a major security flaw that affects Flash for users across Windows, Mac, and Linux, the company tells Tech Insider it has released the fix "ahead of our estimated time frame."

Adobe offers a list of updates across all platforms. We recommend all users install this update as soon as they can.

While it's good that Adobe prioritized the quick fix it's pretty serious when you have a cross-platform exploit that can "crash and take control of the affected system" you might choose to uninstall or disable the software anyway.

Adobe Flash has a history of being vulnerable to security threats, and this can be a major issue for you. You don't need Flash to view most web content anyway thanks to other standards for video and animation like HTML5.

If you use Adobe Flash, we definitely recommend you update to the latest version. Otherwise, this site shows a bunch of links if you want to disable Flash in every web browser you have.

ARTICLE: http://www.businessinsider.com/adobe-flash-security-flaw-fixed-update-now-2015-10

EXTRA CREDIT READING: Adobe Flash is dying a death by 1,000 cuts and that's a good thing
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:10:07 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: TIME TO UPDATE: Adobe just fixed ANOTHER major security flaw in Flash
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:32:35 am »
has the new update arrived on Ubuntu trusty repositories?

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:52:33 am »
Funny, you should ask   :D

As I was reading your post, this came through:

I don't run Adobe Flash.  I use the Pepperflash plugin, and the update hasn't hit the repos yet - but, yes, it looks like the regular Abode Flash upgrade has.

So, I guess the answer is 'yes' & 'no', as we speak.   ;)

BTW, the only reason I'm running the Pepperflash is because I need it in a DJ room that I  manage.  Otherwise, I stopped using it a while back...

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:02:15 am »
Cool. Thanks VinDSL! ;) I'm gonna update right away (as soon as I get home).

btw what gtk theme are you using? and what is that blue icon near mint update icon on the system tray? (sorry, I know it's off topic but I couldn't resist)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 01:08:35 am »
You're welcome !

I just purged my flashplugin-installer.

This is a relatively fresh P6 Respin install, and I didn't realize Flash was lingering in the background  ::)

When they update the Pepperflash plugin, all will be good again - for awhile.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 01:52:24 am »
btw what gtk theme are you using? and what is that blue icon near mint update icon on the system tray? (sorry, I know it's off topic but I couldn't resist)

OMG, a detail man !  Welcome to the club !!!  LoL   :D

I've been haxoring a custom theme in my leisure time, the past couple of weeks.

I won't bore you with the tweaks I made to the various config files, but...

The core theme is mixture of Peppermix-Dark & Cenodark-Red.  I've been calling it Cenodark-Peppermint.

The iconset is RAVEfinity's most excellent Vibrancy-Full-Dark-Orange, which itself is a mixture of different iconsets, including Humanity-Dark, Ubuntu- Mono-Dark, and so forth, and so on.  Emegra turned me on to it, and I picked it up over in the LP repos:

VIBRANCY LINK:  https://launchpad.net/~ravefinity-project/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+index

Here's how the file manager looks, so far, if you're interested in this kinda stuff:

When I get it done I'll package it, and you can give it a whirl, if you wish.   ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 02:04:25 am »
I gotta see which updates have hit my updater ;) I have this icon set installed too. it looks cool and comes in a lot of color choices. The guys at ravefinity make some great themes.

Thanks! :)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 02:13:13 am »
Heh!  I never did answer your question about the blue icon in the app launch bar   ;D

That's the Copy launcher:  https://www.copy.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 02:51:46 am »
Thanks for reminding me about, Copy20GB of gratis storage is a lot of jpegs.  It's a perfect candidate for an SSB.  There's even a nice icon to download: Copy.pngSSBs, you've gotta love 'em  ;D!!   
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 02:55:07 am »
I love Barracuda !

Copy is but one example...   :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 03:15:07 am »
Heh!  I never did answer your question about the blue icon in the app launch bar   ;D

That's the Copy launcher:  https://www.copy.com

Thanks. I'll download it as soon as I get home to computer. I love spending my weekend night doing random stuff on Peppermint :D

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 03:18:35 am »
Thanks for reminding me about, Copy20GB of gratis storage is a lot of jpegs.  It's a perfect candidate for an SSB.  There's even a nice icon to download: Copy.pngSSBs, you've gotta love 'em  ;D!!

With SSBs, you can have hundreds of useful apps without the need to download anything and spending disk space. I wish I had a website directory. An extensive list with important websites sorted according to their purpose and ratings etc. That'd be one hell of a SSB making guide ;)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:05:31 am »

With SSBs, you can have hundreds of useful apps without the need to download anything and spending disk space. I wish I had a website directory. An extensive list with important websites sorted according to their purpose and ratings etc. That'd be one hell of a SSB making guide ;)
Yeah, that would be the business.  You know what surprises me.  The lack of Ice adoption by other distros.  ApricityOS is the only one to see the light.  With the rapid growth of Cloud integration and the way the proprietary OS providers are meeting the challenge.  You'd expect the Linux community to jump on such a simple and powerful package.  I get the distinct feeling that they're going to be playing catch up in the very near future  ;).

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 04:41:40 am »
I had never used/seen ICE on any other distribution I tried before. So, I thought ICE is a proprietary Peppermint feature. :)

A lot of people may ask "Why the hell do you need ICE? Google Chrome does the same thing by creating shortcuts to bookmarks/Web-apps". I consider the following as appropriate answers :

1. ICE allows use to create any Web page as an app or SSB (not just the apps on chrome Web store)

2. It's much easier to set your icon.

3. You can choose which Web browser will open the Web app.

4. You can create the SSB and place it in any directory of the menu according to your choice (not just Internet submenu like chrome does).

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 05:20:41 am »
I had never used/seen ICE on any other distribution I tried before. So, I thought ICE is a proprietary Peppermint feature. :)

A lot of people may ask "Why the hell do you need ICE? Google Chrome does the same thing by creating shortcuts to bookmarks/Web-apps". I consider the following as appropriate answers :

1. ICE allows use to create any Web page as an app or SSB (not just the apps on chrome Web store)

2. It's much easier to set your icon.

3. You can choose which Web browser will open the Web app.

4. You can create the SSB and place it in any directory of the menu according to your choice (not just Internet submenu like chrome does).
You forgot two really huge reasons:
  • Ice is Free and Open source, Google is Closed source
  • Peppermint did it first with Ice
I know which one I prefer  ;).