Author Topic: Formating an External Hard Drive(SOLVED)  (Read 2806 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Formating an External Hard Drive(SOLVED)
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:16:50 am »
Hello Peppermint people. I am going to format an external hard drive as storage only. This hard drive was previously installed in my computer and was a dual boot with window xp and peppermint 6.  I've read Andy's tutorial on creating partitions and I'm pretty sure I understand it all except one thing, since this hard drive is only going to have one partition which I will name Storage, do I list the mount point as / or as Storage? That's the only thing I'm not sure about and would like a little guidance with. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:01:53 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Formating an External Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:39:17 am »
Are you going to use this hard drive for installing a Linux Distro or just for storing songs, movies, etc?

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 08:40:39 am »
Here's an awesome tutorial on setting up and using a data partition:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1835.0.html

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 08:41:32 am »
Hi

using gnome-disk-manager and having a large number of disks to mount, I usually mount then in /media/anamethatmeanssomethingtome

ie

/media/Local_D   or  /media/Local_E    or simply /media/G      but it could equally be  /media/Films   or /media/storage

I do not know the technical reason why they need to be in  /media    and hopefully one of the clever guys can explain better than I...   I think I know that mounting the disk as /  is not correct as this is the root of the OS.      your HD file structure for storage does not follow this convention.

I do know that simply clicking on an unmounted disk in Nemo will mount them to /media/username/labelondisk

Hope this helps...  it probably won't lol as I am not really good at explaining things.

Help will arrive soon
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:48:14 am »
Hi alynur, how's it going?  That's a great idea.  I do the same with redundant HHD;).   I presuming that you are only going to using the external drive with you LInux machine.  If you intend to bounce it around machines with different OSs, I'd format it to NTFS.  As it stands, you've formatted it to ext4.  Give it the label Storage or whatever you want.  You'll now need to take ownership of the device.  In the instructions below, where you see: < username>.  Replace it with your username, without the: < >  ;).  It's also very important you have the : separating your user name(s) in the command.
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R < username>:< username> /media/<username>/StorageHit enter and enter your password if asked.  Hit enter again and that's it  ;).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:54:37 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:59:05 am »
Hi alynur,

Do not use / as your mount point. Use either /media or /mnt (both of which exist already in your internal HDD installation of PeppermintOS). You can also mount it in you home folder in a folder of your choice (such as one you create for this pupose and give a name like Data or ext-drive or whatever). But a more standard place is /media of /mnt, as mentioned.

You can give the partition a name (as suggested above) such as DATA or Storage, but then when connected for use to your computer it should be mounted at either /media or /mnt.

Will this external drive always be connected to the main machine or will you frequently leave it disconnected (or connected to another machine) and only occasionally connect it to your PeppermintOS machine when you have a need for it? Will it sometimes be connected to a machine that has Windoze installed?

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:14 am »
You have to be careful with what AndyInMokum just said in the post above. Because yesterday, I tried deleting my user account and creating a new one (then deleted the previous one). I couldn't open my partitions anymore because of the permission issue. All my hard disk partitions (ext4) are set to be accessed only by my original user account. Then I had to create another new account with exactly the same username as my original account and it worked :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:50:06 am »
Yeah, as Slim.Fatz says .. DO NOT mount it at /

Instead create a mountpoint in /media or /mnt .. such as
/media/storage
or
/mnt/storage
 .. then if you want it automounted) mount it there via an addition to you fstab file.

If that made little sense, how are you going to format the drive ?, and what file system are you planning on using ? .. and is the drive ALWAYS going to be attached to this system or not ?

If it's not always going to be attached, don't automount it at all .. just access it via the file manager, which will mount it as you use it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:52:58 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:59:12 am »
WOW, and for a second there I thought I knew what I was doing. I read thru everybody's comments, thank you guys, thank you thank you thank you! Okay, so this is what I understand, I should choose /media/Storage for the mount point and name of the partition. I am only going to use this external hard drive occasionally to back up personal files and I am going to copy foto cds to since cds have a way of becoming unusable, along with some music and videos. So I was going to format it as ext4 but now I'm not sure because maybe some day I might plug it into a windows computer to copy or share files. But it is not going to be connected all the time and I was hoping to mount it thru File Manager as I would a USB memory. So would I still have to take ownership of the device? I think I covered everybody's questions.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 11:05:21 am »
If you're going to format it EXT, yes you'll need to take ownership.

Personally I wouldn't bother automounting it .. as an external USB device it will just be offered to you in the left hand column of file manager .. clicking on it there should mount it on the fly.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 03:18:37 pm »
Okay, I tried to take ownership of the hard drive but when I attempt to copy to it I don't have permission. In properties it says that the group root is the owner. Now what?
If I right click on an empty space while in Storage I get the option to open as root which after entering my password allows me into an elevated priveleges window which allows me to copy to and open whatever. So it is usable like that but that's kind of a pain, isn't there an easier way?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:30:06 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »
Hi alynur, with the external HDD plugged in, run this code:
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R albert:albert /media/albert/StorageHit enter and do the password thing.  If you have the nemo file manager open, close it and reopen it.  If your username is albert and the drive is labelled Storage, it should work  ;).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:19:47 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »
Hi AndyinMokum, well I don't quite understand why because that's exactly how I entered the code when I did, but I did it again copying it from your post and sure enough, now it's working just fine. So thanks again and I'll check back with you guys on the next problem that comes along.
What was I thinking?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 05:16:33 pm »
Hi AndyinMokum, well I don't quite understand why because that's exactly how I entered the code when I did, but I did it again copying it from your post and sure enough, now it's working just fine. So thanks again and I'll check back with you guys on the next problem that comes along.
Outstanding  ;)!  Many thanks for marking the topic as [SOLVED] 8).