Choose style:

Author Topic: Android Kernel vs Peppermint kernel  (Read 5419 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Android Kernel vs Peppermint kernel
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:46 am »
So very true Scifidude79! :P Android uses Linux kernel but it is made to be different than Linux. Even generic Linux packages cannot be installed on it. I wonder what DE it uses. Perhaps a tweaked version of Java. day by day, android is getting more and more resource hungry. I have 1 GB RAM on my device and if I install a lot of apps, I will have apps restarting or battery draining very fast.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 11:37:59 am »
You may want to take a look at what is running in the background.  Something that automatically starts might be draining your battery too.   ::)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 11:53:11 am »
Basically Google play services and Facebook are the two main reasons. I am not even on Facebook but I can't Uninstall it (it's like a bloatware). I haven't rooted my phone yet but looks like I have to.

And you were right that Android is Linux underneath but a lot like Windows/mac over the top :) It has a lot of bloatware and cannot be uninstalled without voiding it's warranty

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 11:54:30 am »
Go into your settings, to the Application Manager and see if you can disable Facebook.  That's what I did with everything I don't want running on my tablet.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »
Thanks :) Actually Sony has a lot of apps/features on its UI which are connected to Facebook. I'm afraid that disabling might affect some apps that I use. Sometimes some games offer free rewards when shared/liked on Facebook. That's when I open a fake account to avail those features :P But disabling is a good idea. :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 12:40:25 pm »
I was playing CSR Racing and CSR Classics last night and it was offering me rewards if I signed in with Facebook.  I just ignored it.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
Did that get you rewards? My tablet was rooted. so I could use a game hack tool called GameCIH to easily edit game data (increase money, hitpoints etc) :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 08:41:32 pm »
No, I didn't get the "rewards" because I ignored it.  I'm not giving in to their sponsorship deal to get "free" stuff in games.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 09:18:48 pm »
Sometimes there are rewards on surveys and installing applications (or shopping). It sucks. Most of the time, I use Blackmart instead of Google play. it's like Synaptic on android. Free and lot of apps. All paid apps can be downloaded without paying anything ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 09:57:04 am »
No, I didn't get the "rewards" because I ignored it.  I'm not giving in to their sponsorship deal to get "free" stuff in games.

It's funny I said that, because I actually do watch opt-in ads on there to get free gas for my cars in both CSR and CSR Classics.  Though, that's not strictly speaking necessary, I just don't always want to wait for the car to fill back up on its own, which takes time.  (an attempt to get you to spend money on stuff in their store)  Though, I can't say the ads are always useless, I do plan to try some of the apps it suggests.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 10:41:34 am »

It's funny I said that, because I actually do watch opt-in ads on there to get free gas for my cars in both CSR and CSR Classics.  Though, that's not strictly speaking necessary, I just don't always want to wait for the car to fill back up on its own, which takes time.  (an attempt to get you to spend money on stuff in their store)  Though, I can't say the ads are always useless, I do plan to try some of the apps it suggests.  ;)

Yeah some ads are okay but most of them are extremely annoying. sometimes I have random opening of my play store while browsing prompting me to download some stupid app like apus launcher, clean master and crap.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 10:43:44 am »
I hate games with intrusive ads.  I had free Solitaire at first on my tablet for about 10 minutes.  However, it not only had ads in the upper corner of the game (not really an issue) but it also had full screen videos between games.  No way was I putting up with that, so I paid $0.99 for an ad free game.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 11:00:12 am »
If you had a rooted tablet, you could have downloaded lucky patcher to remove ads from applications completely :)