Choose style:

Author Topic: US, Canada, and EU is going to kill free software!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: US, Canada, and EU is going to kill free software!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:36:33 am »
Whilst I agree that this is a bit like swatting a fly with a tank, I think it's being a bit misrepresented and overstated on the site you linked to (possibly as sensationalist click bait).  :o

This is NOT a threat to "free software" .. the proposed regulations are an attempt to lock down wireless devices from using non standard frequencies/channels/wattage to protect the limited useful radio bandwidth from interference (intentional or otherwise).

As drawn up the new proposals will likely make manufacturers lock down routers firmware from being modified, and this is where they story comes from - no more DD-WRT, etc. not because DD-WRT changes the frequencies/channels/etc. but because the easiest way for a manufacture to lock down the device is to lock down modifying the firmware in ANY way.
In fact the manufacturers *could* lock down just the frequency changing/boosting and leave the rest of the firmware open for modification .. but you can guarantee they're take the path of least resistance (least liability) and lock down the firmware totally.

it will have no affect on Linux as a Computer OS or any other free software .. wireless devices will still work in/under Linux, you'll still be able to write/modify wireless applications and drivers you just won't be able to modify the firmware.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:53:21 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:15 am »
It is literally illegal in the United States goverment to block the usage of free software.  I just want to point that out.  The government doesn't have that kind of power.  In fact, if they forced you to use non free operating systems like Windows or OSX, they'd be in violation of their own antitrust laws, which they already went after Microsoft for in the late '90s.  I'd imagine they can't do it in the UK or Canada either.  As for them being able to put spyware on your computer, do you think they can't do that now?  At the very least, they can likely do that on Windows systems.

Limiting Wifi frequencies is no worse than limiting radio frequencies for civilian use, which has been done for ages.  They're just trying to keep everyone on frequencies they can monitor more easily and probably also leaving frequencies open for government use.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »
I don't think it's that easy. Such a mistake by any government will initiate global outrage. in this information age, we are already in the brink of a revolution.  revolution that can topple governments and bring down empires :)