Choose style:

Author Topic: Laptop shuts down without warning when battery level is low  (Read 6347 times)

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
When my laptop battery gets to around 30% the computer just shuts down. No warnings, no prompting me to shut down. I have xfce4-power-manager-settings configured to ask me what to do when the power level is critical, but it's not doing it. I put this post in the hardware sub-forum because I suspect it has to do with my battery. Gnome-power-statistics says my battery only has a capacity of 81.6%, which is a little distressing as this laptop is barely 3 years old.

Is it possible that because the battery doesn't hold enough charge, whatever is supposed to warn me about the battery power level being critical isn't doing it's job? For instance, although it's reporting the battery is at 30%, it's really at 10%. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. Is there a threshold at which the kernel just shuts down the computer, regardless of user settings? When I ran Windows, the computer would just turn off when the battery power level got sufficiently low.  I'm wondering how I might get some insight into why this is happening? I'll buy a new battery if I have to, but I'd like to confirm that as the cause first.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:41:48 am by xanadu »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Laptop shuts down without warning when battery level is low
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:17:21 am »
Hi xanadu.  I see you are also having fun and games with Xfce4 Power Manager.  I have issues with it too.  The issue I have is, It won't switch modes from on power to on battery when I unplug the laptop.  This is really annoying and potentially harmful because of instead of hibernating when the power reaches 10%.  It continues to run as if it is pugged in until the battery is exhausted.  The computer just stops.  Obviously this is very bad.  If I boot up on battery, things sort of work.   As far as I can see, Xfce Power Manager is really buggy.  Here is the Xfce-power-manager Bug Report.  Your problem may fall into this category.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to my issue.   I really hope that the bugs are fixed because without fixes it remains a really weak link and potentially a system damaging problem  :(.  I must emphasize that this is not a problem with Peppermint as, the same issues occur when I run Xfce-power-manager in other distros.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:25:01 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:31 am »
If I were you I'd wait and see how things work in Peppermint 5

If you're not planning on moving to Peppermint 5, or it's still a problem in Peppermint 5 we'll have a go at troubleshooting it .. power management problems can be a bit time consuming to diagnose so with Peppermint 5 just around the corner......
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:12:24 pm »
@AndyInMokum: Yes, that sounds just like my problem. Computer just turns off when not plugged in and the battery gets low. I haven't tried booting without being plugged in to power because I'm afraid it'll just turn off while I'm in the middle of working on a project. The other weird thing is, gnome-power-statistics, as well as the battery indicator in Cairo-Dock both report I have 8-10 hours on battery when it's discharging from 100% (or 81% if the stats are to be believed), but I get more like 2 hours (and I am using an HDMI display with laptop display turned off). Granted, I have a fair number of USB-powered peripherals plugged in, including a laptop cooling fan, but none of them should be draining that much power so quickly (keyboard is solar, mouse is battery powered, drives are AC powered). I definitely got more battery time in Windows (never 8-10 hours, closer to 4-5). I am even running a script (temp-throttle.sh, you can find it on GitHub) that throttles my CPU, which should save me some battery time, but doesn't seem to do so.

@PCNetSpec: Will Peppermint 5 be returning to Openbox? I'll most likely install it on another partition to check it out, but I'm quite partial to Peppermint 3 at the moment. Of course, this random turning off on battery thing will force me to switch to Peppermint 5, regardless of the window manager.

Admins, you can move this to the software sub-forum if you think it's more appropriate there.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »
No Peppermint 5 won't be moving back to openbox.

What's the laptop make/model ?

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
ASUS N53SV

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:04 am »
Does it work properly in any other distros / desktop environments ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »
tbh, I switched from Windows to Linux because Windows would randomly reboot, plugged in or on battery (if I left it idle for 10 minutes, I would come back to find it stuck at the boot logo). Sometimes BSODs, usually not, though. Until the last month or so, I have had no issues with Linux like this, though. I suspected the motherboard until I ran Linux and everything seemed fine. Now, I have no idea.

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32), 7 (64)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:59 am »
want to second this behavior: sudden shutdowns, shows 'running on battery' when I know the battrry is dead. and this for both laptops, with different chargers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:45:30 pm by damig »