Choose style:

Author Topic: How many editions of Manjaro do they want ?  (Read 6888 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: How many editions of Manjaro do they want ?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 11:49:52 am »
Yeah I was never a fan of Enlightenment .. it got a lot of press a while back so I tested it, and sure it had some good features (I'd love to get their terminal "terminology" fully functional under Peppermint), but as an overall UX it drove me nuts
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 01:18:18 pm »
I don't remember the specific beef I had with it (E17) but I remember not liking the UI at all.  If i remember correctly, several things didn't work.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 02:27:20 am »
I don't remember the specific beef I had with it (E17) but I remember not liking the UI at all.  If i remember correctly, several things didn't work.

Yeah, the same with me. Personally, I don't care that much for the general appearance either. But the many hoops I had to jump through to get it all working -- that was ridiculous.  ::)

Give me Peppermint Six anytime!

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 04:02:01 am »
Bodhi Linux is about as good as E17-19 gets and even they have now forked their own desktop as they didn't like the way E19 was going.

Wayyyyyyyyy to fussy for me and having to dig down thorugh 4/5/6 levels of menu to get to what I want - crazy...   Looks pretty and is pretty quick...  but will never have a place on my SSD
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 10:08:40 am »
Bodhi Linux is about as good as E17-19 gets and even they have now forked their own desktop as they didn't like the way E19 was going.

Wayyyyyyyyy to fussy for me and having to dig down thorugh 4/5/6 levels of menu to get to what I want - crazy...   Looks pretty and is pretty quick...  but will never have a place on my SSD
Agreed, I tried Bodhi Linux ages ago.  The whole experience lasted about 20mins.  I couldn't cope with all the effort for a very small result.  I also didn't like the Toy Town look and feel.  It's a clever concept, I'll give it that.  It's just not for me  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 12:00:56 pm »
I tried Bodhi several years ago and had issues with getting my Nvidia driver installed.  The individual who runs it gave me some snarky remark in reply to my issue, so I'll never touch it again no matter what DE he uses.  But, that was the one where I tried E17, along with one or two other distros whose names elude me.  Now that I see the comments of others, I think that's why I didn't like it as well.  Too many UI layers and too much work to try to get it working.  In my opinion, an OS should work from the start, like Peppermint does.  Similarly, I don't like Manjaro because I've had nothing but issues running it.

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 04:41:04 am »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:54 am »
Crazy eh!  You'd think they'd want to iron out the bugs in their official releases, before bombarding everyone with their buggy community releases.  It really makes no sense to me and unfortunately, it's making the devs at Manjaro look stupid  :-\.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 05:13:47 am »
Crazy eh!  You'd think they'd want to iron out the bugs in their official releases, before bombarding everyone with their buggy community releases.  It really makes no sense to me and unfortunately, it's making the devs at Manjaro look stupid  :-\.
totally agree with you AndyInMokum, i was once in the manjaro-sea but i am glad i have moved to the PM

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 06:24:14 am »

To achieve stability --maybe eight?  ;)

https://manjaro.github.io/Update-2015-11-30_(stable)/

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 09:19:35 pm »
Having a bunch of ISOs is counter-intuitive IMO. You'll never please everyone so there's no point in making additional work for yourself. To me, it's wiser to pick one GUI that you focus on as the "poster-child" of the distro, and then, if you REALLY want to cater to the "choice" people, have a second ISO that is a GUI-less base ISO.

Example: The GUI-less ISO ("core" from here on out) would have all of the video drivers installed just like on the regular ISO, but no login manager on bootup and no DEs or WMs pre-loaded. Instead, on login, the issue would display describing which command to run to connect WiFi and a list of commands to run for the user's desired GUI.

Code: [Select]
Welcome to Peppermint Core!

If you require a WiFi connection, please run:

$ sudo wifi-menu

and follow the prompts.

Commonly installed Window Managers and Desktop environments:

i3:
$ sudo apt-get install i3

LXDE:
$ sudo apt-get install lxde

KDE/Plasma:
$ sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop (or whatever the meta is)

... And so on ...

You cater to the minimalists out there who want to feel like they are actually building their environment, and you cater to the indecisive and inexperienced by providing them with clear instructions on how to get rolling. Win-win. In the meantime, you're not having to split your attention or build consistent assets across GUIs because you're still only focused on the one ISO, with core being the primary ISO minus the GUI step of the build process. Add a basic issue to /etc/skel if the lsb-release type is "core" and call it a day. No muss, no fuss and everybody walks away at least placated if not happy. :)
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 10:05:07 pm »
That's an idea, but if we remove all the GUI stuff basically you'd be left with Ubuntu core .. though I suppose we could package the peppermint components into a single installable "DE" metapackage in the same way as lxde / xfce4 / etc.

That said, I'm not sure that's the Peppermint target demographic .. Peppermint has always been about new user and Windows convert friendliness, whilst being minimal only as far as preinstalled apps goes.

So I'm with you as far as that's probably what Manjaro should be doing .. and still with you as far as Peppermint sticking with a single DE and attempting to "nail it" .. I just don't think a "core" build is really in line with the Peppermint ethos (at least what it's been to date) ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:09:23 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 04:08:41 am »
I personally find that darthlukan's approach is basically just what I would like to have available. The current PeppermintOS appeals to the people PCNetSpec has referred to (M$ converts, people not interested in becoming Geeks, noobies, etc) and this would remain so.

The "core" edition would not only be a relatively easy to create edition (for the PeppermintOS team) but it would also be an easy way to gain a little more "air time" in the media (without going the ridiculous route followed by Manjaro, Puppy, and a few others).

True, the core edition would be little more than the Ubuntu core, but with a little creativity it could easily be made different enough to be worth the effort. Significantly (for me, at least, and I am sure for some others as well) it would not actually be Ubuntu. And, as darthlukan said,
You cater to the minimalists out there who want to feel like they are actually building their environment.
(which really describes me so perfectly that I have to chuckle about it  :P ).

The PeppermintOS team would really not need to change their public relations approach in any significant way (the Geeks and Wanna-Be-Geeks will read the DistroWatch and other reports about the core edition anyway). So I too see such an approach as a win-win option -- with very little extra effort and much better than producing a bloated PeppermintOS with tons of additional apps.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2015, 08:18:11 am »
That's an idea, but if we remove all the GUI stuff basically you'd be left with Ubuntu core .. though I suppose we could package the peppermint components into a single installable "DE" metapackage in the same way as lxde / xfce4 / etc.

That said, I'm not sure that's the Peppermint target demographic .. Peppermint has always been about new user and Windows convert friendliness, whilst being minimal only as far as preinstalled apps goes.

So I'm with you as far as that's probably what Manjaro should be doing .. and still with you as far as Peppermint sticking with a single DE and attempting to "nail it" .. I just don't think a "core" build is really in line with the Peppermint ethos (at least what it's been to date) ;)

Oh trust me, I agree with you wholeheartedly and I wasn't trying to advocate Team Peppermint doing it, I was just using us as an example since it's an easy one to make with us.  Team Peppermint's target demographic is meant to feel safe with Peppermint. One ISO, one set of instructions, a small, consistent footprint and upgrade path, and simple, educational tools and notifications to assist them in becoming familiar with their new candy-clad system.
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2016, 11:19:23 am »
As far as the topic goes they just need 1 - xfce.  Manjaro 2015.12 is an extremely good distro. Everything works out of the box, blisteringly fast. You don't need anything more. IMHO

However, the Linux Community has proved time and time again, it's all about choice. So if people want to package Manjaro with Budgie, KDE, i3, Deepin   wotever they want; let em.

If it's not right for you don't choose it - simples :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080