Author Topic: FOSS: How it works, and what distinguishes it from closed source software  (Read 3533 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
FOSS: How it works, and what distinguishes it from closed source software
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 04:31:49 am »
No, PCNetSpec, it was the depth and intricacy of the permissions structure within Linux that I did not understand.  As far as I can see now, all the i's have been doted, and all the t's crossed regarding my understanding the differences between open and closed source software --and what differences there are!   But, I did need to have this conversation.  Since Peppermint is F.O.S.S., understanding how Linux is structured is basic to truly understanding how Linux, and therefore Peppermint, works.

Since you, Andy, and I are all seem to be using Chrome (at least at times), I do wonder every now and then how much risk we are taking the few times any one of us steps outside of the repositories for an occasional download  --and what software programs Chrome could be tossing into our browsers of which we are unaware.  I suspect the risk we are taking is quite small if existent at all, but still I wonder...:-\

Brilliant posts, PCNetSpec and AndyInMokum.  Brilliant!

I mean this:  these two posts made my day. ;)

Thank you.

perknh
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:51:08 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Oh, one last thing I forgot to cover .. you asked where people can get the Peppermint source code...

Peppermint is made up of a lot of pre-compiled "packages" from the repositories, you can get the original source code that was compiled into the  package by just running
Code: [Select]
apt-get source <packagename>
so if you want the source code for say the gedit package .. to keep things tidy we'll create a directory in your home folder and download it to there:
mkdir ~/gedit-sourcethen change directory to that directory
cd ~/gedit-sourcethen download the source for the gedit package
apt-get source geditnow look in your home folder for a directory called "gedit-source" .. it'll contain all the source code that when compiled goes into building the gedit binary along with any patches, and the packaging details and files.

You can do this for ANY package in the default repos.

You're free to modify that source code and compile it into a finished edited version of gedit for your own use .. but you'll not be able to sign that code and push it back to the repo unless you're a team member and have the right GPG keys.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:54:18 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline darthlukan

• Trusted User
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
As an addendum to PCNetSpec's previous post, you can also review the source code of apps coded by Team Peppermint and other contributors here: https://github.com/peppermintos.

Shameless plug, if you're interested in contributing your development skills (or picking some up), feel free to fork one of our repos and submit pull requests! I'll review any and all proposed commits and I promise to provide constructive feedback :)
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
No, PCNetSpec, it was the depth and intricacy of the permissions structure within Linux that I did not understand.  As far as I can see now, all the i's have been doted, and all the t's crossed regarding my understanding the differences between open and closed source software --and what differences there are!   But, I did need to have this conversation.  Since Peppermint is F.O.S.S., understanding how Linux is structured is basic to truly understanding how Linux, and therefore Peppermint, works.

Since you, Andy, and I are all seem to be using Chrome (at least at times), I do wonder every now and then how much risk we are taking the few times any one of us steps outside of the repositories for an occasional download  --and what software programs Chrome could be tossing into our browsers of which we are unaware.  I suspect the risk we are taking is quite small if existent at all, but still I wonder...:-\

Brilliant posts, PCNetSpec and AndyInMokum.  Brilliant!

I mean this:  these two posts made my day. ;)

Thank you.

perknh
Yeah, Google is what it is - user tracking software and data mining.  It's the way they make their gazillions of dollars a minute, or whatever it is.  This is the price we pay for the excellent service they provide.  I don't mind this, just as long as I have some level control of what they track.  As long as I'm able to do this, I'm quite happy to compromise and use Google Chrome.  It provides the services I like, so it's not a problem for me.

Now you have a better understanding of how elegant the permissions system involved in Open source software is.  You're able to see how the whole concept of FOSS is very special and very progressive.  It's so logical in comparison to the analy retentive closed source world.  I found it a real eye opener, when the penny dropped  :o.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
FOSS: How it works, and what distinguishes it from closed source software
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 06:50:31 pm »
Now you have a better understanding of how elegant the permissions system involved in Open source software is.  You're able to see how the whole concept of FOSS is very special and very progressive.  It's so logical in comparison to the analy retentive closed source world.  I found it a real eye opener, when the penny dropped  :o.

AndyInMokum,  this has become an amazing thread.  Now, I'd like to re-title it FOSS:  How it works, and what distinguishes it from closed source software  I think this new title more accurately reflects the subject matter within this thread.

Thank you, PCNetSpec, AndyInMokum, and darthlukan for your insightful and helpful posts here.  I believe this thread will help many people understand more about how FOSS works, and what distinguishes FOSS from closed source software.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm