Choose style:

Author Topic: How many editions of Manjaro do they want ?  (Read 6887 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
How many editions of Manjaro do they want ?
« on: October 08, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »
Just spotted the Manjaro Cinnamon release announcement

What's next ?

Trinity, Budgie, Hawaii, Deepin, Pantheon .. or maybe WindowMaker, or CDE

What's the point of having a million ISO's ? .. just cherry pick the best bits and make one good ISO ;)

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Manjaro, I'm just baffled by the bazzillion editions .. all with pretty stock DE's
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:51:40 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: How many editions of Manjaro do they want ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:07:06 pm »
Hello PCNetSpec,

The Cinnamon DE, from what I can tell, appears to be a bridge DE for Windows users to Linux --at least that's what Cinnamon DE looked like to me when I tried Mint's Cinnamon edition. (I figure Cinnamon in both Mint and Manjaro must resemble each other.)  Maybe Manjaro is trying to pull in more of the Windows crowd. :-\

I notice it's a community edition.

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
That's the crux of my question though perknh .. AFAIK (and I could be wrong) they are all pretty stock DE's maybe with a new theme .. what's the point ?

for example, why would I want Manjaro Cinnamon over Mint, or Stock Manjaro with Cinnamon installed so I can switch session.

Okay I get that they're community spins, so maybe I'm being a little hard .. it just seems that every day there's a new "edition", which isn't really a new edition, just a new default DE

[EDIT]

I suppose they give people a chance to see what it'd be like in a Live session before installing the DE in stock Manjaro .. or to decide they like that DE as the default better than the stock version(s)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:10:43 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:52:13 pm »
I really don't know. :-\ 

But there is one DE that I see most distributions keeping far away from --and that's Unity.  There's OZ Unity, Makulu's version of Unity, and maybe a handful of others.  But few distributions dare go near it, and it's probably the one DE that needs the most work too.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »
With Unity 8 around the corner (and its reliance on Mir) bunging out a distro with Unity is probably a little risky and unsustainable ATM.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:05:51 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:07 pm »
Well that will be interesting.  I forgot to mention that LXQt doesn't seem to be doing so well at the moment either.  I wonder if development is continuing for LXQt.  At the very least it looks as if development for LXQt is stagnant for the time-being.

Peppermint chose wisely not to go down the LXQt path. ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:29:15 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:34 pm »
What makes you say LXQt has stagnated ?

Their mailing lists don't seem to suggest any slowdown (not that development was quick in the first place), and they have a planned milestone of Oct 31st for the 0.10 release:
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/milestones

or am I missing something ?

Not that it makes much difference to us...

[EDIT]

Although you *may* be right:
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/graphs/contributors?from=2014-10-09&to=2015-10-09&type=c
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:55:13 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:48:58 pm »
What makes you say LXQt has stagnated ?

or am I missing something ?

[EDIT]

Although you *may* be right:

Hi PCNetSpec

And maybe I'm wrong.  I've haven't checked out the 15.10 Lubuntu to see how things are going with LXQt there, but Manaro's LXQt hasn't gone very far since I first checked it out about 14 months ago.  I can't find the source of where I saw that development had nearly stopped about a year ago.  I actually think you're right about LXQt's development.  The development of LXQt hasn't stopped; it is just moving along at a snail's pace.

I know this, I can't enlarge the LXQt clock over at Manjaro, and if you want people to use your DE --the clock had better be easy to configure and see.  Even Trisquel's clock is easier to see than Manjaro's LXQt clock  --but not by much. 

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 12:02:41 am »
I'd settle for them releasing one that works correctly. ::)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 06:04:46 am »
Me too.  I've pretty well given up on Manjaro.  I couldn't believe that I had experienced two kernel panics with Manjaro's Xfce Bellatrix edition right after it was released about a week ago.  A kernel panic, from my understanding, is Linux's equivalent to Window's blue screen of death --but without that nice bright shade of blue! ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:59:21 am by perknh »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 06:14:36 am »
they are compromising their quality over quantity.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:04:39 am »
I wish they wouldn't release their newer distributions until they've sorted out issues like possible kernel panics.   A kernel panic is a very serous issue.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:45:37 am »
Me too.  I've pretty well given up on Manjaro.  I couldn't believe that I had experienced two kernel panics with Manjaro's Xfce Bellatrix edition right after it was released about a week ago.  A kernel panic, from my understanding, is Linux's equivalent to Window's blue screen of death --but without that nice bright shade of blue! ;D

Were you trying to boot it using your GRUB installation from Peppermint or anything other than Manjaro's GRUB installation?  If so, that's why you got the kernel panic message.  It's a bug, and a really bad one at that.  They give you the option to install GRUB to your / partition during installation but don't even warn you that there's a bug with that, unless it's in the release notes, which I can't even find.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »
Were you trying to boot it using your GRUB installation from Peppermint or anything other than Manjaro's GRUB installation?  If so, that's why you got the kernel panic message.  It's a bug, and a really bad one at that.  They give you the option to install GRUB to your / partition during installation but don't even warn you that there's a bug with that, unless it's in the release notes, which I can't even find.

Yes, exactly!  I was trying to boot Manjaro from my external hard drive from which I had, and have, Peppermint 6 installed.  When I removed the external hard drive, I had no problem booting into Manjaro at all --which was directly from my computer's internal hard drive.  However I decided I wanted Peppermint to boot up externally first by default, while still allowing myself to scroll down to Manjaro's Xfce edition if I wanted to go with an Xfce desktop for a while.  I couldn't do it though.  While trying to boot into Manjaro through my external drive, I experienced these kernel panics with Manjaro.  I don't get kernel panics when I boot up in this manner with Mint, Ubuntu, or Debian.  I only have this problem with Manjaro.

I'm burnt out with Manjaro right now.

Thank you, scifidude79.  You understand exactly what I was experiencing.  Those kernel panics sure get old fast.  I need to say hasta la vista to Manjaro for the time being.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:15 pm »
Yeah, I don't know why they would even call that a final release with a bug like that in it.  I was really mad when I installed Manjaro 15.09 XFCE, went to boot it and got that kernel panic message.  They need to fix that if they want anybody to really take them seriously.