Choose style:

Author Topic: Would You Consider Another Spin?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline jimdunn

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6
Would You Consider Another Spin?
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:13:38 pm »
Hey all,

First, let me say that I've been looking at dozens of distros, and I'm amazed at how much I like Peppermint OS.  I've been looking for an "XP replacement" and this comes close!!!

That said, I've been nervous about "ubuntu" and their different directions at times, and wondered if you'd ever consider have another spin, like Netrunner does?

They do a Kubuntu-based distro, and also an Arch-based distro.

Would you consider another spin?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Would You Consider Another Spin?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:28:53 pm »
Hi jimdunn, and welcome to the forum :)

If you mean with a different base, such as Arch .. Sorry, not at the current time .. but never say never.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:12:23 pm »
I bet we could live without Ubuntu if we spun off of Debian and Mint! ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »
Sure we *could* but we have no want, need, or plans to...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:04:04 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:38:50 pm »
The Ubuntu base works really well.  Sure Debian would work and be super stable.  It would probably be also really rough around the edges.  Rather like LMDE is.  I don't think Peppermint would have the same appeal.  With the Ubuntu source code, we have a slick, stable and polished based system to build upon.  We've access to all the cutting edge software in the Ubuntu repos.  With Debian, sure we'd have a something super stable.  We'd also be using ultra tested software that could be considered, ancient.  For some reason Debian based distros always feel unfinished.   A lot of spit and polish is needed to bring them up to speed.  This would put off the great bunch of Linux newbies we attract.  Lets face it, we've a lot of really happy and enthusiastic newcomers.  Much of this is because we're using the Ubuntu source code.  Don't get me wrong, I think Debian is awesome, especially if you use the Sid repos.  I think Ubuntu is a much better fit for the Peppermint mission and goals.  We're best sticking with the Ubuntu source code.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it  ;).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:08:34 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:58:19 pm »
For some reason Debian based distros always feel unfinished.

Simply that .. even Mints LMDE

Ubuntu polish the rough edges off Debian, and make it feel "finished" :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:02:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:09:43 am »
I bet we could live without Ubuntu if we spun off of Debian and Mint! ;)

If you mean Debian stable, I'd personally leave if Peppermint ever did that.  I'm not into apps that are so outdated that they no longer work properly, like you get with Debian stable.  As for Mint, it's based on Ubuntu, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by spinning off of them.  Linux Mint is a modification of the Ubuntu source code.  That's why Mint Cinnamon and Mate release about a month after Ubuntu.

Though, Peppermint has a root in Mint.  Kendall Weaver, the original Peppermint programmer and CTO, used to be the programmer for Mint LXDE, back when there was a Mint LXDE.  He left Mint to do his own distro, which effectively ended Mint LXDE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 05:57:23 am »
Good morning, scifidude79,

I was actually imagining Debian Testing and Mint Stable as sources of a possible base for Peppermint if, ever for some reason, Ubuntu were to collapse.  Although only rumors, I keep hearing that Canonical keeps losing money year after year after year.  If this is true, I don't see how Canonical can ultimately sustain itself.  The other rumor I hear is that Microsoft may have its eye on Canonical --if only to eat up its open source competition.  Could Canonical ever sell out to Microsoft?  Stranger things in the world of business have happened before.  Sometimes I wonder. :-\

perknh

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 06:34:59 am »
If it comes to Peppermint, then yes I would very much like a Peppermint spin which comes with a lot of applications and wallpapers pre installed. It will be helpful for people who lack a working Internet connection :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:25:01 am »
If it comes to Peppermint, then yes I would very much like a Peppermint spin which comes with a lot of applications and wallpapers pre installed. It will be helpful for people who lack a working Internet connection :)

Hello sk_sarma,

I read elsewhere in the forum that you're toying with the idea of creating your own personalized spin based off of Peppermint --but without Peppermint's branding. 

This is just an idea, sk_sarma, but you might like to take a look a SparkyLinux's default LXDE edition first.  They've packed a lot of programs into that speedy little Debian-based testing distro.  SparkyLinux's LXDE distribution, with the exception of its wallpapers, might help give you a few ideas for what to pack into your own personalized LXDE spin. ;)

As for wallpapers, try taking a look at http://wallpaperswide.com/.  You might find a few wallpapers to look at over there  --like only a zillion of them! ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 07:33:50 am »
Ignore anything you've read about Canonical being bought by Microsoft (these rumours have been popping up pretty much year on year forever), there are a million and one reasons why this would never happen .. the three main and obvious ones being:-

a) 99.9% of what Canonical do is open sourced .. Microsoft can (like anyone else) just TAKE it and use it for free  <-- that's the whole point of FOSS
and if the thinking was to buy the "good will" of Canonicals current user base and/or developers
b) 99.9% of those users would IMMEDIATELY jump ship, and Microsoft know this
and if the thinking was to acquire the "good will" of the developers that work for free for Canonical:
c) Hahahahahaha, yeah right ::)

There would be ZERO in it for Microsoft, they'd just be adding to their own competition and possibly even speed up the demise of Windows

If the thinking is that it would in some way "harm" Linux, they also know that's like trying to punch a shadow, there's either nothing solid to hit or you break your hand on the wall .. they have plenty of experience failing miserably at trying to bring down Linux.
(if they bought Canonical and shut down Ubuntu .. the same devs would just spring up elsewhere with a fork .. Newbuntu .. remember the code is freely available and Microsoft CANNOT make it disappear or limit a fork in any way)

If Microsoft want to do a Linux distro, they'd have no problem starting their own, in fact they've done a Unix clone before (before even Windows):-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:36:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:50:24 am »
Hi perknh, Thank you for your advice. I love wallpaperswide.com :) I was just wondering if it was possible but I found out that it's way more complicated that what I had thought. Besides considering the little knowledge that i possess, there is a big chance that something will go wrong. So I have dumped this idea :) :D and I came to know from PCNetSpec that Peppermint developers are already thinking about releasing another version of Peppermint with pre installed apps in their next release (PM 7). So I'm just waiting for PM7 :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 08:11:09 am »
@sk_sarma

I didn't say were ALREADY considering it, I said we will consider your suggestion .. that doesn't necessarily mean we'll do it though, let's not jump the gun, we haven't even talked about it yet ;)

@perknh

Quote from: perknh
I keep hearing that Canonical keeps losing money year after year after year.  If this is true, I don't see how Canonical can ultimately sustain itself

Canonical could probably become profitable tomorrow if they decided to concentrate on their Cloud and server offerings .. but that's not what Mark Shuttleworth is all about, he's a risk taking philanthropist/business man (who also likes the limelight Ubuntu gives him).

Can they afford to soak up the losses .. I read somewhere that their worst yearly loss to date was $10M .. if you consider Shuttleworth sold Verisign for $575M in 1999 (probably a LOT more in todays money), even if you ignore his other profitable business ventures such as Canonicals parent company Futuristic Limited, I doubt if Canonicals losses even dent the interest he receives on his "personal" fortune, so I guess Canonical/Ubuntu lasts as long as he wants it to with no real cost to his worth, whilst keeping him in the game as a player.

What do you think ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:19 am »
Sorry PCNetSpec, for misinterprating your statement. But whatever you guys do, I'll be happy with it. I understand that every request cannot be pondered upon :) Thanks

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
@sk_sarma

We think about everything in this forum.  That's why this is the coolest forum on the Web.  It's also why we have Google, Yahoo, Baidu, and a host of other spider guests combing our forum on a daily basis.  They're all trying to pick our brains.  Well, they didn't get much out of mine last night! ;D

@PCNetSpec

Okay, say Shuttleworth is worth at least a billion, and imagine he's only making 1% annually on his billion dollars.  At the very least, his losses at Canonical would be a wash.  Now, realistically, he would be making a lot more on his money per year than 1%.  So, no, in the big picture, Mr. Shuttleworth is still coming out ahead.  From what you've shared above, I say now, assuming these numbers are correct, your reasoning is sound.  So unless this man has some extreme, unanticipated, ghastly misfortune in life (which unfortunately can happen to anyone, rich or poor alike), I'd say that Ubuntu should be on sound enough financial footing for years to come --even with some meager losses. (Meager if you're a billionaire! ;))

Off topic:

For the record, I like Ubuntu, and its various flavors.  I even like most, but not all, of the people I've encountered in its forums.  I just don't like how its forum is structured.  I find it appalling that you can run Ubuntu for years, sign up to participate in its forums, and still never be considered a member.  I don't like that kind of structure at all.   I believe it creates a hostile, needlessly competitive environment that is antithetical to GNU/Linux and its open source philosophy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:04:04 am by perknh »