Choose style:

Author Topic: Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming  (Read 8669 times)

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:12:39 pm »
Hi Friends,

For months I've been interested in listening to old tales about Ubuntu's good ole days --back in the days of the Ubuntu's "fabled" Maverick 10.10 era.  Even the ghoulish Ubuntu Satanic Edition Live --which was based off of Maverick 10.10 is no longer supported.  So I guess the 10.10 days are gone forever, although it was an era of computing, and Ubuntu, that I'm sorry I missed.

Now, from reading about Ubuntu 14.10, I am assuming the future of Unity LTS will have a re-sizable panel again.  So maybe Unity is slowly moving in the right direction again for its users.  (I don't want to say that too loudly --in case the Unity development team hears of this and changes course. :-X)

Oh, that perennial rumor of Ubuntu selling out to Microsoft --now being called the "Ubuntu Conspiracy."  Sometimes I wonder what Peppermint, and all of the other Ubuntu derivatives, would do if this were to happen.  I imagine we, or they, would probably do just fine by branching off of Debian and Mint. :-\

The Ubuntu Conspiracy

By James Darvell of Linux Journal

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ubuntu-conspiracy

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:32:14 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:05:59 pm »
Fantastic article! thank you for sharing, perknh. If Microsoft ever acquires Canonical, they will surely kill the Ubuntu project or maybe, make it a paid OS :(

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 05:55:25 pm »
Thank you, sk_sarma.

I does sound like a nightmare scenario, doesn't it?  Fortunately, PCNetSpec, who has been following articles such as these for a years, has made a compelling argument to me as to why this scenario would most likely never take place.

PCNetSpec's reasoning as to why a Microsoft takeover of Canonical i unlikely can be found here:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2584.msg25330.html#msg25330

And here:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2584.msg25345.html#msg25345

Right now smart money goes on PCNetSpec being right, and Microsoft taking a hike! ;)

Needless to say, sk_sarma, I hope Microsoft stays far away from Canonical.  And thank you for reading, and commenting, upon the article I posted.  It is a sad and scary thought though, isn't it?  The whole idea of Microsoft eating up, and then spitting out Canonical, gives me the creeps. 

That really would be a real-life horror story in the always unpredictable world of business.

perknh

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:04:02 pm »
I think PCNetSpec has a solid point. However I didn't know that Canonical is actually losing a lot of money over Ubuntu :( I appreciate Canonical and their efforts.

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:33:07 pm »
I think PCNetSpec has a solid point. However I didn't know that Canonical is actually losing a lot of money over Ubuntu :( I appreciate Canonical and their efforts.

Yes, that was news to me too.  I wonder how much money Canonical is losing from Ubuntu's phone project. :-\

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:58:42 am »
Canonical should make Ubuntu phone OS similar to CyanogenMod. The Ubuntu ROMs should be released for all major phones. And all users can root their phones and flash the Ubuntu firmware. I think it will be a good start.

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:54:30 am »
Canonical should make Ubuntu phone OS similar to CyanogenMod. The Ubuntu ROMs should be released for all major phones. And all users can root their phones and flash the Ubuntu firmware. I think it will be a good start.

Do you think Canonical can break into the phone market now in any meaningful way?  I's love to have an Ubuntu phone, but everything I've read about them says "Don't Buy!'  Besides, I don't know if Ubuntu phones are sold in the U.S. yet.  I've never seen any here.  It's always "Android this, and Apple that" over here.

I'm one of the few people left in the U.S. that still has a dumb phone --and I'm actually happy about it! :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:21:08 am »
I really like the look of Ubuntu Phone (OS), from the little I've seen it makes iOS and Android look dated and ties in nicely with Ubuntu's Unity desktop .. problem is I don't like their Unity desktop on a PC, and nobody's explained how well it'll tie in with non Unity desktops (?)

But if I were in the market for a smartphone, I'd probably get one just to be different .. but I guess that half defeats the point of having one, and I so far haven't found any need for one.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:15 am »
From what it looks like, Ubuntu phones (it says two Ubuntu phones called Aquaris something) were released in India last year. I just went through this shopping site and I'm surprised to see some good reviews :o

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/bq-aquaris-e5-hd-ubuntu/682122279976

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:20:50 pm »
I really like the look of Ubuntu Phone (OS), from the little I've seen it makes iOS and Android look dated and ties in nicely with Ubuntu's Unity desktop .. problem is I don't like their Unity desktop on a PC, and nobody's explained how well it'll tie in with non Unity desktops (?)

If Unity were more customizable, and if we could remove that Scopes nonsense, tracking, and the overabundance of unnecessary programs, would you like Unity then?  If one could customize the panel, and get rid of all that extra junk, don't you think Unity would actually be a great desktop?

I know this might be like asking, if Unity were only completely different, wouldn't you just love it then? ;D 

My problem with Unity is with the panel, and my inability to clean out all those programs that all seem to be tied into one another.  I'd love to see what a lite and cusomizable Unity might be like.  You?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 02:39:42 pm »
and ditch Dash .. maybe, but then as you say it's no longer Unity is it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »
You know the more I look at Ubuntu, the more I think Xubuntu is actually Ubuntu's small and quiet masterpiece --not the Unity DE.

I know MATE is getting some well-deserved limelight these days, but pound for pound Xubuntu is Ubuntu's silent star within their lineup.  Problem is, few people have the patience to customize it, or check it out.  That Whisker Menu sure beats Dash, the panel is customization, and its LCD clock is the best around.

But who knows about Xfce --you, scifidude79, me, and only a handul of others.  Xfce is way more functional than the new Gnome shell.  I say Xfce needs a proper renaissance. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:03:14 pm by perknh »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 04:01:37 pm »
I'm not sticking up for the Unity DE.  Just saying...

The Canonical devs have been cutting cruft, the past year or so.  Sometimes I forget I'm using it.

Add the 'ClassicMenu Indicator' and you'll  have a... Classic Menu   ;)

Oh, yeah, 'the cube'.  No need to use the workplace switcher either...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:26:46 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 08:28:34 pm »
Hello VinDSL,

Well you sure are able to make Unity look nice.  You use your own conky in order to see the time, and the current weather conditions.  And you have a menu that actually works.

I take it that that is Wily Werewolf and not Trusty you are showing us here.  I ask because I recently took a trip down memory lane back to Precise Pangolin (12.04.5), but it seems that one cannot go back in time very well.  The experience didn't work out so well for me.  My computer moved like mud.

Oh, one other issue I have with Unity is how my computer heats up while running it.  But maybe with a classic menu, I could find a lot of unnecessary programs in order to remove them ---hence cooling things down a bit.

I like the wallpaper.  I'm assuming that that old dead tree was actually found in nature somewhere.  Very, very cool. :)

VinDSL, thank you for showing us what can be done with Unity with knowledge, experience, and imagination.  You're showing us that Unity is workable --and even on the desktop. ;)

Thank you for that.

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 09:33:09 pm »
Hi perknh, I also think Xubuntu is the star of the Ubuntu stable.  Mate is really nice and all.  It still worries me that it's being built on Gnome 2.  One has to ask, how long can Martin Wimpress and Co maintain it?  Xfce is also old, it just feels more robust.  Uncustomized, it's pig ugly for sure but with some spit and polish, it shines up beautifully.  Yeah, if I was running Ubuntu, it would have to be Xubuntu.  I also like the Whisker Menu and the LCD clock  ;).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:34:45 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.