Choose style:

Author Topic: Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming  (Read 8429 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 10:14:07 pm »
Nice customization, VinDSL

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 10:24:35 pm »
Thx!  It's just a Ubu test machine, but it's functional...

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:35 pm »
I take it that that is Wily Werewolf and not Trusty you are showing us here[...]

Yep, that's Wily Werewolf.  Pretty soon, it'll be something else.   ;D

I just toolchain it, every time they come out with a new dev branch...

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 01:00:46 am »
Just found this old Ubuntu 10.04 LTS DVD. I booted it up and saw it's working fine.

Guys, do y'all think MATE is a viable replacement for GNOME 2?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 02:58:20 am »
Hi sk_sarma, we had a discussion about this very subject back in November 2014.  You might find this thread interesting: http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1288.msg11284.html#msg11284  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 03:52:08 am »
Thanks Andy. Interesting discussion. :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:30 am »
Hi perknh, I also think Xubuntu is the star of the Ubuntu stable.  Mate is really nice and all.  It still worries me that it's being built on Gnome 2.  One has to ask, how long can Martin Wimpress and Co maintain it?  Xfce is also old, it just feels more robust.  Uncustomized, it's pig ugly for sure but with some spit and polish, it shines up beautifully.  Yeah, if I was running Ubuntu, it would have to be Xubuntu.  I also like the Whisker Menu and the LCD clock  ;).

No question about it, it is genuinely ugly when you first install it, but, boy, after a little customization it changes from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan. (Sorry I had to change species here, Andy; or my description of Xfce would have gone from pig ugly to a beautiful pork roast!)

You can't beat Xfce's whisker menu --which has a search function built into it too!  And it comes with an automatic desktop changer.  And, still, Xfce remains extremely light on resources --just a smidgen heavier than our LXDE-style DE. (And I really do mean a smidgen.)  I'd say Xfce, in general, and Peppermint's style of LXDE in particular, are, pound for pound, the best DEs in the world of LInux today. ;)

P.S.

I like Peppermint's style of menu better than MATE's.  I find things easier in Peppermint's style of menu.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:46:51 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 12:07:48 pm »
Hello everyone. I found this article is a bit old, but can be helpful.
https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »
We're fortunate here to have a great development team, so our LXDE-style DE and will be different than others, and we will always tend to have a DE that is light on system resources.  I feel that LXDE is easier to work with out of the box.  Xfce, on the other hand, demands more customization, but has a few attributes that most of us on the LXDE side of the ledger would not consider too excessive.

But, my goodness, I could cook French toast on my laptop while running Unity --my CPU usage skyrockets that much! (I learned why this was happening to my computer that last night after experimenting with Ubuntu's classic menu --thanks to VinDSL's tip.)  My problem with Unity is with CPU usage, not memory.  However, with either LXDE or Xfce, my computer runs considerably cooler than with Unity, or even with Cinnamon (which is so-so).  Fortunately, I have no CPU or memory problems with either the LXDE or the Xfce desktop environment. :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 01:55:57 pm »
According to this review, Peppermint consumes the lowest RAM among all top LXDE Distros (others being LXLE and Lubuntu). It also boots up quite fast :)

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.in/2014/07/peppermint-os-five-review-move-over.html

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »
According to this review, Peppermint consumes the lowest RAM among all top LXDE Distros (others being LXLE and Lubuntu). It also boots up quite fast :)

Peppermint 5 and Peppermint 6 are two of the best distributions I've ever seen in my life.  They're fast, stable, secure, light on system resources, and supported by experts.  Add to this that these distributions are free, and that the forums are both informative and fun. 

I really don't know now it can can get much better than this! ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 02:26:51 pm »

Peppermint 5 and Peppermint 6 are two of the best distributions I've ever seen in my life.  They're fast, stable, secure, light on system resources, and supported by experts.  Add to this that these distributions are free, and that the forums are both informative and fun. 

Well said :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »

Hi perknh,

You have nicely stated my reasons for using PeppermintOS as my workhorse distro. I've fooled around with many distros in the last 10-15 years. The only other distro I now have on my boxes is Arch -- installed via ArchBang some years ago. But it's not even close to PeppermintOS, in my opinion.

I started with, as I recall Peppermint ICE and your comment is the reason why I have stayed with it as my workhorse: The best distro I have ever seen/experienced, fast, stable, secure, light on system resources, supported by experts and the forums are informative, friendly and fun.

It's as simple as 1+1, if you ask me.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:09:18 pm by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 04:24:22 pm »
You have nicely stated my reasons for using PeppermintOS as my workhorse distro. I've fooled around with many distros in the last 10-15 years. The only other distro I now have on my boxes is Arch -- installed via ArchBang some years ago. But it's not even close to PeppermintOS, in my opinion.

I started with, as I recall Peppermint ICE and your comment is the reason why I have stayed with it as my workhorse: The best distro I have ever seen/experienced, fast, stable, secure, light on system resources, supported by experts and the forums are informative, friendly and fun.

It's as simple as 1+1, if you ask me.

Regards,

-- Slim

Hello sk_sarma and Slim.Fatz,

I agree with your observations here.

Peppermint Linux OS is my workhorse, my neighbors workhorse, and my wife's too.  For whatever reason(s), Peppermint Linux OS is still one of best kept secrets in the world of Linux. :-\  And, if the Windows folks only knew how good we were, we wouldn't be able to handle all the crowds rushing to us. 

Fortunately, we've dodged that bullet so far! :) 

I like us just the way we are. ;)

perknh

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 04:30:24 pm »
I am waiting for the day when this secret is unveiled. We will see an exodus of people from Windows to Peppermint ;)