Choose style:

Author Topic: linux mint, puppy and peppermint 6  (Read 2761 times)

Offline penda2015

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
linux mint, puppy and peppermint 6
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:25:45 pm »
Whats the difference between the systems in the subject? I know puppy is mainly for old machines but would it work well for a standard machine with 2 GB RAM, 64 bit, 3Ghz, 160 Gb HDD

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: linux mint, puppy and peppermint 6
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:45:11 pm »
Hi penda2015, how's it going  ;DPeppermint and Linux Mint are primarily designed to be installed on the computer's HDD/SSDPeppermint is classed as a lightweight, base distro.  This is because it utilizes for its desktop, LXDE and has a deliberate lack of pre-installed user software packages.  Linux Mint is considered a medium-lightweight to heavyweight distro because of its variety of desktop environments, (Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon and KDE).  It also has a rich selection of pre-installed user software packages.  Puppy Linux is classed as an ultra-lightweight distro.  It is primarily designed to be installed and run from a USB thumb drive, or similar.  This makes it suitable to run on older computers with limited memory.  Many Linux experts consider Puppy Linux as experimental or a hobbyist distro.  Be aware, Puppy Linux boots directly into ROOT rather than into a User account.  This makes it very vulnerable to user error and potentially increases it as a security risk.  Many seasoned Linux users, consider this default set up to be extremely reckless and irresponsible.  Puppy Linux should not be recommended to new users IMHO.  I hope this helps explain the differences  ;).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:50:01 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:15:53 pm »
Hello penda2015,

AndyInMokum's explanation of the these three distributions is excellent.  Thank you, AndyInMokum for such a clear explanation of the differences between the three distributions. :)

AndyInMokum, I can't remember whether or not Porteus would be considered a safer bet than PuppyLinux for penda2015.  Did Porteus boot directly into root too?  It's been such a long time since I played with Porteus, I can't remember. :-\

penda2015, it may be that you are now using Peppermint 5 or 6 these days, but have not updated your profile lately.  However, if you are still using Peppermint 4, I would urge you to make the leap to either Peppermint 5, or Peppermint 6.  Peppermint 4, wonderful distribution that it was, is not longer supported at all.  That makes Peppermint 4 an unnecessary security risk that is best avoided.  Besides that, Peppermint 6 is the best Peppermint distribution ever.  In my opinion, at least for my wife's and my own computer needs, I find Peppermint 6 to be a nearly flawless distribution! ;)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:59:45 pm »

"...AndyInMokum, I can't remember whether or not Porteus would be considered a safer bet than PuppyLinux for penda2015.  Did Porteus boot directly into root too?  It's been such a long time since I played with Porteus, I can't remember. :-\" -- perknh
Ah yes, Porteus, if you remember, they have that uber cool build your own custom Porteus ISO application.  You boot into a User account by default.  It's just as safe and secure as a standard Linux installation.  Porteus, Linux's answer to high octane drag racing  ;D!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:17:48 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline penda2015

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:54:12 am »
Excellent answer, thanks Andy. I recently acquired  a Linux collection of 8 Linux O/S's  including  Ubuntu, Fedora, PEARL, Mint, Kubuntu, Korora, Zorin, Bodhi. They were bought off Amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XZUMIAM/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Hi penda2015, how's it going  ;DPeppermint and Linux Mint are primarily designed to be installed on the computer's HDD/SSDPeppermint is classed as a lightweight, base distro.  This is because it utilizes for its desktop, LXDE and has a deliberate lack of pre-installed user software packages.  Linux Mint is considered a medium-lightweight to heavyweight distro because of its variety of desktop environments, (Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon and KDE).  It also has a rich selection of pre-installed user software packages.  Puppy Linux is classed as an ultra-lightweight distro.  It is primarily designed to be installed and run from a USB thumb drive, or similar.  This makes it suitable to run on older computers with limited memory.  Many Linux experts consider Puppy Linux as experimental or a hobbyist distro.  Be aware, Puppy Linux boots directly into ROOT rather than into a User account.  This makes it very vulnerable to user error and potentially increases it as a security risk.  Many seasoned Linux users, consider this default set up to be extremely reckless and irresponsible.  Puppy Linux should not be recommended to new users IMHO.  I hope this helps explain the differences  ;).

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:04:40 am »
As far as I know, Peppermint and Linux Mint are based on Debian and uses Ubuntu repositories (which in turn, is also based on Debian). Puppy is independent and has a lot of derivatives with different flavours. like there are puppy versions like Precise and Tahrpup which use Ubuntu repositories. And there are also Slacko (slackware), Archpup or AlphaOS (Arch Linux) etc. Puppy has certain derivatives which are meant for much newer PCs like FatDog64. What I like about puppy is that it is extremely lightweight and can be installed on a USB pen drive or a memory card and it has dozens of applications pre installed. App management is cool as well. You can easily install whatever is on Ubuntu repositories or Debian files or puppy specific packages in ".pet" and "sfs" :)

I used to use puppy from internal hard disk until yesterday but now I have decided to make it a USB bootable OS. Sometimes I have relatives and guests who want to browse the Internet from my PC and I hate to share my personal Peppermint with them. So I just plug in my USB drive, boot into puppy and let them use my PC. just remember to keep Internet apps on "spot" and everything they'll download will be restricted to a particular folder. :)

And thank you AndyInMokum for reminding me That PUPPY runs from the root and it has its own issues. Google Chrome Debian package doesn't work with puppy because of this root issue. Moreover if you create or copy a file into your internal hard disk using puppy, then you'll not be able to delete it on another OS like Peppermint because of root permissions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:10:20 am by sk_sarma »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 06:27:32 am »
Doesn't putting your relatives on a Puppy USB stick open your Peppermint install to taperring and security risks .. remember they are ROOT in Puppy so could inadvertently (or on purpose if they're say your wives family and don't like you ;)) delete Peppermint or wipe your whole HDD.

MUCH safer to bung them in a Peppermint "Guest" session .. where they only have "user" permissions, and anything they do will be wiped when they/you power down.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:31:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 06:40:26 am »
yes I was wondering how to hide my internal hard disks because if they delete something from my Peppermint partition by mistake, then I'm done! :(

PCNetSpec is right though. I do not have a wife until now but I still gotta be careful from certain "curious" guests with zero Linux knowledge .Curiosity killed the cat and I do not want to be that cat :P :D

But puppy can still be used if you ever mess up your grub by mistake or if you ever bet your HDD blown up ;D ;) Puppy has a grub4dos configuration tool :)