Author Topic: HP Deskjet F 4210  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Europigeons

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
HP Deskjet F 4210
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:33:58 am »
Hello,

I am new to Peppermint and linux but happy with it! One problem my HP Deskjet F4210 is not working. Can anyone help me out?

Yours,

Jan

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: HP Deskjet F 4210
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:28:28 am »
Hi Europigeons, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's good to have you aboard  ;D!!  For your HP printer,  you need to install hplip from the repository.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window:

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Code: [Select]
apt install hplip-guiHit enter.  Enter your user password when asked and hit enter again.  Now follow the on screen instructions.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

You'll find the, HPLIP Toolbox by navigating to: menu > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox.  Make sure your printer/scanner is connected to your computer and turned on.  You will be able to configure your printer/scanner from here.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;).

Further reading: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:17:12 am »
Hi Europigeons,

If you still have trouble, make sure that your installation has been updated to the newest state.

And, BTW, welcome to the Peppermint Forum!

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:17:25 am »
Also, after installing hplip-gui and doing everything else Andy mentioned, if the printer still isn't working, you may need to got to Menu > System Tools > Printers and hit the Add button and add the printer to your system configuration.  Usually, this isn't necessary with HP printers (I have two of them) but there are some that are more finicky than others and this step is necessary with some of them.  As with anything, experiences will vary.   :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:57:59 am »
If you still have trouble, make sure that your installation has been updated to the newest state.

Hi Europigeons,

I guess I should add how you do this: open a terminal and enter this command:

sudo apt-get update
which will update your list of software sources to the most recent state. Then run this command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get upgrade
which  applies any upgrades to your system's installed software. In case there are any new kernel versions out there you can also upgrade the current used kernel with this command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
which also upgrades old software with the newest version that is in the repository for Peppermint Six. If there are any new kernel versions, you will need to reboot your system to use the newly installed kernel version. For other software updates you do not need to reboot. If the software is running then just stop it and then restart it -- the new version will then be started.

The reason for doing these things is not just to get security patches to keep your system safe, but also -- especially in your case -- to get any new software fixes (for example: for your printer -- in case there are any).

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:00:58 am by Slim.Fatz »
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome