Author Topic: Access files from windows partitions: dual boot Win10/PM6 - single HD (SOLVED)  (Read 2496 times)

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM6
Hello again,

I was on a flight with no wifi and no entertainment. So I starred at the front seat for about an hour then remember that I have a few old movies I download in Win. So I booted to PM6 since it's pretty much all I use now, but I couldn't find the windows partition in File Manager.  And I was stuck with no internet so there's nothing I can do other than yelling on the plane to see who knows Linux (and a good chance for me to be restrained) or boot to Windows.  I choose the ladder. It was painful.

Now I am back in the 21st century. Can I get some help on how to see and access the Windows Partition from PM6?

Thank you all.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:48:05 am by madentaiwn »
New to the linux world

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Access files from windows partitions (dual boot Win10/PM6 - single HD)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:32:00 pm »
Well, I found the Windows Partition.  It is label OS, in file manager, under "Devices".

However, when I try to open OS, I get the following error

Code: [Select]
Unable to mount OS

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/fobster/OS: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/fobster/OS"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:50:38 pm by AndyInMokum »
New to the linux world

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:42:16 pm »
It looks to me like Windows was hibernated and not shut down.  When you hit "Hibernate," your machine's running state is saved to the HD and the machine is powered off, so that you can turn it back on and resume where you were later.  It looks like the file manager won't mount the NTFS partition because it was turned off this way.  To correct this, reboot into Windows and shut it down properly using the "Shut Down" command, rather than "Hibernate."  Once you do, turn it back on and boot up Peppermint and then mounting it should work.  I have no experience with Windows 10, but I've mounted NTFS Windows system partitions in the past with no issues. 

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:03:06 pm »
Hi madentaiwn, could you please remember to encapsulate terminal outputs with the Insert, Code # function.  For extra long outputs, please use the Spoiler, Sp function.  It preserves the original format of the output.  This makes it easier for future visitors to relate to their own issues.  These functions are found in the forum editor, above the,  :-[ Embarrassed and  the :'( Cry emoticon respectively.  I've done this for you this time - many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:42:03 am »
It looks to me like Windows was hibernated and not shut down.  When you hit "Hibernate," your machine's running state is saved to the HD and the machine is powered off, so that you can turn it back on and resume where you were later.  It looks like the file manager won't mount the NTFS partition because it was turned off this way.  To correct this, reboot into Windows and shut it down properly using the "Shut Down" command, rather than "Hibernate."  Once you do, turn it back on and boot up Peppermint and then mounting it should work.  I have no experience with Windows 10, but I've mounted NTFS Windows system partitions in the past with no issues.

Hello Scifidude79,

I was sure that I did shutdown Windows when I exit it. I booted back to windows and made sure I selected shotdown but still had the same error.  Do I need to  update GRUB?  I updated Win from 7 to 10 but GRUB still says (Win7 bootable recovery).  I ran the commands to update grub but it didn't help. It still shows up as Windows 7

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

Hi madentaiwn, could you please remember to encapsulate terminal outputs with the Insert, Code # function.  For extra long outputs, please use the Spoiler, Sp function.  It preserves the original format of the output.  This makes it easier for future visitors to relate to their own issues.  These functions are found in the forum editor, above the,  :-[ Embarrassed and  the :'( Cry emoticon respectively.  I've done this for you this time - many thanks  ;).

Hello Andy,

Sorry, I thought the tags were used specifically for Terminal outputs.  It didn't occur to me to use it since it was a popup error.  I can use it next time.
New to the linux world

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:21:09 am »
Try booting into Windows, then run a file system check (chkdsk), once that's complete .. boot back into Peppermint and see if it will mount the Windows partition.

This is a Linux safety measure where it won't mount (read/write) a Windows partition flagged as either "dirty" or "hibernated" .. so it doesn't exacerbate any Windows file system errors, which are best off being dealt with by Windows it self.

you can use Linux to "clean" the Windows file system, or force the mount .. but it's best to use Windows to fix it's own file system. ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:23:28 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 04:34:03 am »
No problem, the forum editor functions used confuse me too  ;D.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 05:08:56 pm »
Try booting into Windows, then run a file system check (chkdsk), once that's complete .. boot back into Peppermint and see if it will mount the Windows partition.

This is a Linux safety measure where it won't mount (read/write) a Windows partition flagged as either "dirty" or "hibernated" .. so it doesn't exacerbate any Windows file system errors, which are best off being dealt with by Windows it self.

you can use Linux to "clean" the Windows file system, or force the mount .. but it's best to use Windows to fix it's own file system. ;)

Hello PCNetSpec,

I ran the file check tool and the defrag tool, twice.  Windows now boots a little faster, but I am still getting the same error in PM6.  Is it possible to mount the Windows Partition as read only as the error code suggested.  Will that cause any major issues?

Thank you.
New to the linux world

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:52:59 am »
disable "hybrid boot" (aka. "Fast Startup) in windows 10
http://www.kapilarya.com/enable-or-disable-hybrid-boot
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thanks!  That did the trick.   :D

New to the linux world

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
You're welcome .. thanks for marking the topic (SOLVED) :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec