Choose style:

Author Topic: help needed with website development (SOLVED)  (Read 4151 times)

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
Re: help needed with website development
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
Hi Mark,
I am seriously considering giving up this project and using the standard Wordpress setup. ie. using Wordpress.org and buying the site name and setting it up on there.
I went back to page 5 of taskell and entered the details that were asked for in the config file sheet,(the bit you sorted for me last night), but when I press continue, it says I will have to create the wp-config.php file manually, When I enter /var/www/ the file wp-config-sample doesn't allow me to change anything. I don't have owners permission ? When I try to write a new doc I don't have permissions for that either, it is very frustrating after reading through these tutorials and thinking how simple it was.
Should I continue with this ? I feel very frustrated at the moment and leaving it for a while may help, I have a week in Blackpool next week maybe a restart after that will help ?

take care
Don W

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:10 pm »
You can't alter ANYTHING on your system ANYWHERE other than in your home folder without elevated privileges .. this is one of the reasons Linux is so secure.

open /var/www with elevated privileges....

either

a) Navigate to /var then right-click on the "www" directory and select "Open as root" .. then work in that window.

or

b) run:
Code: [Select]
gksudo nemo /var/www
to open the Nemo file manager directly at that location with elevated privileges .. then work in that window
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 03:23:51 pm »
Thanks again Mark,
I have installed the various assets needed to run my website on this computer and it all seems to be working (so far).
I may have a look at SMF Simple Machines for advice on setting up a members forum.
I will mark this solved as you have effectively installed the website I needed, I will now try and set up the theme etc. that I want.
I may be back with some questions as the site develops but I reckon Wordpress has a pretty good helpline and any problems will be caused by me pressing the wrong key.

take care
Don W

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: help needed with website development (SOLVED)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:01 pm »
OOOps,
I am sorry about this Mark, but I hit trouble almost immediately.
I am sure I must have a note of the information needed but can't find it.
I have been looking round and everything is ok as per the book.
The first thing to do is update the Wordpress version and it asks a couple of questions, the first one being
hostname ?   'To perform the requested action, Wordpress needs to access your Web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember you credentials, you should contact your web host.'
I thought I was using 'localhost' but it seems I am not. ? What next ? I really am sorry about all this work I am creating for you, can you help (again)

take care
Don W

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 07:18:57 pm »
If I'm understanding what you're trying to do (update wordpress from inside wordpress) you can't because your webserver has no external connection.

you'd need to either set up an ftp server, forward the ports through your router, and either have a static external IP, use a dynamic DNS service, or use your external IP after obtaining it from somewhere like whatsmyip.com

or do the update via http.

BUT

a) Why are you trying to update wordpress when you installed the latest version directly from wordpress.org anyway
and
b) I *think* whatever you're reading may be out of date anyway .. wordpress now updates from within wordpress itself via http.

If you go to
http://localhost/wp-admin/update-core.php
if there are any updates it'll offer them to you, but the latest is 4.3.1 which is what you already have
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:22:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 06:02:14 am »
Thanks Mark,
You are entirely correct.
In the 'Dashboard' I have a notification that I need to update Wordpress and I need to update the 'Akismet' plugin.
I will ignore these messages for now and continue with the book. I just want to play around and get a feel for the process.
Thanks again for some invaluable help.

take care
Don W
EDIT First thing I try in Dashboard and it comes up again with the ' Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed'
This time I am trying to load a theme and I just get the same response as the last problem. I have checked out some forums and I may have a problem of my own making. When I created the database to load Wordpress I used root as my user name  :-[ I hoped to change it later but it didn't let me, in some circumstances 'root' creates a problem. I will dig further and see what I can find.
I have the information from whatsmyip.com but haven't worked out how to use it yet.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:41:21 am by donwatson »

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 10:12:20 am »
Hi Mark,
I found this and wondered if it was safe ?

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Hi everyone, some days ago I ran into the same problem when I was installing my first WordPress server under Linux Ubuntu Server 12. As many of you, I tried some procedures with no good results so I'd like to share how I fixed this issue:
1.- Be sure that you have installed and configured 'vsftpd' in order to be able to FTP your server:
sudo apt-get install vsftpd

2.- Edit your vsftpd.conf file in order to disable anonymous connections and allowing your user to upload files to your server:
sudo gedit /etc/vsftpd.conf
By default anonymous connections are allowed. So, you should change the following line and have it in this way:
anonymous_enable=NO
Also, by default, local system users are not allowed to login to FTP server. To change this setting, you should uncomment the following line:
#local_enable=YES
In the same way, users are allowed to download files from FTP server, but they are not allowed to upload files to FTP server. To change this setting, you should uncomment the following line:
#write_enable=YES
Save the changes made and start the vsftpd daemon running the following command:
sudo /etc/init.d/vsftpd start

3.- If you noticed.. your /var/www/wordpress folder (also files and sub-folders) by default owns to root, so you have to change the ownership to you be able to modify, add, delete files into the
Wordpress folder: (substitute 'username' by the user name you are using in linux)
sudo chown -R username wordpress

If you don't want WordPress ask for FTP details every time you install or delete plugins, add this lines into your /var/www/wordpress/wp-config.php file:

define('FTP_HOST', 'localhost');
define('FTP_USER', 'your_linux_Username');
define('FTP_PASS', 'Your_linux_password');

And that's it!!! If someone have questions regarding this procedure please write me at victoraboytes69@gmail.com
Thks   
[close]
EDIT Mark, I have 2 instances of Wordpress running here, I think. I can start it up and get differing opening pages, and one instance I can load themes etc. with no problem and the other keeps throwing these error 21 can't connect to FTP server ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:26:56 pm by donwatson »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 02:38:21 pm »
The one I told you to install shouldn't want updating because it should already have been the latest version.

Don, I really don't want to get tied into a whole topic about wordpress or any other applications .. they're not Peppermint specific, and should really be dealt with on their own forums.
Wordpress has a GREAT forum.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 04:03:46 pm »
Thanks Mark,
This involves a bit more than I thought.
I did check out some forums today and found some useful stuff so I will let this one go.
Thanks for all your help.

take care
Don W
PS I am off to start another thread :-[