Choose style:

Author Topic: I feel dirty  (Read 10284 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: I feel dirty
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2015, 11:57:57 am »
Bill Gates has been slowly but surely jumping ship for quite some time now (he's a smart businessman and saw the writing on the wall) .. he's been selling Microsoft shares by the hundreds of millions over the last few years and buying into big pharma .. conning people he's gone all philanthropic, when it's really just about screwing money outa peoples health miseries.

So I seriously doubt that if anything happens to Microsoft it'll bother him much. :o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:01:52 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 02:15:27 pm »
Yeah, I read about "Melinda Gates Foundation" and named after his wife. For them, the first step towards human welfare should be to dump Windows completely.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 09:49:28 am »
Yeah, Bill is literally a genius.  He scored a 1590 on his SAT (out of 1600.)  Aside from his programming skills, he's also an incredibly smart and cunning businessman.  After all, he'd have to be to have gotten every major PC manufacturer but one to use the Windows OS.  That was a genius business move.  Somebody that smart knows when it's time to pack up and move on.

Microsoft won't die quickly, nor would something like Linux push it out of business.  I'm not saying that Linux couldn't kill Windows, but it won't kill Microsoft.  After all, Microsoft still has its XBOX consoles and other products it makes.  Even if they stopped making Windows, they could still run a software devision making their other software and games.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:51 am »
Makes me wonder whether Playstation is already taking the lead in console business. Isn't Playstation OS based on FreeBSD? :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 09:41:45 am »
Yes, it's based on a customized version of FreeBSD.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 12:09:08 pm »
Open source is the future of everything. Seeing how Android has turned out to be a growing "gaming" platform, there will be an Android console in a few years, giving a tough fight to likes of playstation And Xbox. I know it's not primarily a gaming OS but there are a lot of good console quality games on android. :)

And needless to say, seeing how steam has started bringing games for Linux and some other gaming companies are releasing games for Linux, Linux will rule the gaming PC market too. I'm really looking forward to this happening in the coming future :)

But Scifidude79, I do agree with you that even if all hell breaks loose on Microsoft, they'll never go out of business. They will think of something else or probably, choose the open-source way :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:38 am »
There's already an Android console, but it didn't give the PS4 or XBOX One runs for their money because it's too underpowered.  But, it also sold for only $99 USD.  However, it will be interesting to see what they do for the second version.  Anyway, this is it:

https://www.ouya.tv/

Then there are also the Steam Machines due out next month.  It will be interesting to see what kind of splash they make on the gaming community.  While they're quite a bit pricier than the current generation consoles, you can also get ones that are more powerful and some are even upgradeable, something you can't really do with a console.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
Yes I have seen that console. even the Android Tablet (Micromax Funbook) that I used to have in 2012, came with a MHL port which can be easily connected to any LED TV. Some custom ROMs support USB gaming joysticks. So it was kinda like a gaming console too. Games like PES, FIFA, FRONTLINE COMMANDO, SHADOWGUN, NOVA, DEAD TRIGGER etc.  worked like charm :)

That's a great news. :) I have a strong feeling that the ability to upgrade will give steam a big push ahead in the race of gaming consoles. NVIDIA is also doing a great job in bringing Android gaming consoles. I saw a video from an American tech expo last year where Nvidia announced a mobile chipset called" Tegra k1" which they claim to bring PC quality gaming to Android devices. The NEXUS 9 already sports this chipset :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 03:29:03 pm »
Steam is also pushing this Steam Link thing (sold by them, naturally) that you can hook up to your TV and link to your computer running Steam.  With that and a compatible controller, you can play the games on your TV like you're playing them on a console, but they're really running on your computer.  Of course, the bad thing about that setup is that 1. it will likely use up all of your WIFI bandwidth and 2. you can't use your computer for something else while you're playing.  I personally like to start a CGI render going and play video games while it's rendering, which you can't do with that setup.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:34:27 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
That is so cool. Although Steam Link has another drawback. The maximum frame rate is 30 fps.

Let's also not forget that this is Valve's one of the earliest attempts into the hardware market. :) Later versions will take care of issues in the first one ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2015, 10:17:53 am »
Anybody remember what the original topic of this thread was?  :P

My issue with all of the Steam hardware except the controller is that it's nothing I can't do more cheaply.  If I want a computer hooked up to my TV, I'll just hook one up.  No Steam Link needed.  My TV has a VGA port and the latest graphics cards have HDMI.  If I wanted a small, under the TV system, I could just build one.  The parts are all available and, as always, I could build a better one for cheaper.  The lower end Steam Machines may have about the same hardware specs as the current gen consoles, but they won't play many newer games.  You have to spend big bucks to get one that will play new titles with great graphics.  Plus, mine would be fully upgradeable.  I could just put Peppermint on it and install Steam and set it to run at startup in Big Picture mode.  Boom, there's your Steam Machine.  Though, one of the drawbacks to using the Steam Machine (or an equivalent custom built machine) will still be the entertainment aspects.  While things like VLC and whatnot will always be available, sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. have issues on Linux, due to things on their end.  Plus, sites like Hulu will work, but you have to use Firefox, which sucks for Chrome users.  And, Linux still can't play Blu-Rays, though the Steam Machines don't have drives anyway, but an external one could be hooked up.  As a "total entertainment" system, I think the XBOX One actually still has the edge there.  It can do all of those things easily.  The PS4 apparently has issues in the area of what media formats it will play.  So, I'm leaning towards the XBOX One, once I can save up some money to buy one.  I was talking with a dude at work about the Microsoft Privacy Agreement and he thinks Sony has something similar with the "we can use your data however we want" bit.  Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2015, 10:29:30 am »
sites like Hulu will work, but you have to use Firefox, which sucks for Chrome users.

Hmm .. kinda makes you think that a steam box, able to run these things "apparently" natively (and transparently)  via a FF/Chrome SSB would be a good idea doesn't it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:39:10 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2015, 10:37:25 am »
Hmm .. kinda makes you think that a steam box, able to run these things "apparently" natively (and transparently)  via a FF/Chrome SSB would be a good idea doesn't it.

Oh yeah, it totally could.  In fact, I was having an "argument" with some tool on the Steam forums some months back about this, after news of the Steam Machines first dropped.  This individual was all like "It can't do Netflix, it can't do this and that."  I was like "Yeah, it can," and I brought up how all you have to do is install Chrome and create an app for it and then add said app to the Steam dashboard using the "add a non Steam app" feature.  Of course, then the tool started in on how the average user doesn't want to drop down to a desktop and do that kind of work.  But, who knows?  Valve may even be smart enough to include that kind of feature automatically with SteamOS.  It's still in Beta with the final version due out next month, so nobody really knows what it will have by default.  But, you just can't tell console fanboys things like that.  He was probably a Windows user too, because his attitudes were very anti Linux, and seemed to stem from the typical M$ "you can't do this and that" propaganda.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2015, 10:41:26 am »
That was really my point .. Steam is extensible and AFAIK open source, there's no reason someone else couldn't do a "Steam+" version with already created SSB's.
(or Valve could do it .. Ice is open sourced after all, and it's not as though it's difficult to use)

Then there's the potential of "Electron" apps:
https://gareth.bult.co.uk/2015/10/08/electrons-n-stuff/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:47:29 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2015, 10:45:55 am »
Steam isn't open source, it's just free to download and use.  It's proprietary.  In fact, you have to agree to their license when installing.  However, you're not wrong in that someone could do a custom version of Linux that's similar to SteamOS with a bunch of features added by default.

Though, I did just realize one big snag in the whole thing where you could have Steam preinstalled with "extras" like web apps for Netfilix, etc. added.  Steam doesn't include anything by default with it, you have to sign into your account and add games, software, etc.  So, that probably wouldn't work unless Valve coded it to add that stuff.  :(