Choose style:

Author Topic: I feel dirty  (Read 10433 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: I feel dirty
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 10:42:08 am »
We haven't even compared RAM usage and Memory consumption yet.

Peppermint iso file = around 500 MB
windows (7 or later) = around 3.5 GB

GIMP and LibreOffice do more than what MSoffice and Photoshop can do.

MS Office + Photoshop = around 2 GB and cost a lot

Libre office + GIMP = around 200 MB and cost nothing

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 10:46:01 am »
Yeah, I've been using Gimp since 2006, when it was suggested to me on a 3D forum because I can't afford PS.  (and, now, don't want it)  It's a very powerful piece of software.  The main problem with it is when you get those longtime PS users who try it and can't figure out what is where and what tool does the equivalent to what they did in PS, so they say it's not as good and switch back to PS.  ::)  There actually used to be a variation called Gimpshop that Gimp with more of a PS-style layout, but I don't know if it's still developed.  I never used it because I never used PS and think standard Gimp is awesome.  :D

I've been using LibreOffice since the beginning, I was using OpenOffice before that.  To me, it's very similar to MS Works, which I used for years and even took a class on in high school.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 10:53:03 am »
True Scifidude79. Besides, when an average computer user goes to buy a PC (generally assembled),  the guys at the computer shop don't even mention "Linux". All they say is "ok so you need to pay xyz extra for Windows". because they know they can earn a few pennies by installing windows. sometimes they even charge extra for the Antivirus

And yeah Linux is the kernel, but an ordinary windows user has no idea of what a "kernel" is :p Most of the time, people hear the word "Linux" is when there is a news about some supercomputer which runs Linux :D

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 10:56:25 am »
When I first switched from Windows to Linux, I was afraid whether GIMP would ever do the same tasks that i did on Photoshop. And now I'm more than happy with it. I used to think GIMP was named after the character in "Pulp fiction" :P lol Then I saw it actually stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program (smart name)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »
I've never used Photoshop so I can't in all honesty say how it compares to Gimp, but I do use Gimp a lot and if I continued to use it for another 100 years I don't think I'd ever use or understand all it's functions

so for my needs which mainly consist of cropping, picture enhancement and some creative stuff Gimp is more than capable and I honestly can't see how Photoshop could do any more for me in fact I've never came across anything I wanted to do that Gimp couldn't do for me so if anyone pays 1000.00 for Photoshop to do work Gimp can do just as well that says more about the individual than the software.

But recently I've been working a lot with Darktable and it is an amazing powerful piece of software and the more i use it the more I'm realizing just how amazing it is and the real beauty is that it's not available in Windows and I hope it never is because i've read on forums where some guys have migrated to Linux just so they can have Darktable

Darktable is under constant development and shaping up to be a serious application and just might turn out to that killer application that could turn many users over to Linux

Graeme
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:27:00 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »
I was unaware of Darktable. thanks for the info, Graeme. Sounds like a software I gotta use

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 01:28:04 am »
Gimp is extremely powerful.  I'm not going to say I use or understand every one of its tools, but I find it to be very powerful.  I use it extensively in my CGI.  I do everything from making texture maps with it to space backgrounds and other things for images.  And, it's good for post work, adding finishing touches to images.  It has lots of extremely powerful tools that compare in results to what I see people post that was done in Photoshop.  And, it has the best price tag you can get.  :)

And yeah Linux is the kernel, but an ordinary windows user has no idea of what a "kernel" is :p Most of the time, people hear the word "Linux" is when there is a news about some supercomputer which runs Linux :D

My first computer had Windows 98 (original, not SE) on it and it had a lot of BSODs because of some problem with the kernel, which they called Kernel32.  I never knew what Kernel32 was, I just knew it messed up a lot.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 02:06:27 am »
I mostly use GIMP for photo editing mostly. I found it to be doing everything I have ever wanted to do with PS. GIMP is undoubtedly, the Photoshop killer ;)

My first PC ran windows 98 too :) And the high school I studied in had Windows 98 computers where I learnt the basics of computing. Even now, most schools and colleges have Windows as their operating system. Many years ago, when my dad used to take computer classes in a local institute, they were teaching DOS. It's sad to see that most people are deprived of Linux knowledge.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 02:42:50 am »
Yeah, the GIMP is the business.  The only area it can't compete with Photoshop easily is with CMYK colour management.  Once someone manages to successfully implement this, GIMP will be a true alternative to Photoshop.  As long as your happy working with RGB, GIMP is a great tool.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:02 am »
There actually used to be a variation called Gimpshop that Gimp with more of a PS-style layout,

I'm trying to get a handle on Photoshop ATM (on my sons Mac and simply for the pixel bender plugin), and non of the functions are in the same place or called the same .. maybe Adobe need to do a "Photogimp" version :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 09:32:49 am »
Good luck with that.  I'm sure Adobe doesn't give a crap if you like their software or not, as long as you buy it, and probably barely acknowledges Gimp.  (if at all)  I'm sure they're under the mistaken impression that people need their software.  Though, the problem is that a lot of people probably think they need it too.  With a lot of 3D artists, Gimp is a dirty word, even though I'm sure many of them could find the same functions they have in PS for free in Gimp.  Though, there are a lot of photo editing programs out there.  There are way more of those than there are programs like AfterEffects and some of the other stuff Adobe makes.  My first taste of photo editing was a program called Photo Deluxe, and a program called Image Folio.  They came with a scanner I bought in '98 or '99.

The only version of Photoshop I've ever used is the mobile one, and only because it came with my tablet.  Though, truthfully, I'm not impressed.  I don't know if it's more limited than the PC version, which I'm sure it is, or if editing photos on a tablet just sucks.

And the high school I studied in had Windows 98 computers where I learnt the basics of computing.

Lucky.  We had Windows 95.  In the one class I had, the teacher told us right at the beginning she wasn't quite "up to speed" on Win95.  The teacher.  Didn't know Win95. In 1997.  ::)  Anywho, that was my first taste of computing, then I bought my first computer on Black Friday 1998.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:34:45 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 10:10:32 am »
My first taste of photo editing was a program called Photo Deluxe

Deluxe Paint .. on the Amiga :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 10:48:45 am »
Lucky.  We had Windows 95.  In the one class I had, the teacher told us right at the beginning she wasn't quite "up to speed" on Win95.  The teacher.  Didn't know Win95. In 1997.  ::)  Anywho, that was my first taste of computing, then I bought my first computer on Black Friday 1998.

I never got to use Windows 95. But I witnessed the era when 98 was replaced with "ME" and then our school had to buy new computers for running XP  ::) Those were some good old memories. I liked the themes on 98. There was this underwater theme which would even make the curser look like a scuba diver and the boot on-boot off sound effects like flowing water  :D :P Still, Windows was never safe. I still remember once a computer at my dad's printing press (which was running Windows 98)  not turning on normally and instead the whole screen turning black with green letters all over that read "Hitechmate" or something. He had to pay the computer repair guy a lot of money for removing the virus and for an antivirus software. I wish we still had the printing press. I would have tried to run the entire press on Linux  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 11:04:29 am »
I never got to use Windows 95.

Don't feel shortchanged.  Win95 was a pretty big turd.  It wasn't quite as bad as ME, but it wasn't great either.  Win98 was almost a big turd too, but the second edition actually made it one of my favorite Windows operating systems.  To me, it's second behind XP.

See, Windows tends to skip the "even" numbers as far as good versions.  Windows 3.1 was the first and I hear it was good, Windows 95 was the second and it sucked.  98 was third and it was good (again, because of the SE) an ME was four, and it sucked completely.  XP great, Vista sucked, 7 was great, 8 sucked.  Win10 is *technically* the ninth version, but the jury is out on that one so far.  Microsoft may finally have an odd numbered turd.  I don't know firsthand because I'll never use it unless I absolutely have to.  Even those computers I was using at work had Windows 7 on them, not 10.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:59 am »
You made a great analysis :D It is undoubtedly, true! It's actually ridiculous that such a big billion-dollar tech giant invests millions of dollars just to produce crap like Windows 8 (and the other even versions)!

If all major third party developers start making apps for Linux, Microsoft will go bankrupt in just 5 years and Billy would be seen selling tacos outside Canonical's office lol :P