Choose style:

Author Topic: I feel dirty  (Read 10244 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: I feel dirty
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 03:22:25 pm »
:) .. it's all good my mate .. I just generally let people rant about Windows if they choose...

There's a lot of use cases where Windows is a better fit than Linux, but I also understand why most people arrived here (myself included) ;)

Besides which I'm sure Microsoft can take it otherwise they wouldn't have released Windows 10 .. sorry, couldn't resist :))
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:27:21 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 03:33:46 pm »
Can't reply as I am ignoring these posts....

Unsuccessfully - I might add  :-\
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »
LOL :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 06:38:48 pm »
You guys do realize this thread was a joke, right?  Get a sense of humor.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 06:51:36 pm »
Dunno why, I 'literally' feel as though I've been dragged through the mud when I administer Windows now .. it's just so bogged  down and inflexible in everything it does .. I feel a genuine sense of relief when I can get off the damn thing.

OK that's more from an admin perspective than a 'users', but then I don't 'use' it any more.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:09:31 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 06:56:03 pm »
You guys do realize this thread was a joke, right?  Get a sense of humor.
It's the, "Windows Effect".  It takes the fun out of computing  :'(!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 07:07:18 pm »
Windows is GREAT if you're not the one that has to fix it, or update it, or keep on top of the licensing/auditing, or bend it to a certain task, or.........

But from an admin perspective it's horrid.

If you're a home user, so both user and admin, you'd better like roller coaster rides or enjoy REGULARLY paying someone else for the admin (and/or buying new PC's which these days comes with its own peculiar admin tasks .. removing all the ****ware that comes preinstalled so it doesn't crawl along from the get-go).

Maybe just my experience (not an 'opinion', experience), but that's how I feel about it  :-X <-- I know that's a "lips sealed" emoticon but it also looks like he's about to barf

[EDIT]

Can you tell I've had a rough few days with other peoples Windows systems lately ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:26:07 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline s4w3d0ff

• Spray and Pray
    • View Profile
    • Github
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7even 64bit UEFI
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »
If only I could play Battlefield 4 on Linux  :'(

Its probably the only use I have for Windows.
Linuxize IT!
BTC: 15D8VaZco22GTLVrFMAehXyif6EGf8GMYV

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »
Both Windows and Linux have their own pros and cons. However I prefer Linux and imho, Linux is much better than Windows. we should also remember how much money is invested by Microsoft on Windows and that we have to "buy" it.  Linux on the other hand, is free and we don't even pay anything for it. There is a lot of other stuff regarding security and protection from malware that gives Linux a leading edge compared to Windows. It is obvious why Microsoft has turned towards Linux for their cloud based OS named "Azure" :) have a nice weekend everyone ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 09:41:45 am »
Both Windows and Linux have their own pros and cons. However I prefer Linux and imho, Linux is much better than Windows. we should also remember how much money is invested by Microsoft on Windows and that we have to "buy" it.  Linux on the other hand, is free and we don't even pay anything for it. There is a lot of other stuff regarding security and protection from malware that gives Linux a leading edge compared to Windows. It is obvious why Microsoft has turned towards Linux for their cloud based OS named "Azure" :) have a nice weekend everyone ;)

Very well said.  And, yes, that first sentence is definitely the truth.  One of the biggest pros of Windows is the software available for it that you can't get anywhere else.  If you need to run something and you can't get it for anything else, then Windows is the thing to have.  I'm sure those training things I was doing on the computer (that are well behind me, thank goodness) would only work in Windows.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 10:07:15 am »
Did you guys know that you never buy Windows?  What you're really doing is paying to lease it.  How's that for adding insult to injury? ::)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 10:16:49 am »
Exactly! Windows is a bad operating system with excellent app support (by third party developers). And we also cannot ignore the fact that still, most people don't even know what Linux is. Even if they have heard that "Linux is some operating system", they tend to think it's an OS for geeks and experts :D The best way to explain to an average computer user (mostly running Windows on their machines) is to tell them about Android and explain them how they are already using Linux and they don't even know.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 10:23:07 am »
Mathematically,

Cost of (Windows + Antivirus Software + MS office) + time for installing drivers and setting up everything >> Cost of your entire PC

:P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 10:25:21 am »
Damn .. you must have one hell of a PC if you needed to throw Office in there too ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 10:39:45 am »
Most people run whatever comes with the computer because they lack the technical knowledge or will to change it.  In fact, that was probably why M$ rolled out Windows 10 as an "upgrade."  People see the word upgrade and think they can do it.  If they think they have to install a complete OS, (which they do anyway) they think it's beyond their skill.

Even if they have heard that "Linux is some operating system", they tend to think it's an OS for geeks and experts :D

Which isn't even true because Linux is an OS Kernel, not an OS, but that's splitting hairs and really doesn't address the point you're making.  ;)