Choose style:

Author Topic: Updated kernel and now won't boot- nvidia problems  (Read 1117 times)

Offline s4w3d0ff

• Spray and Pray
    • View Profile
    • Github
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7even 64bit UEFI
Updated kernel and now won't boot- nvidia problems
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:04:21 pm »
So I started with: http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2453.msg24098.html#msg24098

Then I continued to play with it mostly because I was noticing other things here and there going wrong, all involving nvidia. Some programs were seeing nvidia and some were not.

So I  went to the Update Manager and choose a different driver (this time back to nvidia-346) but after a reboot the system only gets as far as the Peppermint startup screen (with the loading progress bar fully loaded).

I let it run once for about an hour (hoping that it was just having a brain fart) but nothing. Only way to turn it off it holding the power button down (clt alt del [hold] just makes my cpu fan run super high  :-\)

In grub I tried just about everything under the recovery kernel but nothing seemed to make it boot proper. While leaving the recovery mode I was able to access tty and login.

While logged in via tty I :
Code: [Select]
apt-get purge nvidia*
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-340

It seemed to install fine but still wont boot, I think it is a kernel<->driver issue but have no idea anymore.

I made a new partition and started from scratch (still have the old bootable/unbootable partition). I really need to figure out a clean way to install both cuda-7.5 and a decent nvidia driver so that when a kernel update comes around it doesn't break everything.

So to document, I will start a new thread (not sure where yet) and record my adventures in "Nvidia Land of the Lost".

All the needed personal files have been backed up so my broken partition is open for suggestions. Although, for the moment, I will be working on making a stable system on the new partition.
Linuxize IT!
BTC: 15D8VaZco22GTLVrFMAehXyif6EGf8GMYV

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Updated kernel and now won't boot- nvidia problems
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 03:07:39 pm »
is there an
/etx/X11/xorg.conf
file on your system ?

What happens if you rename it something like
xorg.conf.old
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:17:04 pm »
If you don't (or even if you do) have an xorg.conf file, you may need to run this to generate a new one and activate the driver:

Code: [Select]
sudo nvidia-xconfig

If you already have one, running that will automatically rename it to something like xorg.conf.old.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:18:41 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline s4w3d0ff

• Spray and Pray
    • View Profile
    • Github
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7even 64bit UEFI
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »
Well... to be honest I deleted the partition so I can't give it a try anymore  :-[ but if it happens again (which in my recent case, it will) I'll have a look at the xorg.conf. It has been a issue before.

I deleted the partition partially out of frustration lol. I couldn't get my Peppermint 6 usb to boot . I had 2 Peppermint 6s installed already on the drive and when I hit F12 and boot from the usb it would go to the normal grub boot screen without an "install peppermint" option. So I got rid of both  peppermint installations and now have one fresh one.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:11:30 pm by s4w3d0ff »
Linuxize IT!
BTC: 15D8VaZco22GTLVrFMAehXyif6EGf8GMYV