Choose style:

Author Topic: using a monitor screen with a laptop  (Read 1430 times)

Offline dh2012

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 9
using a monitor screen with a laptop
« on: October 03, 2015, 11:46:52 am »
hello
my laptop a lenovo e530 has developed a screen fault , a horizontal row of dead pixels right across the screen about 3 inches from the bottom , this appears to be a hardware problem ,the rest of the laptop is still ok and i cannot afford a new one at the moment ,so i am considering a external monitor screen instead . what i would like to do is switch off the laptop screen and use the monitor screen only ,  does anyone know if this is possible , and how easy would it be to get this to work  as most monitors seem to mention windows drivers ect ,  i do not want to buy a monitor screen to find it will not work with peppermint  as i could put that money towards a new laptop
        thankyou

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: using a monitor screen with a laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:12:32 pm »
Hi dh2012,

Consult your manual that comes with the e530 or see this web page (starting at page 23 is for the e530). It looks like it is quite easy using the F6 function key at the top of the keyboard (as stated on page 24). Alternately another quick key combination is to press the Windoze key and the letter p key together.

Of course you need to connect a monitor first! It appears that you have a choice of using a monitor that can be connected via either a VGA or an HDMI cable. Cool!  8)

Typically, using the function key it will cycle through stuff like sending the output to just the external monitor, or to both the external and the laptop together, or just to the laptop. Continued ressing of the key will continue cycling through these options.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:15:36 pm by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline dh2012

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:17:03 am »
thankyou very much for your reply , thats just what i needed to know .

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:39:20 am »
Hi dh2012,

You are very welcome. Before buying a monitor, take your laptop with you to a dealer and ask if you can try connecting a monitor (that you are interested in purchasing) to your laptop and test if it works and gives you what you are wanting in terms of nice contrast, speed, wide viewing angles, etc.

If they will not permit you to do this, then I would not consider buying a monitor from them.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome