Choose style:

Author Topic: What have I now got! [SOLVED]  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 6<9-32 Ntbk and P6<9-64 Laptop
What have I now got! [SOLVED]
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:56:03 am »
I have, with the support of the Peppermint Team, installed P6 and got it configured to my liking, even though I managed to well and truly cock things up on the way so I repeat what I have said elsewhere: "Thanks to everyone involved".  I'm sure I would have given up without this forum and the rapid responses to my problems!

However, now that I'm relaxed again I've been looking at what I've got.  The first thing that emerged was that somehow in the big cock-up 'dconf-editor' got deleted or un-installed.  Not sure how important it is but I have now re-installed it.  Nevertheless it does sound the alarm bells as to what other things are missing, or perhaps more likely, things I have that I have that are in fact rubbish - for example un-needed/redundant packages and shortcuts .  So my question is: "Is there a health check program I should run, preferably one that also tells me exactly what hardware I have?"

Whilst posting I thought you might like to know that this forum also solved another problem which was driving me crazy, in fact I thought the computer might be headed towards the trash bin - the keyboard was jumping around all over the place.  I use a mouse and it turns out I had only partially disabled the touched as I found out from others experiencing the same problem which was solved by the forum

Thanks again guys, Carlos
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:36:43 am by Toshmarple »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: What have I now got!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:44 am »
"Is there a health check program I should run, preferably one that also tells me exactly what hardware I have?"

Hi Carlos. You can try the command on terminal

inxi -F

it will show detailed information of your computer hardware

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 09:28:35 am »
Hi Toshmarple,

One thing you can do is open a terminal and enter this:

Code: [Select]
dpkg --verify

what this does you can discover from the manpages for dpkg, which you perhaps should do before just running the previous command. To read the manpage for dpkg enter this in a terminal:

man dpkg

and then press the ENTER key. Scroll down to find the action -V or --verify.

Another thing you can do in the terminal is to run this:

sudo apt-get check

For apt-get it turns out that check is a diagnostic tool that updates the package cache and checks for broken dependencies (this info you can also find by reading the manpage for apt-get).

Then there are the usual other things to do with apt-get such as:

sudo apt-get clean

and:

sudo apt-get autoclean

and:

sudo apt-get autoremove

and:

sudo apt-get --fix-broken

See the manpages for each of these for explanations or use the Search function to find postings about these in the Peppermint Forum.

As far as your hardware (or did you mean software ??) goes, there should not be any difference now unless you physically removed some piece of hardware or you added a new piece (such as a new graphics card or HDD or whatever).

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:31:35 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:53:59 am »
"Is there a health check program I should run, preferably one that also tells me exactly what hardware I have?"

Hi Carlos. You can try the command on terminal

inxi -F

it will show detailed information of your computer hardware

Have just run the above command and all looks normal except that according to Dell this is part of my laptop spec:
"CPU Intel Core i3 (2nd Gen) 2330M / 2.2 GHz, Number of Cores; Dual-Core"

I  can't reconcile the above with the extracted text below which is taken from the terminal screen

"CPU:  Dual core Intel Core i3-2310M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 883.148 MHz 2: 801.117 MHz 3: 885.445 MHz 4: 803.250 MHz"

Can you please explain it to me.

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:37:36 pm »
No problems with the commands but it did clean out a lot of stuff.

Main reason for checking out what's what is because I was told this computer was made in several versions and label did not always tell correct story.  However it seems it is what it says it is and almost everything seems to be running correctly now.  Thanks guys.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:17 pm »
I think it's because Intel i3 CPU uses some kind of hyper threading technology which makes a dual core CPU appear and work like a quad core processor. This is why you're seeing 4 cores instead of two. :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »
It's exactly as sk_sarma says, "core" processors all hyperthread .. effectively having 2 pipelines through each core, so each core "appears" as 2 to the OS
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 03:46:17 pm »
Ok makes sense I suppose except by my reckoning arithmatic does not stack up: 800 something + 800 something does not equal 2200 or anywhere near.  Just curious.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »
To save power/heat, modern CPU's dynamically throttle their speed depending on the demand being placed upon them

See Speedstep:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

and "P-states":
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/05/29/what-exactly-is-a-p-state-pt-1

and click the "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology" text here:
http://ark.intel.com/products/53434/Intel-Core-i3-2330M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_20-GHz

Place the CPU under load (say by running a few youtube videos in multiple tabs) .. then at the same time run
inxi -F
or
cat /proc/cpuinfo
and you'll see the core frequency has increased
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:10:27 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 08:57:43 pm »
Thank you PCNetSpec for briefly explaining :)

The clock speed is low because the default CPU governor is "ondemand". if you have ever rooted an android device and tried to overclock the CPU, you'll see the same mechanism. Ondemand means, the CPU switches it's speed according to the demand. if you're doing nothing or basic tasks, it switches to low speed. if you're doing a lot of heavy tasks, it'll automatically switch to its maximum. It saves a lot of battery, saves the system from heat and in Turn increases CPU life.

you can open up a lot of heavy processes and hit the "inxi -F" command on the terminal while dragging and playing with windows and applications vigorously, you'll see that your clock speeds will now appear higher. (I do that for fun) ;D ;)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 02:36:12 am »
Thanks for that speed stuff, all very, very new to me and great to find out, I really love learning something like that because it really is new (to me) :), not like learning a new linux command for example.  So having established the 'mechanics' of my computer and it's os I will finish with another big THANK YOU to you guys and mark this particular post [SOLVED]  :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
Re: What have I now got! [SOLVED]
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 01:10:48 pm »
You are most welcome. If you want to make the most out of your CPU, you can overclock it. For example, you can increase its speed from 2.1 GHz to 2.5 GHz or maybe higher.  More speed means faster processing and even latest games run smoothly :) However it requires much advanced knowledge and should only be done on desktops. I have read some articles from users on tomshardware who have overclocked their CPUs. Even though it increases the speed, it makes the machine very hot and may reduce the CPU life. Some users have water cooled their PCs using pipes and pumps and other equipments themselves (because the CPU fan alone cannot lower such high temperatures). I'm not from a computer or IT background but all these hardware and software stuff has been making me crazy :D